Report: Bills express interest in Kenny Britt

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the incessant need of people on this board to get rid of players. Getting rid of TJ doesn't do anything for the Bills at this time.

Keeping TJ doesn't do anything for the Bills right now. I'm going into training camp looking at TJ to have to prove he's worth a roster spot. At this time, he hasn't done anything to be a lock to make this team this year.

I don't see anything wrong with bringing Britt in, as long as its not for 10 million or anything outrageous. Bring him in on an incentive laden contract. If he pans out great, if he doesn't cut him, if his off field crap continues, cut him.

Britt confirmed to be coming in for a visit, perhaps today.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335887/article/kenny-britts-next-visit-is-to-the-buffalo-bills?campaign=Twitter_atl

A source informed of Britt's plans has told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that the free-agent wide receiver will meet with the Bills shortly, perhaps on Friday.

I don't understand the incessant need of people on this board to get rid of players. Getting rid of TJ doesn't do anything for the Bills at this time.

I agree with you for the most part but in the case of TJ Graham, come on, I think it's pretty clear that the TJ Graham thing isn't happening. I think he'll get a crack at making the roster but I would be surprised if he is one of our 6 best WR's come August. You got your three shoe-ins and then I think Easley is a shoe-in as well given Marrone's attention to special teams. That leaves two spots. One will be occupied by the WR they take in the 1st or 2nd round and the other- I would rather see them roll the dice on a Brandon Kaufman (or perhaps Britt). Again, much like George's girlfriend tells George when he's dwelling on Bozo at Monk's, "it's over for Bozo," I think it's over for TJ Graham as well.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

As much as I think Graham won't cut it in the NFL, he deserves (and will get) another training camp/pre-season to establish himself as a legit NFL receiver. Worst case, he doesn't make it and we wasted the 3rd on him (and didn't take Wilson :wallbash: ) -- Best case, 3rd year is the charm.

As much as I think Graham won't cut it in the NFL, he deserves (and will get) another training camp/pre-season to establish himself as a legit NFL receiver. Worst case, he doesn't make it and we wasted the 3rd on him (and didn't take Wilson :wallbash: ) -- Best case, 3rd year is the charm.

Marrone wasn't here when he was picked, so I have to think he has less "invested" in him even if he was a 3rd rounder. I agree it is harder to give up on a pick like that, but it is easier when you aren't the one who was involved in it. Whaley was involved to some degree, but Nix had the final say at the time so even he might not be as invested.

If they sign Britt I don't necessarily think that rules out WR come draft time, but I think it makes a stronger case for someone like Ebron. You put a guy like that in at TE that will demand attention and that seems to be when guys like Stevie, Woods, or Britt are at their best.

Imagine the lineup. CJ in the backfield, Stevie, Woods, Britt and Goodwin at WR, with Ebron, or Sefarian Jenkins at TE. Good luck defending that. Some great targets. If EJ couldn't succeed in that lineup, we have a major issue.

If its only a 1 year deal with a clause in the contract for behaviour then I have no problem if they sign him

CBF

Agreed. nothing to loose, tons to gain. Guy is a top 10 WR talent if his head if functioning properly. Who knows, perhaps he is in counseling now.

Imagine the lineup. CJ in the backfield, Stevie, Woods, Britt and Goodwin at WR, with Ebron, or Sefarian Jenkins at TE. Good luck defending that. Some great targets. If our line play is respectable and EJ fails with that lineup, we have a major issue.

I think this is better.

On January 13, 2013, Britt's close personal friend was involved in a stabbing and Britt reportedly drove him to the Jersey City Medical Center. When police attempted to ask Britt about the incident, he was allegedly not willing to cooperate. The incident marks the ninth time Britt was involved with police since he joined the NFL.

All I said is that it's odd to cut one 6 months ago and potentially pursue the other now.

I understand your point and when we generalize they appear to be similar situations. But when it's two different people, 4 years difference in NFL experience, and you can even look at things like Britt being significantly bigger than Rogers - it's easy to conclude that they are completely separate decisions for the Bills FO.

miSyKsa.png

25, 6'3", 215#

13th pick of the 2009 Draft out of Rutgers

40: 4.56 seconds

215: 23 reps

vert: 37"

Broad: 124"

20y Shuttle: 4.47

NFL.com predraft write up

Strengths

Positives: Tall with a long frame. Lines up in the slot and outside. Surprisingly quick feet in and out of cuts. Good route-runner who finds seams against the zone. Reaches top speed quickly. Latches onto cornerbacks in run blocking. Strong runner after the catch, willing to bowl over corners and safeties to gain additional yards. Adjusts to low balls well. Makes most of his plays on crossing routes and is willing to give it up over the middle. Uses his body to shield defenders from the ball. Gives good effort blocking, using his long arms and feet to stay in front of a corner. Negatives: Lanky frame lacking strength in the upper body. Has difficulty sustaining blocks downfield against linebackers and safeties. Will need to learn how to use his hands to get off the line. Displayed very inconsistent hands during his career due to poor concentration and hand strength, leading to body-catching too many passes. Should make more plays on jump balls and down the sideline. Does not have the speed to separate after the catch. Not especially quick off the snap, and hasn't faced much press coverage due to his size.

