Johnny Manziel thread

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actions? You mean winning the Heisman? Or are you referring to a 19-20yr old acting like a 19-20 yr old?

Maybe in the past this is why they dont' give the Heisman to Freshmen? They are Freshmen and act like freshmen vs. say a Junior that has matured a little? Manzel had NO media issues till he won the Heisman then he was under a microscope with paparazzi everywhere intentionally looking for things to hang him on. And Wow, they actually found it in a 19 year old college kid... shocking!

Actions? You mean winning the Heisman? Or are you referring to a 19-20yr old acting like a 19-20 yr old?

There are a lot of 19-20 year olds not having the troubles he did. To just stick your fingers and your ears and say your not hearing it is just as unreasonable as those that totally discount his entire résumé on the field because other heisman winners have failed.

Maybe in the past this is why they dont' give the Heisman to Freshmen? They are Freshmen and act like freshmen vs. say a Junior that has matured a little? Manzel had NO media issues till he won the Heisman then he was under a microscope with paparazzi everywhere intentionally looking for things to hang him on. And Wow, they actually found it in a 19 year old college kid... shocking!

He was in the media for his arrest as a backup qb 6 months before winning the heisman.

There are a lot of 19-20 year olds not having the troubles he did. To just stick your fingers and your ears and say your not hearing it is just as unreasonable as those that totally discount his entire résumé on the field because other heisman winners have failed.

He was in the media for his arrest as a backup qb 6 months before winning the heisman.

And I can attest there are MANY more 19-20 year olds doing as bad or worse.

Arrested for being a backup QB?! They don't mess around in Texas. Fitz better lawyer up!

Anyway, JM got busted mainly for harmless, dumb college kid stuff--never hurt anyone but himself. Cam Newton is the most notrious nonviolent college criminal to enter the NFL. He's doing fine. I think the college QB who is in more potential trouble is Winston. If his accuser files a civil suit he will have to face at least deposition and, barring a settlement, he will have to testify on his own behalf. Should get real interesting at that point. No cackling redneck law enforcement/DA to sweep it away.

Manziel had no issues all season, yet people are still bringing up stuff from his freshman year and subsequesnt offseason. Who cares at this point?

How many 19-20 year olds have his fame and notoriety already? He is not your average college athlete. He is amazing at times on a football field, was the first Freshman EVER to win the Heisman Trophy, and now he is getting a taste of what fame is really like. I can honestly say I believe I was doing worse things than him at 19-20 years old, but there were no cameras around and TMZ wasn't waiting to publish my every move.

And what do you think will happen once he gets to the NFL? The media and him will sit in a circle, hold hands, and sing "Kum By Yah"?

We are talking about 19-20 olds. We are also talking one in particular that had to seek counseling to help him deal with anger issues.

(He destroyed a set of golf clubs over a parking ticket). Daddy Manziels response: "They are harassing (Johnny). They know who's car that is."

Wait till the local media publishes a story regarding what Johnny football gives out on Halloween. Should get real interesting then.

And what do you think will happen once he gets to the NFL? The media and him will sit in a circle, hold hands, and sing "Kum By Yah"?

We are talking about 19-20 olds. We are also talking one in particular that had to seek counseling to help him deal with anger issues.

(He destroyed a set of golf clubs over a parking ticket). Daddy Manziels response: "They are harassing (Johnny). They know who's car that is."

Wait till the local media publishes a story regarding what Johnny football gives out on Halloween. Should get real interesting then.

BAMA fan don't like the midget that single handily took down the blue chip factory?

I really like the Gruden QB interviews each year and am looking forward to watching the whole interview with Manziel tonight. His durability issues and some other things that are more correctable like refusing to stay in the pocket when there are open WRs downfield would caution me against drafting him in the top 10, but it will happen. I do think he has the elusiveness, pocket mobility, decent accuracy, football intelligence and competitiveness to be a good NFL QB. I just don't know how long he will last IF he plays the way he did in college and what would worry me is that if he does change his style to avoid the big hits with his smaller frame, will he be as effective? I don't think he will be a bust like some people, I do think he will be good, just not sure how long he will last. Exciting to watch, not sure if he will be a playoff QB. I see him as a Doug Flutie type. One thing I always think of is that - aside from Tebow - there has not been a Heisman-winning QB to win a playoff game in the 26 years. Not seeing he won't be the next one, just an interesting stat that they mentioned when Cam lost in the playoffs this year.

Edited by YoloinOhio

BAMA fan don't like the midget that single handily took down the blue chip factory?

