Is Stevie expendable now that we got Williams?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams is barely number 2. Our WR's aren't that good as much as we like to think they are, we need as much depth as possible.

In the average NFL system I would agree. We are not average. I am not saying, IMO, that we are below average. We're just different.

Mike Williams is a legit WR on this team for many reasons. I don't know how he blocks or if he shows much effort when it doesn't matter (because that's when it does) but if he can muster up something and get his jock on right then we will have great value in Mike Williams. A #1 WR, a #2 WR, #3, #4, etc are labels that the TV dudes made up. What matters is what they bring to the team.

Not to bring up my favorite player my love and my muse, but TJ Graham is an example of that and this coaching regime. For better or for worse they see what they want to see and value effort, hard work and playing every down. No one can argue TJ Graham didn't give effort - you can argue he's not good, though.

Bringing this to Mike Wiliams: If he can stay on this team and get on the field he will need to block. He will need to run solid routes and earn a role in which he puts his team first. A WR that will block for a team that runs a lot is important. Being good at it and knowing that even if the run is the opposite way I still need to get 8 yards up field and cover my guy because CJ Spiller cuts back every time on his 3 yard runs - well, you just can't coach that.

When it comes to catching it is clear. We need big targets that play even bigger. EJ Manuel struggled with placement and the biggest target we can make for him is going to be the better catcher every time.

I do not care if SJ13, Mike Williams and Robert Woods are not a number two, but if all three can contribute an average of 750 yards I will be pleased. Last year and years prior we have shown an ability and preference to find the TE, RB and #4 often downfield. Manuel showed that himself going to the RB and TE often, and Goodwin, as well.

How do you make your roster better? Do you do it by improving talent, or do you do it by cutting talent?

You do not make your team better by filling one hole and creating another. Enough of that nonsense. If Williams is able to clean up his act and he performs well then that's a good thing. Because this team has no cap issues the worst WR's on the roster should be cut after getting a look in camp. I doubt very seriously that Johnson will be one of the worst WRs on the roster.

Quit worrying about what he makes. You aren't paying his salary. Cut the worst, keep the best.

Where in my post did I talk about his salary? Where in this post did I say cut him? You still don't see it! I agree he has plenty of talent. Just like all PGA Golfers. However when crunch time kicks in, only the cream rises to the top. One day you McCain Punch Drinkers will get it. And trust me, it will be this year when he drops another crucial ball.

Where in my post did I talk about his salary? Where in this post did I say cut him? You still don't see it! I agree he has plenty of talent. Just like all PGA Golfers. However when crunch time kicks in, only the cream rises to the top. One day you McCain Punch Drinkers will get it. And trust me, it will be this year when he drops another crucial ball.

This thread is about whether he's expendable. All you talked about were negatives, so please forgive me for assuming that you decided to stay on topic for once. My mistake.

WTF is a mccain punch drinker?

WTF does him dropping another crucial ball have to do with anything since you aren't interested in seeing him cut?

Im confused if Im discussing with Simon or Beerball??? I just read this on CBSSPORTSLINE BEERBALL.

"The Bills are expected to retain Steve Johnson, but if they release him (and his $8.5 million cap hit) Williams would become immediately relevant starting opposite Robert Woods. As it is Williams is worth tracking throughout the spring and summer, especially if Buffalo does not draft a receiver early." I GUESS IM NOT THE ONLY ONE . Also if you want to know....MCCAIN PUNCH DRINKER IS THE SAME AS KOOL AID DRINKER. and DROPPING ANOTHER CRUCIAL BALL HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH HIS CAREER HERE IN BUFFALO. BTW Beerball, as a Moderator,,,,what does WTF mean?

Im confused if Im discussing with Simon or Beerball??? I just read this on CBSSPORTSLINE BEERBALL.

"The Bills are expected to retain Steve Johnson, but if they release him (and his $8.5 million cap hit) Williams would become immediately relevant starting opposite Robert Woods. As it is Williams is worth tracking throughout the spring and summer, especially if Buffalo does not draft a receiver early." I GUESS IM NOT THE ONLY ONE . Also if you want to know....MCCAIN PUNCH DRINKER IS THE SAME AS KOOL AID DRINKER. and DROPPING ANOTHER CRUCIAL BALL HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH HIS CAREER HERE IN BUFFALO. BTW Beerball, as a Moderator,,,,what does WTF mean?

