Johnny Manziel thread

Actions? You mean winning the Heisman? Or are you referring to a 19-20yr old acting like a 19-20 yr old?

Eric Crouch, Tommy Frazier, Sam Bradford, Matt Leinart.....want me to keep going?

How many 19-20 year olds have his fame and notoriety already? He is not your average college athlete. He is amazing at times on a football field, was the first Freshman EVER to win the Heisman Trophy, and now he is getting a taste of what fame is really like. I can honestly say I believe I was doing worse things than him at 19-20 years old, but there were no cameras around and TMZ wasn't waiting to publish my every move.

He brought it on himself. What college QB hires an assistant? What college QB trademarks his name? What college QB is constantly in the headlines for hanging out with celebrities and drawing unwarranted attention to his university. Manzeil is all self inflicted. Is he a kid? Yop, but he is a dumb kid.

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here here!!

Roll Tide!!!!!!!

He might have. If he did he barely mentioned it.

He was really on him about ball security when he runs.

That and the ugly sleeves he wore under his jersey

CBF

Just watched it on You Tube. Man, EJ is bright. As has been said and repeated, if he can put it all together...

I'm certainly not presenting it as proof he won't succeed but just declaring he's 19 shouldnt eliminate any and all negatives(not directed as firmly towards you as much as a tone that many of his diehards bring to the table). He's 19, so he has nowhere to go but up isn't some sort of factual statement. Many of those guys messing up at 19 mess up pretty terribly at 24 too.

Sure, many college kids go out and party before their internship... And when they don't show up and get fired, it hurts their résumé and creates questions. When their background check has an arrest for fighting in the street and providing a fake ID and you pull up their Facebook and it's got pics at the keg parties - as an HR person it's going be another red flag... Then maybe you know his family and are aware of his temper issues... But you see clearly he went to a good program and got good grades... Tons of potential but those guys can easily end up in their parents basement or jail, though they can become the ones that are stars at their jobs.

You've done dumb stuff, I've done dumb stuff... Johnny's done some dumb stuff, was dumb enough to get caught, and has put himself in that situation a few times after and that's a red flag. The media didn't create his arrest, leaving the manning camp to party on bourbon til 5am was a choice he made knowing his situation... Hopefully one of these incidents along the way was the wake up call and he's not just saying but doing the right things. This 19 year old that the media put the spotlight on isn't being drafted as a 35 year old that's going to quietly work in a boring office with wife, kid and mortgage- he's going to be a 21 year old with a ton of money, even more attention and a lot of free time.

The guy already comes from a ton of money and already has had a ton of attention - if you ask me, he's better prepared than most 20-21 yr olds to handle those specific factors. In fact, you could easily make the argument that he'll get LESS attention if he ends up somewhere in Buffalo or Jax, compared to the circus that was Texas A&M/college football.

Edited by bobobonators

Heeeerrrree we go. Let's draft Maziel, and by November we'll have a "Is Manziel just not NFL ready?" thread. and a "Should we draft a QB 1st or 2nd rd of the 2015 draft?" thread.

You make it seem like this happens all the time in Buffalo. How many QB's have the bills actually drafted in the first 2 rounds in the last 10 years? 15 years?

2003: JP Losman

2013: EJ Manuel

Heck, you have to go back to Tod freaking Collins in the 1995 NFL Draft to find another QB we took in the first 2 rounds. And NONE of those 3 QB's were top 10 picks. When was the last time we drafted a QB in the top 10? Lord knows we've had plenty of picks in the top 10 over the last 20 years (probably the leader).

The Bills consistently REFUSE to address the QB position in its entirety, maybe THAT is our problem.

Edited by bobobonators

You make it seem like this happens all the time in Buffalo. How many QB's have the bills actually drafted in the first 2 rounds in the last 10 years? 15 years?

2003: JP Losman

2013: EJ Manuel

Heck, you have to go back to Tod freaking Collins in the 1995 NFL Draft to find another QB we took in the first 2 rounds. And NONE of those 3 QB's were top 10 picks. When was the last time we drafted a QB in the top 10? Lord knows we've had plenty of picks in the top 10 over the last 20 years (probably the leader).

The Bills consistently REFUSE to address the QB position in its entirety, maybe THAT is our problem.

I think it's important to add that they invested #1 and #4 picks in Rob Johnson as well as a #1 pick in Drew Bledsoe. They've spend some draft capital on QBs.

GO BILLS!!!

I think it's important to add that they invested #1 and #4 picks in Rob Johnson as well as a #1 pick in Drew Bledsoe. They've spend some draft capital on QBs.

GO BILLS!!!

Correct. But how long ago was that? I mean we're talking over a decade ago.

He was well mannered and a total gamer. I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

I have to admit that I was totally anti-Johnny football as a pro prospect after his Heisman-winning frosh campaign. His publicized brushes with papparazi-captured collegiate misbehavior only strengthened my view. And when he was politely dismissed from the Manning passing academy, it served as icing on the cake.

But after watching a fair amount of his sophomore season, I think he is going to be a productive player in the NFL, and the way he plays, with even moderate production, he will become an even larger media darling than he already is.

His leadership ability is off the charts, and every team will drink as much of that up as a QB can provide (see Kelly, Jim). He has that ultra-burning desire to win each and every game he plays. He has a ton of Flutie & Favre in him, with perhaps a few dashes of Fran Tarkenton.

Manziel will surely have to dial back on the scrambling to avoid unnecessary hits from the big boys. But his pocket awareness and escapability will sell an awful lot of tickets. I would attempt two front handsprings if the Bills somehow selected him at 9, if he is even there.

Arrested for being a backup QB?! They don't mess around in Texas. Fitz better lawyer up!

Anyway, JM got busted mainly for harmless, dumb college kid stuff--never hurt anyone but himself. Cam Newton is the most notrious nonviolent college criminal to enter the NFL. He's doing fine. I think the college QB who is in more potential trouble is Winston. If his accuser files a civil suit he will have to face at least deposition and, barring a settlement, he will have to testify on his own behalf. Should get real interesting at that point. No cackling redneck law enforcement/DA to sweep it away.

Manziel had no issues all season, yet people are still bringing up stuff from his freshman year and subsequesnt offseason. Who cares at this point?

its true, and like ive said, i dont mean to portray that he couldnt possibly succeed when i bring up the red flags. cams resume may be a good comp point as far as some brushes with the law, a heisman, possible issues with money/eligibility.....

i was much more on the cam band wagon, despite similar concerns -- cam is 6'5, while johnny is a shade under 6'.... cam was 248lbs at the combine, johnny 207.... cam ran a 4.56, johnny a 4.68... i think cam has a better arm... johnny had some great shuttle and cone times though which are promising for an elusive agile guy. i just think cam is a much better physical specimen, and if im going to take a chance on a character issue id much rather it be on a guy thats an absolute freak of nature, rather than someone that also might be overmatched physically at the next level.

johnny has shown flashes though, and they may prove to be flashes of future greatness

He appeared to be what he he always has appeared to be - an arrogant, immature, jerk.

EJ is lacking arrogance, but to be nice I like to say that he lacks trust in his own abilities. Because he doesn't trust his abilities he doesn't put the ball where it needs to be. (he takes the safe route)

Johnny Football on the other hand has an arrogance, not unlike Jim Kelly once upon a time. He believes that there isn't a situation he can't overcome. He'll take chances, and yes, sometimes he'll lose but, I guaran!@#$ingtee that he's coming out the very next series and he's going to go for it again.

What would you rather have, a QB who never takes chances or one who never stops believing that he can find a way to win the game?

If Manziel is there at #9 the Bills would be silly to let him pass them by.

EJ is lacking arrogance, but to be nice I like to say that he lacks trust in his own abilities. Because he doesn't trust his abilities he doesn't put the ball where it needs to be. (he takes the safe route)

Johnny Football on the other hand has an arrogance, not unlike Jim Kelly once upon a time. He believes that there isn't a situation he can't overcome. He'll take chances, and yes, sometimes he'll lose but, I guaran!@#$ingtee that he's coming out the very next series and he's going to go for it again.

What would you rather have, a QB who never takes chances or one who never stops believing that he can find a way to win the game?

If Manziel is there at #9 the Bills would be silly to let him pass them by.

Preferably, I want a QB that's willing to take chances AND has the ability to back it up.

Otherwise he's just feeding the defense INT's. (see Fitzpatrick, Ryan)

JM succeeded in his chances because he had Mike Evans on the receiving end.

Without Evans, Johnny Manziel is another Colt McKoy type player, and a third round prospect.