NFL Draft Scout

Post-Draft Outlook: BEST PICK: Kenny Britt, the Titans' first-rounder (30th overall), was a pick the Titans had to make, after years of ignoring the receiver position. Even if Britt fails to live up to expectations, the Titans won't find much criticism in the choice, simply because it is the first time they have taken a receiver in the first round in 11 years. A closer look at the Titans' picks: Round 1/30 -- Kenny Britt, WR, 6-3, 215, Rutgers...With virtually no depth behind starters Nate Washington and Justin Gage, the Titans took the plunge and drafted Britt. Sitting at pick No. 30, they hoped to land either Britt or Hakeem Nicks, who went one pick earlier to the New York Giants. Britt gives the Titans a potential big-play receiver, something missing from the offense for at least five years. - by The Sports Xchange

On January 13, 2013, Britt's close personal friend was involved in a stabbing and Britt reportedly drove him to the Jersey City Medical Center. When police attempted to ask Britt about the incident, he was allegedly not willing to cooperate. The incident marks the ninth time Britt was involved with police since he joined the NFL.

Snitches get stitches. And, how could he be involved with the police 9 times but not cooperate? I mean, clearly, that's a misstatement, right? He has been working with them 9 times... amiright?

Mark my words, Stevie Johnson is not going to be on the Bills in 2014.

This interest in Kenny Britt is not a good omen for him. The very real possibility of getting Evans/Watkins at 9 would also be the clincher. You know Whaley/Marrone want to develop Woods and Goodwin.

Johnson does many things well, and could definitely help some NFL team out – I just have a feeling it won’t be Buffalo. I have to believe TJ Graham is also in danger of getting hit on the arse by the door.

#13 is really not a clutch performer. Despite having 3x1000 yards before last year, he is not worth the $$$ they now pay him. He is a team guy, but the headache factor clinches it. I don’t get the sense that Marrone wants/needs Stevie around for the future with his classic 4 catches for 60 yard outings.

Guess how many 100 yard games he has in his career? The answer might surprise you …

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

This interest in Kenny Britt is not a good omen for him. The very real possibility of getting Evans/Watkins at 9 would also be the clincher. You know Whaley/Marrone want to develop Woods and Goodwin.

Johnson does many things well, and could definitely help some NFL team out – I just have a feeling it won’t be Buffalo. I have to believe TJ Graham is also in danger of getting hit on the arse by the door.

#13 is really not a clutch performer. Despite having 3x1000 yards before last year, he is not worth the $$$ they now pay him. He is a team guy, but the headache factor clinches it.

I don’t get the sense that Marrone wants Stevie around for the future with his classic 4 catches for 60 yards.

Guess how many 100 yard games he has in his career? The answer might surprise you …

I pointed it out in another thread but what logic does it make business wise to rid SJ13? His trade value might bring a 4th - not worth it.

To cut SJ13 and take the cap hit, regardless of this year or next, is ridiculous. We take a $8.5mm cap hit if we cut him this year or next, though dead money drops from $8.5mm to $5.7 in 2015. We then take that money and invest in a replacement for him which would likely cost $4-5mm. That brings the total cost to lose him to $12-13mm.

What do we get? Maybe 20-30 more catches in a season and maybe 250-300 yards. Being that SJ13 showed real chemistry with Manuel it would be beneficial to keep SJ13 even at a diminished role. Also, we have a plethora of youth at WR we can hope to continue to develop - and yes, including Graham.

It makes no sense business wise as is obvious and now we can see it makes little to know sense to do so football wise.

#13 is really not a clutch performer. Despite having 3x1000 yards before last year, he is not worth the $$$ they now pay him. He is a team guy, but the headache factor clinches it. I don’t get the sense that Marrone wants/needs Stevie around for the future with his classic 4 catches for 60 yard outings.

Ok, your words are marked.

I understand your point and when we generalize they appear to be similar situations. But when it's two different people, 4 years difference in NFL experience, and you can even look at things like Britt being significantly bigger than Rogers - it's easy to conclude that they are completely separate decisions for the Bills FO.

Whether they are willing to do the work and accept some of the headaches that come with rehabbing a troubled guy with immense physical talent.

Also both just shy of 6'3, da'rick was 217 at the combine and britt 218lbs, britt ran a low 4.47 and worst 4.56 and Rogers range appears 4.48 to 4.52, Brits vertical 37 Rogers 39... And so on. Physically VERY similar. Britt benched more, Rogers was better in the shuttle and broad jump. A bit right twix vs left twix here.

Edited by NoSaint

I pointed it out in another thread but what logic does it make business wise to rid SJ13? His trade value might bring a 4th - not worth it.

To cut SJ13 and take the cap hit, regardless of this year or next, is ridiculous. We take a $8.5mm cap hit if we cut him this year or next, though dead money drops from $8.5mm to $5.7 in 2015. We then take that money and invest in a replacement for him which would likely cost $4-5mm. That brings the total cost to lose him to $12-13mm.

What do we get? Maybe 20-30 more catches in a season and maybe 250-300 yards. Being that SJ13 showed real chemistry with Manuel it would be beneficial to keep SJ13 even at a diminished role. Also, we have a plethora of youth at WR we can hope to continue to develop - and yes, including Graham.

It makes no sense business wise as is obvious and now we can see it makes little to know sense to do so football wise.

Excellent post

CBF