So, you do want him cut? You're beginning to confuse me.

So, you do want him cut? You're beginning to confuse me.

The answer is like in any sports. Do you give the ball to Mario Chalmers or Lebron James with last possession?

Of course I want him cut or benched. Most of you boys are happy with his 1000 meaningless yards in no clutch time. I rather he had caught the ball in New England, in Toronto, in Pittsburgh, in Cincy etc...... Dude ( SJ13 ) has 1 catch that won a game in his career against Carolina. Seriously, do you really think the Bills would miss him? They didn't when he was injured this year. Also, you boys talk about the money. Since I am not paying for anything, who cares about the cap space if the Bills are always under it? Now if Dead Cap space means affecting signing Dareus and Spiller and other young players, then keep him and Keep him on the Bench!

The answer is like in any sports. Do you give the ball to Mario Chalmers or Lebron James with last possession?

Of course I want him cut or benched. Most of you boys are happy with his 1000 meaningless yards in no clutch time. I rather he had caught the ball in New England, in Toronto, in Pittsburgh, in Cincy etc...... Dude ( SJ13 ) has 1 catch that won a game in his career against Carolina. Seriously, do you really think the Bills would miss him? They didn't when he was injured this year. Also, you boys talk about the money. Since I am not paying for anything, who cares about the cap space if the Bills are always under it? Now if Dead Cap space means affecting signing Dareus and Spiller and other young players, then keep him and Keep him on the Bench!

So, cut or benched. What about when they go to 3 WR sets? Is he third best? What about when they go 4 wide? 5 wide? You don't make your team better by cutting talented players. Hopefully the Bills will get to the point where they can cut a player because they have others that aren't as productive. That isn't the case today with Johnson.

Well, you can't re-sign Dareus w/o Stevie being here in the first place.

Because, you know, the Pitt drop got us Dareus.

So, cut or benched. What about when they go to 3 WR sets? Is he third best? What about when they go 4 wide? 5 wide? You don't make your team better by cutting talented players. Hopefully the Bills will get to the point where they can cut a player because they have others that aren't as productive. That isn't the case today with Johnson.

The beauty of discussion Beerball is that we have varying opinions. If you want SJ on the field in clutch situations, then I cant argue with you. But if I was the Head Coach, I would have him out there as a decoy and if EJ threw to him, I would bench EJ!

Dropping the ball in Toronto was a kick in the balls. I don't have any more balls. Many of you on here didn't even wince!

One day you McCain Punch Drinkers will get it

Hey now. Just because I find McCain punch both delicious and satisfying does not mean I want to cut Stevie Johnson. In fact, I admire him for this wonderful taste in McCain punch as well!

I'm guessing back in early 90s when Bills had Kelly, Reich, Reed, Lofton, Beebe, McKellar, Metzelaars, Thurman, and Kenny Davis you would have wanted to cut some of them for same reasons? Nothing wrong with having a lot of good players.

I'm guessing back in early 90s when Bills had Kelly, Reich, Reed, Lofton, Beebe, McKellar, Metzelaars, Thurman, and Kenny Davis you would have wanted to cut some of them for same reasons? Nothing wrong with having a lot of good players.

TBD needs a like button. I'd like this.

Is SJ the last guy on the depth chart at WR? If so, yes he's expendable. If not, then no, the last guy is. When you improve talent at a position, you dump your worst at that position not perhaps one of the top 2 or 3. If we added another TE, would Chandler become expendable? Of course not, but Gragg or Smith probably are.

The wild card here of course is the propensity for SJ to drop key passes in clutch situations. When you 4-12 or 6-10 it doesn't really matter so much. But if you are a 9-6 team going into Foxboro needing a win to make the playoffs and SJ pulls one of his boneheaded drops costing us the game and a trip tot playoffs, it's a HUGE DEAL. Do we want to take that risk? I don't feel real good about it. When it's the 4th Q in a close game I hope they don't throw it to SJ. Not really the way a fan should feel about their "#1 WR"..

I hope SJ becomes expendable because we have 4 guys better.