Chris Williams signed

He's average...but then again, that's all this team needs between Wood and Glenn is an average LG

is there anything to point to that hed be average? the PFF score, and his poor rep on the way out of chicago leave me wondering what gets you to "average" as opposed to "not good but we dont have anyone better"

admittedly i didnt watch much of st louis and had no real reason to key in on their left guard the few times i did, so im not claiming any expert knowledge of him and im genuinely curious to hear more

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to hate PFF. Football doesn't boil down to stats like that. I didn't watch a ton of St. Louis oline. Crazy I know? I do know they had a rb who did really well & were able to move the ball with Kellen Clemens. I would think the LG would play a part.

And what I'm talking about. This is what the 49ers do a great job at. They sign former high draft picks & see if they can bring out their talent. Williams was a first round talent. Why not kick the tires on him & hope we can coach him up better? He shouldn't cost much.

is there anything to point to that hed be average? the PFF score, and his poor rep on the way out of chicago leave me wondering what gets you to "average" as opposed to "not good but we dont have anyone better"

admittedly i didnt watch much of st louis and had no real reason to key in on their left guard the few times i did, so im not claiming any expert knowledge of him and im genuinely curious to hear more

I saw a fair amount of him in Chicago...he was generally overwhelmed at tackle, but had a nice resurgence when moved to guard.

In St. Louis, he had some inconsistency, but started 16 games and--when I occasioned to see him play on Sunday ticket--looked plenty capable to me.

I'm starting to hate PFF. Football doesn't boil down to stats like that.

yes and no. its silly to use it to split hairs or argue that one guy was +2 and another -0.5, but ive found it to be rare that when someone scores that poorly that they really had a good season.

per rotoworld:

Free agent G/T Chris Williams is visiting the Bills Wednesday.

Williams started every game at left guard for the Rams last season, turning in a shaky performance at best. He'd still be a nice get for a team as a versatile backup. The o-line needy Rams reportedly remain interested as well

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4722/chris-williams

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports the Texans are interested in free agent G/T Chris Williams. Williams started all 16 games at left guard for the Rams last season, but was overmatched both as a pass protector and run blocker.

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Chris_Williams/3368971/the-st-louis-post-dispatch-reports-the-texans-are-interested

Give me a break.

Makes sense - another guy not on CBSSportsline list of top 166 free agents. I wonder how old Russ is going to package this! So far free agency has been great for Ralphy- he escapes having to pay his top dog.

Don't you know that the teams that spend the most in FA usually make the playoffs? No wonder the Bills suck. The Dolphins, Bucs, Redskins are all big spenders generally speaking and their names are synonymous with winning. Known losers like the Packers, Patriots and Steelers build thru the draft and mid tier free agents like morons.

You know, we've been hearing this same song and dance every offseason for the last 10 years. I get that the Bills want to emulate the Packers and Steelers, and this is their plan. When is the plan going to work????????

You know, we've been hearing this same song and dance every offseason for the last 10 years. I get that the Bills want to emulate the Packers and Steelers, and this is their plan. When is the plan going to work????????

That would be the issue--yes.

If he's the guy that I am thinking of he was a 1st round pick a few years back by the Bears. He was the Rams starting LG. I don't know how well he played but Polian likes him. I do know how well the Bills LGs played so it'd have to be an upgrade.

Edit: His PFF score was -21.6 last year (lowest on the team). That is Eric Fisher territory. PFF isn't the be all and end all but is usually fairly telling. That's not good. I now believe that he is being looked at for depth. He can play guard or either tackle position.

A lot of the time you have to look at the talent around them. That's why Colin Brown's score seems even worse.

per rotoworld:

Free agent G/T Chris Williams is visiting the Bills Wednesday.

Williams started every game at left guard for the Rams last season, turning in a shaky performance at best. He'd still be a nice get for a team as a versatile backup. The o-line needy Rams reportedly remain interested as well

http://www.rotoworld.../chris-williams

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports the Texans are interested in free agent G/T Chris Williams. Williams started all 16 games at left guard for the Rams last season, but was overmatched both as a pass protector and run blocker.

http://www.fantasysp...-are-interested

Overmatched both as a pass protector and run blocker? Ouch! Don't we already have that in Legursky?

23 Aaron Williams S 23 6-0 199 4 Texas

27 Duke Williams S 23 5-11 201 2 Nevada

95 Kyle Williams DL 30 6-1 303 9 LSU

94 Mario Williams DL 29 6-6 292 9 North Carolina State

-- Nathan Williams LB 24 6-3 249 R Ohio State

-- Chris Williams OG

team with the most Williams ?

yes and no. its silly to use it to split hairs or argue that one guy was +2 and another -0.5, but ive found it to be rare that when someone scores that poorly that they really had a good season.

The problem with these ratings is that, in the case of the O-line, the stats do not calculate the influences of the players next to them, nor, the relative play at QB. None of these stats exist in a vacuum, but fans cling to them as if they indicate the whole story. The eye test of the offense as a whole is required for context. It is no different than the Bills struggles against the run without including the relative time of possession the bills offense had the ball before putting the defense back on the field. The eye test for me this year says that the Bills put hung their defense out to dry early and often to start games. Football is a game of context and situations. Just ask Belicek. Microscopic player ratings without in game situational context is a hyperbolic chinese finger trap.

-- Chris Williams OG

I forgot they signed Nathan Williams! I loved him at Ohio State.

Absolutely right. Former Number 1 pick with Upside, typical Whaley. Much better at guard than tackle. Perfect! I don't get the people who want us to break the bank for a LG?

How do guys who've played for 2 teams in 6 seasons have upside? It figures that if they had it, surely that talent would've been demonstrated by now.

-- Chris Williams OG

Well they are the Bills.