Schefter: Bills tried acquiring Chris Johnson

Watch the games and you tell me who breaks more tackles Spiller or Jackson? Who do you want carrying the ball needing to get three yards? I don't know how those elusive ratings are generated but he does not break tackles after contact. Just watch him run. He just is missing something. I don't know what it is. Vision, instinct, trust in the line, or intelligence of how the play is going to develop. Like I said if there is a lane he can go 75 yards.

I hope he proves me wrong, goes for 1600, and the Bills need to franchise him next year. But I could see Chris Johnson doing the same, for the same price, signed to a three year deal, and getting some trade value for Spiller.

It's actually balance.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 5m

Bills source tells me Titans called to gauge interest in Chris Johnson, but Bills weren't interested. (1/2)

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 4m

Bills source thinks Titans floated Bills as possible trade partner for Chris Johnson to make it seem like they didn't just cut him. (2/2)

Makes total sense. The Titans little game, if true, definitely kicked up a little S storm throughout Buffalo's talking head community.

We'll, however, see if this changes tomorrow when CJ 2k officially hits the market.

Bills source tells me Titans called to gauge interest in Chris Johnson, but Bills weren't interested. (1/2)

Bills source thinks Titans floated Bills as possible trade partner for Chris Johnson to make it seem like they didn't just cut him. (2/2)

Kinda bush league, if you ask me.

Makes total sense. The Titans little game, if true, definitely kicked up a little S storm throughout Buffalo's talking head community.

We'll, however, see if this changes tomorrow when CJ 2k officially hits the market.

It certainly makes much more sense than the Bills actually being interested in trading for Johnson, which makes no sense at all.

It certainly makes much more sense than the Bills actually being interested in trading for Johnson, which makes no sense at all.

I agree. While I think the Bills are in preparation mode for Fred and CJ's pending contract situations, and looking to add RBs, I don't think they would have been interested in CJ2K's attitude or contract as that answer.

I still question Tim Graham's Bills "source" but some smart poster said this was BS from the start. :)

I agree. While I think the Bills are in preparation mode for Fred and CJ's pending contract situations, and looking to add RBs, I don't think they would have been interested in CJ2K's attitude or contract as that answer.

I agree. I think they are looking at the draft. Some interesting RB prospects coming out. My fav's that won't be too high: Andre Williams, (can't have too many williams); and Silas Red.

I agree. I think they are looking at the draft. Some interesting RB prospects coming out. My fav's that won't be too high: Andre Williams, (can't have too many williams); and Silas Red.

Thought Red was going back to USC for another year?

Anyways I want to draft the kid from San Diego State who God said he was going to get drafted by the Seahawks just to mess him up more than he already is...

It's actually balance.

Interesting response. That is a good way of putting it. FJ always seems to be able to lean, stretch, and twist just enough to get through a crease or get the extra yard. Maybe that is balance. I think CJ lacks more instinct and vision but you may be more correct.

Thought Red was going back to USC for another year?

Anyways I want to draft the kid from San Diego State who God said he was going to get drafted by the Seahawks just to mess him up more than he already is...

Interesting response. That is a good way of putting it. FJ always seems to be able to lean, stretch, and twist just enough to get through a crease or get the extra yard. Maybe that is balance. I think CJ lacks more instinct and vision but you may be more correct.

Redd was a senior. He is projected as a 7th rounder. He was hurt a lot after he transferred but he did play at USC two years.

Spot on. I'm a little taken aback by the amount of Spiller haters. This offense was completely 1 dimensional last season; zero threat from our passing game. When you're starting a rookie or Thad Lewis or Jeff Tuel at QB, defenses know they can stack the box & go after the Bills' most dangerous weapon: CJ Spiller. This completely one dimensional aspect of the offense is what really did this team in. You can't win in today's game when the defense knows that you're going to run the ball because your QB is so inept.

Spiller also dealt with injuries (knee, ankle) yet still appeared in 15 games and started 10 of those. The injuries to players around him also had a negative effect. Even with his nagging injuries, defenses' focusing on him completely knowing that Thad Tuel couldn't complete a 10 yard slant, Spiller still managed a respectable season:

202 / 933 / 4.6ypc

What really concerned me was that his receptions dropped to only 33- that's barely 2 receptions per game. He needs to be in the 4-5 receptions per game category. Spiller proved he is one of the most deadly players in space & he should have been a main stay in the passing game. Especially with their inexperience at QB- the screen pass and wheel route should have been their young QB's best friends.

