Chris Williams signed

I don't think anyone should assume that this deal precludes the team from drafting OLmen...in fact I suspect the opposite is true. In a deep draft, there could be very good linemen available in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

if anything i think it could point to the earlier rumor that they may simply go bpa between lg and rt at some point and put williams at the remaining position.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From teh article posted earlier:

For what it’s worth, Pro Football Focus graded Williams at minus-21.8, the worst grade of any player on the team.

PFF grades, as we say all the time, need to be taken with a huge grain of salt (or at least that's what founder/owner Neil Hornsby says).

Williams isn't trash, and he isn't a great player--I expect he'll be the starting LG, and an average one at that.

Bill Polian also thinks Bethea is better than Jairus Byrd. I don't need to scout the guy, other people have done that for me and from what I've read he's trash. But I hope you're enjoying your kool-aid right now.

I don't need to form opinions, other people have done it for me!

Williams was drafted in a group behind jake long, and ryan clady that included brandon albert, Cherilus and Jeff Otah. so he was the 3rd tackle off the board. with a few others RIGHT after him.

If i recall, and not trying to project here, Albert was considered the safe bet but might not be a tackle. The other 3 were guys that may have been sucked into the vacuum of big need and little talent available.

as for carimi - looking for a LT at 29 is a tough one. its a premium position. hes now signing with his 3rd team, as is williams and neither did great at any stop so far.

i dont know that hes a guy i want to hang with for atleast a couple years as a starter. as a swing back up sure, but it doesnt seem thats what a 3m+ a year deal with 2 years guaranteed is going to be. maybe he will fall to that long term though.

I guess it goes with how much you trust the coaches. Seattle plugged a 5th rounder from GB at OT and won the SB. Plenty of cast offs become solid starters at oline. For some reason, some fans think you need to have 1st round picks all over the oline. Actually on paper, we have 2 1st rounders, a 2 nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder on the oline.

If I want to be negative in March about a position I really don't pay attention to, I guess I could be. But who the hell knows at this point?

While I haven't seen much in the way of contract details, this signing really doesn't bother me too much. He's not an all pro or anything like that, but still probably an upgrade over anything they have from the perspective of run blocking. From a broader view, I prefer this move to drafting a LG in the 2nd or 3rd round. It leaves the draft more open in terms of drafting players at positions that could have greater impact.

PFF grades, as we say all the time, need to be taken with a huge grain of salt (or at least that's what founder/owner Neil Hornsby says).

Williams isn't trash, and he isn't a great player--I expect he'll be the starting LG, and an average one at that.

salt taken, but even the local paper was hitting him as a shakey player and there was the description that he struggle both in the run and pass game

Edited by NoSaint

Makes sense - another guy not on CBSSportsline list of top 166 free agents. I wonder how old Russ is going to package this! So far free agency has been great for Ralphy- he escapes having to pay his top dog.

Perhaps they should eliminate their scouting department since all they need to do is look at CBS Sportsline

While I haven't seen much in the way of contract details, this signing really doesn't bother me too much. He's not an all pro or anything like that, but still probably an upgrade over anything they have from the perspective of run blocking. From a broader view, I prefer this move to drafting a LG in the 2nd or 3rd round. It leaves the draft more open in terms of drafting players at positions that could have greater impact.

He will be surrounded by Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood. IMO and I'm no oline expert, but I think that's an upgrade for him over St. Louis (Long has struggled with injures and Scott Wells is getting old).

salt taken, but even the local paper was hitting him as a shakey player and there was the description that he struggle both in the run and pass game

I saw that--the one from Rotoworld.

I won't claim that Williams is a road-grader or anything; just that I think he's a decent starter that can be a bridge until a younger guy like 'Unga or a draft pick can take over.

Bill Polian also thinks Bethea is better than Jairus Byrd. I don't need to scout the guy, other people have done that for me and from what I've read he's trash. But I hope you're enjoying your kool-aid right now.

Drinking the kool-aid on a stop-gap LG who will probably start for a year or two is a hellava better plan than freaking out over a stop gap player who will likely start for a year or two.

Legursky and Brown sucked. Our GM and his scouts think he will be a better option. Doug Marrone is good with OL. It is very likely this pick has Marrone's consent. Again, he costs 3.5 mil per season. What am I missing?

Edited by stony

chris williams, mike causin, and a kicker. Bring on the broncos!

18 hours, 2 re-signings, 1 new starter. Bring on the unwarranted sarcasm and FO bashing!

Is it too much to ask that we wait and see what happens for at least a full day, or--gasp!--even a week or two before we have our collective "we suck another year of no playoffs I hate my life" meltdown?

Drinking the kool-aid on a stop-gap LG who will probably start for a year or two is a hellava better plan than freaking out over a stop gap player who will likely start for a year or two.

Legursky and Brown sucked. Our GM and his scouts think he will be a better option. Doug Marrone is good with OL. It is very likely this pick has Marrone's consent. Again, he costs 3.5 mil per season. What am I missing?

our guys picked legursky and brown who you think sucked, while passing on a slew of options is of course part of the worry, no?