He did?

That's funny, remind me again how many National Championships did Johnny Football/Texas A&M win?

I'll make it easier for you. How many SEC Championships has Johnny Football/Texas A&M won?

Still struggling? How about a SEC division title?

Here's what Johnny Football led Texas A&M teams did against Bama: They won one game.

Arrested for being a backup QB?! They don't mess around in Texas. Fitz better lawyer up!

Anyway, JM got busted mainly for harmless, dumb college kid stuff--never hurt anyone but himself. Cam Newton is the most notrious nonviolent college criminal to enter the NFL. He's doing fine. I think the college QB who is in more potential trouble is Winston. If his accuser files a civil suit he will have to face at least deposition and, barring a settlement, he will have to testify on his own behalf. Should get real interesting at that point. No cackling redneck law enforcement/DA to sweep it away.

Manziel had no issues all season, yet people are still bringing up stuff from his freshman year and subsequesnt offseason. Who cares at this point?

Because as you should know by now its easier to hate and hang on to reasons to hate on someone or bring them down, than to forgive and look at what they are currently doing.

He did?

That's funny, remind me again how many National Championships did Johnny Football/Texas A&M win?

I'll make it easier for you. How many SEC Championships has Johnny Football/Texas A&M won?

Here's what Johnny Football led Texas A&M teams did against Bama: They won one game.

Now Cynical we know you only have issues with QB's named Knight :-) That said Many top PRO QB's never won the national championship in College so lets give the kid a chance.

How many 19-20 year olds have his fame and notoriety already? He is not your average college athlete. He is amazing at times on a football field, was the first Freshman EVER to win the Heisman Trophy, and now he is getting a taste of what fame is really like. I can honestly say I believe I was doing worse things than him at 19-20 years old, but there were no cameras around and TMZ wasn't waiting to publish my every move.

I'm certainly not presenting it as proof he won't succeed but just declaring he's 19 shouldnt eliminate any and all negatives(not directed as firmly towards you as much as a tone that many of his diehards bring to the table). He's 19, so he has nowhere to go but up isn't some sort of factual statement. Many of those guys messing up at 19 mess up pretty terribly at 24 too.

Sure, many college kids go out and party before their internship... And when they don't show up and get fired, it hurts their résumé and creates questions. When their background check has an arrest for fighting in the street and providing a fake ID and you pull up their Facebook and it's got pics at the keg parties - as an HR person it's going be another red flag... Then maybe you know his family and are aware of his temper issues... But you see clearly he went to a good program and got good grades... Tons of potential but those guys can easily end up in their parents basement or jail, though they can become the ones that are stars at their jobs.

You've done dumb stuff, I've done dumb stuff... Johnny's done some dumb stuff, was dumb enough to get caught, and has put himself in that situation a few times after and that's a red flag. The media didn't create his arrest, leaving the manning camp to party on bourbon til 5am was a choice he made knowing his situation... Hopefully one of these incidents along the way was the wake up call and he's not just saying but doing the right things. This 19 year old that the media put the spotlight on isn't being drafted as a 35 year old that's going to quietly work in a boring office with wife, kid and mortgage- he's going to be a 21 year old with a ton of money, even more attention and a lot of free time.

Edited by NoSaint

Actions speak louder than words. His actions portray a different person.

Everyone sounds good in Gruden's little TV show, BTW.

I agree.

I was blown away by EJ on the show.

He was polite and kept asnwering "yes sir" or "no sir" and was even taking notes.

I remember Gruden ripping him about ball security while running. Obviously he forgot to write that one down...

CBF

I agree.

I was blown away by EJ on the show.

He was polite and kept asnwering "yes sir" or "no sir" and was even taking notes.

I remember Gruden ripping him about ball security while running. Obviously he forgot to write that one down...

CBF

I didn't see EJ's interview. Did he mention anything about sliding to avoid injury? I know they have said that about Manziel.

Manziel shredded BAMA's normally dominant defense is all I'm saying.

Put him on BAMA instead of that scrubby Mccarron and maybe Oklahoma doesn't whoop ya in the bowl game.

#gatorchomp. Maybe in 5 years UF will be back....monster qb drought after long run of good ones.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that he's a d-bag.

He did?

Here here!!

Roll Tide!!!!!!!

I didn't see EJ's interview. Did he mention anything about sliding to avoid injury? I know they have said that about Manziel.

He might have. If he did he barely mentioned it.

He was really on him about ball security when he runs.

That and the ugly sleeves he wore under his jersey

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan