Chris Williams signed

Sam Monson or Doug Whaley should be fired by November. Monson left no gray area in his assessment of our signing of Chris Williams. I just can't believe that in this day and age a GM could make that kind of mistake. If Monson is wrong and Chris Williams plays like an effective left guard Monson should be fired for talking completely out of his ass and not watching the film himself. Pro Football Focus has built up quite a reputation over the last couple of seasons and Monson has put their good name on the line. I am going to make sure whomever is horribly incorrect gets called out come November (unusual circumstances withstanding). We'll see....

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://insider.espn....s-make-no-sense

Along with the Talib and D'Qwell Jackson deals, coming in at number five is the Chris Williams signing. It is an insider article so I'm sorry if anyone cannot read but I'll post the Chris Williams portion for easy-perusal. It is only an opinion and slightly mine as well, but I'm also open to seeing him try and develop. It's just difficult to argue hopeful development with his established resume of statistics. Not sure if anyone else felt as though the Bills overreached in this regard, but I would like to be convinced otherwise if possible!

"Chris Williams, OL, Buffalo Bills

Four years, $13.5 million, $5 million guaranteed

This move can only be explained as a team not actually getting around to watching the tape of the guy it is signing. I'm not just talking about his 2013 tape either; you could throw in pretty much any tape of Williams since coming into the league, and you would come away convinced that there is a better option available.

Williams is a former first-round pick, however, and has name recognition, which apparently is worth enough to outweigh the 41 total pressures he surrendered last season playing guard for the Rams, a figure that was seventh-worst in the league among guards. Only one of those players surrendered pressure at a worse rate per snap in pass protection than Williams. Somehow, the Bills thought that Williams was worth signing to a four-year contract."

-Sam Monson, Pro Football Focus

I hope Whaley proves me wrong with this signing but I have a suspicion that Sheldon Richardson got a big smile on his face when he read that the Bills signed Chris Williams.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10597325/2014-nfl-free-agency-aqib-talib-contract-early-deals-make-no-sense

Along with the Talib and D'Qwell Jackson deals, coming in at number five is the Chris Williams signing. It is an insider article so I'm sorry if anyone cannot read but I'll post the Chris Williams portion for easy-perusal. It is only an opinion and slightly mine as well, but I'm also open to seeing him try and develop. It's just difficult to argue hopeful development with his established resume of statistics. Not sure if anyone else felt as though the Bills overreached in this regard, but I would like to be convinced otherwise if possible!

"Chris Williams, OL, Buffalo Bills

Four years, $13.5 million, $5 million guaranteed

This move can only be explained as a team not actually getting around to watching the tape of the guy it is signing. I'm not just talking about his 2013 tape either; you could throw in pretty much any tape of Williams since coming into the league, and you would come away convinced that there is a better option available.

Williams is a former first-round pick, however, and has name recognition, which apparently is worth enough to outweigh the 41 total pressures he surrendered last season playing guard for the Rams, a figure that was seventh-worst in the league among guards. Only one of those players surrendered pressure at a worse rate per snap in pass protection than Williams. Somehow, the Bills thought that Williams was worth signing to a four-year contract."

-Sam Monson, Pro Football Focus

Maybe what they are saying is the other coaching sucked and they can get something out of the raw physical talent. It's possible?!?!?!

Also.... Som perspective. Whaley is paid to evaluate nfl talent for a living. The author here is paid to sell stories for a living.

I don't imagine they didn't think they saw something.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

The arrogance of these PFF wannabes is astonishing.

Williams may be the worst free agent signing in the history of the game. That remains to be seen. But I can guarantee that pro personnel staff and others have seen every phuckin' snap he's taken in the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm sure playing twice against SF, Sea and Arizonas killer pass rushes had nothing to do with all those pressures. Not making excuses but those numbers have to be skewed

That might have inflated his numbers but its still not enough of a justification to give a guy who even if you adjusted for that fact still was mediocre at best, is going to make people question your decision making. Hopefully they saw something in Williams that can be corrected and turn him around.

Edited by billsfan89

The arrogance of these PFF wannabes is astonishing.

Williams may be the worst free agent signing in the history of the game. That remains to be seen. But I can guarantee that pro personnel staff and others have seen every phuckin' snap he's taken in the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

But...but...but... Bill Polian, Bill Polian, PFF, YouTube, Bill Polian!!! PFF, Bill Polian, PFF, YouTube!

