Marrone Loves Cordy Glenn

Cash

Pass-rushers won't surprise Cordy Glenn, but his season blindsided Doug Marrone

Pretty good piece. I would greatly appreciate it if some of you guys could maybe ignore the author for 10 minutes, and just focus on the content? Would be awesome, thanks.

And regarding that content, I don't think there's many of us here who still have any doubt about Glenn as a LT, but I have seen a few posts here or there, and there's still plenty in the national media who don't pay close enough attention to realize that Glenn has been really good at LT. But these quotes from Marrone should really seal the deal, in my opinion. There's no way the coach would be this effusive about his LT, and then move that guy to a less-important position in the offseason. Obviously if Glenn's play falls off for whatever reason, then a position switch would be in play, but that would have to happen in actual games. Unless that happens, he's our starting LT as long as he's under contract.

I don't think, however, that this closes the door on the Bills drafting an OT high, possibly even at #9. I don't think it's their preferred option, but if Watkins & Evans are both off the board, and someone like Mathews is, then I wouldn't be surprised if they took a guy who could upgrade the starting RT position immediately, while also serving as the backup LT in case Glenn gets hurt, and (down the road) serving as LT insurance in case they can't sign Glenn to an extension. But to me, there's zero chance that an OT drafted at #9 gets installed at LT with Glenn moving over to RT.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty good piece. I would greatly appreciate it if some of you guys could maybe ignore the author for 10 minutes, and just focus on the content? Would be awesome, thanks.

And regarding that content, I don't think there's many of us here who still have any doubt about Glenn as a LT, but I have seen a few posts here or there, and there's still plenty in the national media who don't pay close enough attention to realize that Glenn has been really good at LT. But these quotes from Marrone should really seal the deal, in my opinion. There's no way the coach would be this effusive about his LT, and then move that guy to a less-important position in the offseason. Obviously if Glenn's play falls off for whatever reason, then a position switch would be in play, but that would have to happen in actual games. Unless that happens, he's our starting LT as long as he's under contract.

I don't think, however, that this closes the door on the Bills drafting an OT high, possibly even at #9. I don't think it's their preferred option, but if Watkins & Evans are both off the board, and someone like Mathews is, then I wouldn't be surprised if they took a guy who could upgrade the starting RT position immediately, while also serving as the backup LT in case Glenn gets hurt, and (down the road) serving as LT insurance in case they can't sign Glenn to an extension. But to me, there's zero chance that an OT drafted at #9 gets installed at LT with Glenn moving over to RT.

I hope you are right because, as I am not a Taylor Lewan fan, I have read he is a more of a pure LT (not sure why he couldn't play RT but this is what I read) and that would decrease the possibility of the Bills drafting him.

Lewan should not be a #9 pick. If they trade down into the mid to late teens, then it can be a consideration, but there are far greater talents that would improve this squad that will be available at #9. So many OL prospects that would fill the gap at RT will be available in the later rounds. That, and Lewan isn't as much of a guarantee as you want to see in an early first rounder.

Is there something in the CBA about not being able to negotiate extensions until a certain point into the player's rookie deal? I think there is, but I could be wrong. But Glenn is a perfect example of a player who should be locked up sooner rather than later.

This is amazing.

He played 16 games, gave up 1.5 sacks, and committed 6 penalties.

This is a guy you have to pay a lot of money to.

This

That is why I have been against OT at 9 from the beginning. You do not take a RT in the top 10. You may take a guy to play LT and it turns out that he doesn't have the feet so he remains on the right side. Anthony Davis is the only guy that I can think of drafted in the top 10 with the intention of not blocking the blindside. Lane Johnson was drafted to play with a left handed QB. You certainly would not do it in a draft this deep. Maybe you would have considered it last year.

This

That is why I have been against OT at 9 from the beginning. You do not take a RT in the top 10. You may take a guy to play LT and it turns out that he doesn't have the feet so he remains on the right side. Anthony Davis is the only guy that I can think of drafted in the top 10 with the intention of not blocking the blindside. Lane Johnson was drafted to play with a left handed QB. You certainly would not do it in a draft this deep. Maybe you would have considered it last year.

But, Kiper said Glenn could only play Guard in the NFL. lmao. I agree - get your OL later unless you need a LT. Edited by YoloinOhio

But, Kiper said Glenn could only play Guard in the NFL. lmao. I agree - get your OL later unless you need a LT.

Damn, you beat me to it!

Glenn is one of the many reasons you have to take everything the talking heads say on draft day with a grain of salt.

I'll re-post here what I just posted in another thread, as this is a better place and I didnt want to start my own in case it has been covered.

IMO, the Bills should take Evans #1 if he is available, a no brainer.

Just say no to any OT at #9, regardless of who he is. I think if we draft an OT we almost automatically lose Cordy Glenn in two years, who I predict will be one of the very best LT's in the game. He's already very good. We will likely resign him if we draft an OT in round 2 or 3. If we have one of the top three OTs at RT, he will sign a four year deal for 13+ mil or so, and be totally disgruntled if Glenn would sign a big deal in a year or two, knowing he won't play LT and won't get a massive offer from Bills. By year three he will want to be out the door.

OR, the more likely scenario is the Bills will say we can lose Glenn because we have his replacement, and then we will be in the same position as this year.

Get a solid RT and re-sign Glenn, it's a much better option.

Is there something in the CBA about not being able to negotiate extensions until a certain point into the player's rookie deal? I think there is, but I could be wrong. But Glenn is a perfect example of a player who should be locked up sooner rather than later.

3 years

Depends on the talking head: Mayock was confident about Cordy.

Not really.

On Glenn: “You're talking about a kid whose 6-5 3/4, and 345 pounds and his arms are like vines. He’s got 35 1/2-inch arms. When you start talking about girth and length, he’s huge. Now, some people are getting a little carried away with projections. I'm seeing him all over the place in first-round mock drafts. I don't see that.

“He ran way better than he should have [at the scouting combine] for his size. But I don’t see him as a left tackle. He’s not a foot athlete. I’m not even sure I see him as a right tackle. But that’s where I have him right now. I have him as a solid second-round right tackle. However, if he can’t survive at right tackle, I think he’s got the size, girth and demeanor to be a potential All-Pro guard.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Mayock-breaks-down-tackle-draft-options.html#ORtOqoZ1eeGgztKP.99

It's drives me crazy how fans use analysts boards to justify or bash picks. I like mike Mayock but it's just one man's opinion who has never worked in a NFL front office. And the Bills should lock Glenn up now. He would be a bargain in a few years.

All of this....Boom! There will be those who completely ignore the logic behind ALL of it...but this!

Edited by BigBuff423

I'm confused by the logic of your sentence structure. What exactly are you saying?

That he / she made some valid points and appreciated his or her perspective...that some people on this board will find some of his statements invalid / wrong / or just choose to be generally negative but that in my opinion, his thoughts are on point with where the BILLS stand in respect to Cordy Glenn, the LT position as a whole, and the 2014 NFL Draft relating to BILLS' team needs and Offensive Line. Does that help?

(and FWIW, that was a quick post while multi-tasking, thus the poor conveyance of thought... :doh: )

This is amazing.

He played 16 games, gave up 1.5 sacks, and committed 6 penalties.

This is a guy you have to pay a lot of money to.

And the sacks weren't given up until after the halfway point of the season...he pitched a shutout for a good part of the year...