Corey Graham to move to FS per Marrone

Fingon

When Byrd came out of College he did not have much if any experience at safety. he was able to transition well.

A. Williams did the same thing. Troy Vincent comes to mind also. It is not like the Bills are tryin gto re-invent the wheel. Precedent has been set that moving a corner to safety can work. Graham has good size.

Worse case he becomes another corner best case we have our safeties in place that between the two of them cost less the Byrd.

We will see after the season who got the better deal, Bills or Saints.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping the coaching staff knew anything about our 4th and 5th rounders.

marrone pretty openly implied that they dont have a ton of confidence in them when discussed at the combine

this semi-implies Aaron williams at SS as a possibility as well, if graham works out at FS(unless they are talking as AWs backup/purely depth).

Edited by NoSaint

Aaron Williams converted from CB to safety, right? Hope we can catch that lightning in a bottle twice.

yup - its kind of the draft tackles and let them wash out to guard transition of the defense. it often works pretty well.

I don't like it.

What do you like besides complaining? I've been saying this all offseason. Get a decent, slower cb with good ball skills and move him to S. It's what we did with Byrd and it's what we did with Aaron Williams. As much as I loved him, the days of Ronnie Lott at S are over. It's all about coverage and putting a corner at S gives you better coverage. Good move and he'll be fine.

What do you like besides complaining? I've been saying this all offseason. Get a decent, slower cb with good ball skills and move him to S. It's what we did with Byrd and it's what we did with Aaron Williams. As much as I loved him, the days of Ronnie Lott at S are over. It's all about coverage and putting a corner at S gives you better coverage. Good move and he'll be fine.

I think AW was our best option at FS.

I think AW was our best option at FS.

What are you basing this on?

Also, on an unrelated note, imagine my shock when I read Chris Brown's tweet: Marrone: Graham to get a look at safety.

Forgot we had another Graham now.

Edited by The Big Cat

Having players that can be flexible with where they play is a great tool to have. If he can play FS and also CB, like A. Williams can, then that benefits us greatly in the secondary.

Yes this! And, if you don't believe in having options and flexibility, you don't believe in injuries. I don't get how people don't understand that inexpensive redundancy is good.

What are you basing this on?

Also, on an unrelated note, imagine my shock when I read Chris Brown's tweet: Marrone: Graham to get a look at safety.

Forgot we had another Graham now.

That was my first thought too! TJ to safety?!?

It would also provide the BILLS with options to disguise certain looks, schematically it provides some opportunities to "shell" the pieces...also, that versatility would allow the Defense to adjust to the Offensive alignment and moving the pieces helps keep the best players on the field, in one respect or another...either way, it's not a "we don't know what the hell we're doing" approach, it's more of a "we're going to put the best players in position to succeed" approach...it's about damn time...now, if Offensive the BILLS could match that philosophy....

This is a great idea. Graham is a superior CB to Byrd at the same position. At FS, I think he can really develop there with experience. AW belongs at SS in my book. There isn't a better DB on this team at run support from that spot, plus he will likely spend less time in the box under Schwartz as it is. I expect a 2 high safety look a little more often than last season. BPA at the top of the draft this year would be nice to see.

Teams are playing a lot of 4 and 5 WR sets. (including fast TE's who can run as fast as the average WR). Offensive teams control the snap and can substitute easier than the defense and can run extra WR out on the field quicker than the defense. Therefore safeties are going to have to be able to go 1 on 1 with a WR more so than in the past. It should not be a surprise to see a trend develop to multiple "CB's" and LB/safety hybrids on the defense. than theththethan