Usually with stuff like this -- where familiarity with a player is at a minimum -- it's good to go check out the messageboard(s) respective to that player's team. What they're saying (note, I tried to include both positive and negative comments):

Holy Lord, someone gave him 13.5 million with 5.5 million guaranteed? Seriously? Is this the same Chris Williams who played LG for the Rams last year?

I'm not disappointed to see this. If some one wants to pay Williams that much, good lick to them. It just reinforces to me that the Rams are going about this the right way. There is no way Williams is worth a $13.5M contract. The original author got it right when he said Williams' best trait was that he started all 16 games. It doesn't mean he was effective.

Honsestly, a 5th round guard could be just as good as Williams. He wasn't much...

Source: http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/losing-williams-offers-chance-to-upgrade-wagoner.23900/

Hate to tell them, but it's still going to be a gaping hole with Williams.

I thank him for his service with the Rams and I wish him well. But so glad he's gone. Bust for the Bears and not much better here. If he's starting or even a prominent backup for a team than that line sucks. All he did was show up for 16 games. His nickname should be " Placeholder".

Source: http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/bills-signed-g-chris-williams.23892/

*The exclusion of positive comments was not intentional, or by design. There just weren't any.

That might have inflated his numbers but its still not enough of a justification to give a guy who even if you adjusted for that fact still was mediocre at best, is going to make people question your decision making. Hopefully they saw something in Williams that can be corrected and turn him around.

We'll see. Look at Eugene Monroe. He was a bust at LT for the Jags for his first 4-1/2 years and appears to be on his way out the league. The Ravens trade for him midway through last season and then re-sign him to 5-year $37.5M deal.

Usually with stuff like this -- where familiarity with a player is at a minimum -- it's good to go check out the messageboard(s) respective to that player's team. What they're saying (note, I tried to include both positive and negative comments):

Source: http://www.ramsondem...-wagoner.23900/

Source: http://www.ramsondem...williams.23892/

*The exclusion of positive comments was not intentional, or by design. There just weren't any.

Yes, I'm sure the first places Whaley and Co. checked, were the fan forums of the Rams.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, I'm sure the first places Whaley and Co. checked, were the fan forums of the Rams.

GO BILLS!!!

Brilliant sarcasm! The Rams fan forum isn't for Whaley and Co. (duh). It's for us to get a sense of the player we have coming in. How he was perceived by that other team's fan base. I'm not pouring through video, watching Williams's play against the rest of the league. What I posted is no different than a Saints fan coming here and asking about Jairus Byrd.

Brilliant sarcasm! The Rams fan forum isn't for Whaley and Co. (duh). It's for us to get a sense of the player we have coming in. How he was perceived by that other team's fan base. I'm not pouring through video, watching Williams's play against the rest of the league. What I posted is no different than a Saints fan coming here and asking about Jairus Byrd.

A fan forum is the LAST place I would go to get a sense of a player coming in. To each his own, I guess.

GO BILLS!!!

other than polians grade, ive literally seen no one say its a good move. even if it is, ive not seen any indication that we were bidding against anyone but ourselves really. he was cut midseason in 2012, and in 2013 he played on a one year 1m contract with play time incentives i believe. ive seen no commentary better than that he was adequate against weak opponents and overmatched by strong ones last year.... to jump to what we gave him makes the contract a bit of a head scratcher potentially, even if he plays better... drafting brady in the first round wouldve been crazy kind of idea that im getting at

They didn’t spend that much money on him. Folks are acting like he got Levitre money. Bills still have money to sign who they want to. That’s all that matters. We will see come August.

A fan forum is the LAST place I would go to get a sense of a player coming in. To each his own, I guess.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd argue a fan forum is a more reliable source of information than an ESPN reporter; these are the people who watch 16 games per year. The ones who have a true pulse of the team and its players. Educated (and knowledgeable) fans are a resource and should be treated as such.

I'd argue a fan forum is a more reliable source of information than an ESPN reporter; these are the people who watch 16 games per year. The ones who have a true pulse of the team and its players. Educated (and knowledgeable) fans are a resource and should be treated as such.

I wouldn't go to an ESPN reporter, either. They're one step below fans when it comes to player evaluation.

I wish I could agree with your point about educated and knowledgeable fans as a resource because it's usually educated and knowledgeable fans one AGREES with that are treated as resources.

GO BILLS!!!