You don't get rid of Spiller because he doesn't fit into Hackett's scheme; you get rid of Hackett and his terrible scheme if that's how he views a player like Spiller. For Christ's sake, Spiller averaged 6 yards per carry on OVER 200 carries. That is almost unheard of & truly elite production. Yes, he will never be that 300+ carry, ram straight down your throat type RB but that is why you have FJax & Anthony Dixon

Once they add a OT in the 1st coupled with the additions of Mike Williams & Chris Williams, and EJ Manuel not being a rookie a healthy Spiller should pick up right where he left off in 2012

100% agreed!!

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 2h

CJ Spiller turns 28 before the 2015 season. Could be an UFA after '14. Consider that when reading & looking at this: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27 …

so what your saying is hes officially primed for his best season yet?

also, fred jackson is 33. tick tock....

Edited by NoSaint

Would people trade Spiller to Denver for their 1st round pick (#31)? It makes a lot of sense for both sides. Denver needs to go all in with Manning on borrowed time. Doesn't seem like Spiller's talents mesh with Marrone's smash-mouth preference. Would be surprised if Spiller is still a Bill after the draft. Chris Johnson stuff and Bills checking out all the top RB's in the draft seems like there is a lot smoke.

Spot on. I'm a little taken aback by the amount of Spiller haters. This offense was completely 1 dimensional last season; zero threat from our passing game. When you're starting a rookie or Thad Lewis or Jeff Tuel at QB, defenses know they can stack the box & go after the Bills' most dangerous weapon: CJ Spiller. This completely one dimensional aspect of the offense is what really did this team in. You can't win in today's game when the defense knows that you're going to run the ball because your QB is so inept.

Spiller also dealt with injuries (knee, ankle) yet still appeared in 15 games and started 10 of those. The injuries to players around him also had a negative effect. Even with his nagging injuries, defenses' focusing on him completely knowing that Thad Tuel couldn't complete a 10 yard slant, Spiller still managed a respectable season:

202 / 933 / 4.6ypc

What really concerned me was that his receptions dropped to only 33- that's barely 2 receptions per game. He needs to be in the 4-5 receptions per game category. Spiller proved he is one of the most deadly players in space & he should have been a main stay in the passing game. Especially with their inexperience at QB- the screen pass and wheel route should have been their young QB's best friends.

You don't get rid of Spiller because he doesn't fit into Hackett's scheme; you get rid of Hackett and his terrible scheme if that's how he views a player like Spiller. For Christ's sake, Spiller averaged 6 yards per carry on OVER 200 carries. That is almost unheard of & truly elite production. Yes, he will never be that 300+ carry, ram straight down your throat type RB but that is why you have FJax & Anthony Dixon

Once they add a OT in the 1st coupled with the additions of Mike Williams & Chris Williams, and EJ Manuel not being a rookie a healthy Spiller should pick up right where he left off in 2012

i agree with some parts of all this BTW but completely don't on others.

Forst you point to Spillers YPC being not too bad. 900 yards averages out into the 60s per game. Think of a fantasy RBs output. If you had a guy getting only 60 yards a game and only a few TDs a year, he'd be your 3rd or 4th guy. But in real life it doesn't compute to much better.

Second, it's not just about stats. It's about how well he played at times. And he was horrible when it mattered. I have no stats for this but his willingness to pick up 1st downs or big chunks of yardage when it counted were missing.

Third, how can we judge the QB play and the play of the rest of the team and blame CJ for not producing? Fred Jackson says it all. He consistently picked up first downs and grinding out yardage when his number was called on. Again, stats don't tell the whole story. It's about production when it was most important.

Fourth, injuries??? Again, look at 30+ year old, battered Fred Jackson who doesn't even come close to CJs abilities but surpassed him as the person to rely on when it counted.

I don't disagree with what you say about his receptions. Your absolutely right. He needed more touches in space, and in screen plays. He does have tremendous ability.

I'm not comparing him to Freddy or Dixon. Your right. They are a different kind of back altogether and personally I think they want and need someone like Spiller for that change of pace. But that's besides the point. He has had "nagging injuries", your words, not mine. Is turning 27-28 this year, and has shown he cannot be a "300 carry back" again, your words, in a contract year when he will most likely be asking for a large contract. My argument is that you get something for a guy (Peters comes to mind) that won't be here in another year (Byrd comes to mind) instead of losing him for nothing. All I'm saying, is that if you can get a 2-3rd round draft pick for a RB closing in on 30 with the issues that he's had, then you do it. RBs can be picked up late in drafts and compete. It's been proven in the NFL.

I agree that he will most likely be better this year as well, especially of we take an OT but even if we don't, CJ shouldn't have a problem. But that doesn't eliminate the situation that is in front of us.