Chris Williams signed

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel like your going pretty "all in" with the "yea but maybe everyone is wrong and he will play in a way he hasnt the last 5 years on two different teams" card. im pretty sure this is one youre not just allowed, but supposed to be at best frustrated with even if you are willing to wait it out.

I'm just a more of wait and see guy. The Rams and Bears aren't model franchises so there's a very good chance they screwed up. And I don't think (could be wrong) Chris Williams played with a better LT and C combo.

Marrone was an OL in the NFL and a OL coach. I would think he has an eye for OL talent.

I want to believe in this aspect of Marrone, but he did think we'd be fine with Brown and Legursky going into the season.

Not a Spikes fan. If I was playing a team with Spikes on the field, I'd audible to a passing play every time. No a fan on one dimensional players but he is a solid run stuffer even if he is a d bag.

I hear you. It seems (I could be wrong) that more teams are going to a 2 down LB to stop the run. Not sure who a more versatile alternative would be. But I would also prefer a 3 down LB.

Well, the Bills are starting to fix the problems that they created last year and didn't address. Albeit with a guy they think can play better than he has his first 5 years. Now I know why they paraded Carpenter and his family out yesterday like he was Demarcus Ware and son.

Williams will definitely help us stay around 6-10. He's that kind of player for sure.

Edited by Lv-Bills

I'm just a more of wait and see guy. The Rams and Bears aren't model franchises so there's a very good chance they screwed up. And I don't think (could be wrong) Chris Williams played with a better LT and C combo.

hed have to seemingly play a good bit better to get to serviceable, yet alone good though. thats the frustration. we have the money to go get a GOOD player and see if he plays GREAT between our C and LT. Last year we opted to roll with legursky instead (who may have had a better resume in the NFL at that point).

if we spend to the cap elsewhere, cool, but itd surprise me at this point.... especially at a position weve waited a year to find an answer at, its frustrating to be told wait and see again, when there have been about 10 other candidates that wouldve made us comfortable without hurting our cap at all.

Valid point, as I've no idea. I assume he had some say in it.

and if he didnt then, why do we think this is his guy now? you really have to stretch a lot to get excited on this one. even optimism is "maybe he will be average"

Edited by NoSaint

true. But can you find one positive article written about Williams?

I'm not sure this counts, but there were reports this last weekend from the St. Louis Dispatch that several teams (including St. Louis themselves), were interested in Chris Williams. They didn't say who that was, but I would still take it as a positive.

Lets see, this guy has won starting jobs at 2 different teams at 2 different positions. Not even close to a pro-bowl player but still a much safer bet that hoping to find an upgrade in the draft with a player with no NFL starts. Even if a better upgrade comes out of the draft, the bills will have a quality backup at least.

Lets see, this guy has won starting jobs at 2 different teams at 2 different positions. Not even close to a pro-bowl player but still a much safer bet that hoping to find an upgrade in the draft with a player with no NFL starts. Even if a better upgrade comes out of the draft, the bills will have a quality backup at least.

well, thats certainly the glass half full. he was drafted 14 overall, and obviously given the shot to start at T, then moved to guard, then benched, then cut midseason....

I think we overpaid in a desperation move after the run on lineman in the first 8 hours. We needed a LG after letting Levitre go, and not much was left in scrap heap- so I guess we needed to secure Williams. Maybe he can be adequate. And his verasatility is a plus. I am hoping we spend two high picks on oline this draft.

Overpaid? For 5.5 guaranteed it is essentially a 2-year deal. Every OL yesterday got 30+ mill. They weren't all all-pros. Bills got one for 13.5. Also, we are not even 24 hours into FA and the draft is 2 months away. Not worth thinking they are close to done with OL, no matter what Whaley is telling the media about how happy they are about CW.

Overpaid? For 5.5 guaranteed it is essentially a 2-year deal. Every OL yesterday got 30+ mill. They weren't all all-pros. Bills got one for 13.5. Also, we are not even 24 hours into FA and the draft is 2 months away. Not worth thinking they are close to done with OL, no matter what Whaley is telling the media about how happy they are about CW.

Offensive Guards

1. Geoff Schwartz (Signed multi-year deal with NYG)

2. Travelle Wharton

3. Chad Rinehart (Re-signed two-year, $6M deal with SD)

4. Willie Colon

5. Jon Asamoah (Signed multi-year deal with ATL)

6. Zane Beadles (Signed five-year, $30M deal with JAX)

7. Brian Waters

8. Uche Nwaneri

9. Davin Joseph

10. Shelley Smith

11. Richie Incognito

12. Daryn Colledge

13. Mike Johnson (Re-signed one-year deal with ATL)

14. Shawn Lauvao (Signed four-year, $17M deal with WAS)

15. Wade Smith

16. Charlie Johnson

17. Mike Pollak (Re-signed three-year, $5M deal with CIN)

18. Harvey Dahl

19. John Jerry

20. Jamon Meredith (Re-signed two-year deal with TB)

21. Chris Williams (Signed four-year, $13.5M deal with BUF)

22. Garrett Reynolds

23. Leroy Harris

24. Kevin Boothe

25. Gabe Carimi (Signed one-year, $850K deal with ATL)

well, thats certainly the glass half full. he was drafted 14 overall, and obviously given the shot to start at T, then moved to guard, then benched, then cut midseason....

I bet you would rather let the same guys from last year play guard..

if we gave that deal to, say, colin brown - would you consider that hefty?

context. we gave him a deal that expects him to start and/or play regularly for 2 years. not a huge one, but not a guy that you want sitting on the bench. while we played hardball with a guy like byrd, we likely went higher than anyone else in the league was considering with williams....

he may surprise and work out alright, and ill be thrilled - but theres not a lot to hold onto right now to say he will be average, yet alone good.

Lots of assumptions there....