Jerry Hughes

id guess primarily in 3 man fronts, sure, with mario or hughes as an OLB you may have seen them at DE. and dareus was a 34 DE in college. but expecting a 330lbs and 4.9+ 40 time, or branch and his 5.0+ 40 to move outside and rush the passer isnt ideal. the speed and agility to get around the tackle just isnt there consistently enough. for a play here or there you can get by if beefing up on a 3rd and 1 or such but dont expect branch and dareus at 43 DE consistently.

You wouldn't be putting Branch or Dareus on the outside in a pass rush scenario. It'd be under a heavy base defense meant for 1st or 2nd downs against teams who are using a 12 or 21 (or hell, 22) personnel packages.

• 3 weeks later...

I thunk Hughes is a player so I am glad to hear this and hope it comes to fruition. Since Massare mentioned Hughes in the tweet, he better be right. Otherwise, Hughes is being told he is being extended by someone outside of the FO. So I would have to think he would not do that unless he was sure it was happening.

That said, I hope Dareus is also in the works. I know they are supposed to make a decision by early May.

I thunk Hughes is a player so I am glad to hear this and hope it comes to fruition. Since Massare mentioned Hughes in the tweet, he better be right. Otherwise, Hughes is being told he is being extended by someone outside of the FO. So I would have to think he would not do that unless he was sure it was happening.

That said, I hope Dareus is also in the works. I know they are supposed to make a decision by early May.

If they are going to keep Hughes, now would be the best time to do it. If Hughes has another good year and then becomes a free agent, he will be gone.

I also hope Dareus is in the works too.

I like Lawson and Hughes. They don't seem to fit as well in a 3-4, but as someone else pointed out, the phrase 4-3, 3-4 doesn't fit as so many teams go back and forth. Last year we were in a 4-3 more than 3-4 based on each down.

I still see us drafting a traditional 4-3. I know it would be too much, but how cool to see Mario and Clowney out there together. When Mario gets older, we drop the end of his contract, and still have Clowney.

I don't know what DE would be there in the second round, so any ideas would be great to read about.

From what I am hearing, and looking over what Manny Lawson's role was last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they rotate at the LDE position. Lawson was pretty much always an edge setter outside Branch and Hughes is great when he can speed rush. Either way, due to their builds I wouldn't be surprised if they line up at the 9 technique.

I like Lawson and Hughes. They don't seem to fit as well in a 3-4, but as someone else pointed out, the phrase 4-3, 3-4 doesn't fit as so many teams go back and forth. Last year we were in a 4-3 more than 3-4 based on each down.

I still see us drafting a traditional 4-3. I know it would be too much, but how cool to see Mario and Clowney out there together. When Mario gets older, we drop the end of his contract, and still have Clowney.

I don't know what DE would be there in the second round, so any ideas would be great to read about.

No need to dream about Mario and Clowney. Clowney won't be a bill unless we give up several picks