I'm mad as hell & I'm not gonna take it any more!

Virgil

Let's remember this post for next year when we're having the same conversation. For the 14th off season in a row. Then maybe you will see the pattern.

I think that I addressed the "pattern" earlier in the post but: 7 current starters were resigned (Wood, Stevie, Leodis, Urbik, Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams and Freddie) 4 more added through free agency (Pears, Chris Williams, Mario Williams and Manny Lawson) & 10 not yet eligible for an extension (Hughes, Dareus, Gilmore, Woods, Duke Williams, Spiller, Kiko, Bradham, Manuel and Glenn) TE is up in the air, and I used the other guys that I think are the starters now. Mario & Lawson would have to be considered upgrades as will be whoever replaces Pears.

This regime has chosen not pay Byrd $9M & $8M for Levitre. It is about the roster not a player (outside of QB). I'm just not seeing that pattern?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This regime has chosen not pay Byrd $9M & $8M for Levitre. It is about the roster not a player (outside of QB). I'm just not seeing that pattern?

They let them walk for nothing when there are tools available to assure teams get compensation for their elite players. The Bills chose not to use those tools (again) and instead of continuing to build their overhauled roster (again) they are left filling holes that they create out of their own unwillingness to pay their own star players.

You may see it as the team trying to be fiscally prudent and not overpay for two guys. But that's a tough argument to make when we're sitting 20 million under the cap (and have been under the cap, significantly so) for nearly the entire 13 year playoff drought. That's OBD worrying more about their own bottom line than fielding a team capable of winning.

They let them walk for nothing when there are tools available to assure teams get compensation for their elite players. The Bills chose not to use those tools (again) and instead of continuing to build their overhauled roster (again) they are left filling holes that they create out of their own unwillingness to pay their own star players.

You may see it as the team trying to be fiscally prudent and not overpay for two guys. But that's a tough argument to make when we're sitting 20 million under the cap (and have been under the cap, significantly so) for nearly the entire 13 year playoff drought. That's OBD worrying more about their own bottom line than fielding a team capable of winning.

How many teams have a total of 17 starters that were either resigned or still on their rookie contracts? That is good cap management IMO. It's not like a $60M deal for Mike Wallace.

Again, the last 13 years is not really relevant o this conversation. This is what you are saying that you want to develop young players with talent.

I think that I addressed the "pattern" earlier in the post but: 7 current starters were resigned (Wood, Stevie, Leodis, Urbik, Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams and Freddie) 4 more added through free agency (Pears, Chris Williams, Mario Williams and Manny Lawson) & 10 not yet eligible for an extension (Hughes, Dareus, Gilmore, Woods, Duke Williams, Spiller, Kiko, Bradham, Manuel and Glenn) TE is up in the air, and I used the other guys that I think are the starters now. Mario & Lawson would have to be considered upgrades as will be whoever replaces Pears.

Exactly. We are keeping talent and I think we'll see plenty of our young guys retained. I can't justify paying $9 million for a safety. I can count on one hand the number of safeties I've watched in the past 10-15 years that have a huge, continuous impact on the game. Guards are important, but Levitre was overpaid. He's wasn't our modern Joe D. I liked him, but not enough to pay him $8 million a year.

You wonder why free agent dont sign here's my 3 answers.

1. The Bills have a losing culture only one winning season the last 15, that was Jairus Birds number one reason for signing in New Orleans A winning culture.

2. Lousy winter weather in Buffalo reason number2. I'm in Orlando today and its 80 and sunny. Look out your windows and what do you see....

3. Not know for paying big bucks to free agents.

4. Taxes are higher in NY

How many teams have a total of 17 starters that were either resigned or still on their rookie contracts? That is good cap management IMO. It's not like a $60M deal for Mike Wallace.

Again, the last 13 years is not really relevant o this conversation. This is what you are saying that you want to develop young players with talent.

Only to a blind optimist or a complete homer (both of which are fine to be, I'm not judging) is the past 13 years irrelevant to this conversation.

Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it. Hell, Rust Cohle could have been talking about the Bills when he was going on about time being a flat circle. Sure does feel that way to anyone who has been paying attention the past decade.

Exactly. We are keeping talent and I think we'll see plenty of our young guys retained. I can't justify paying $9 million for a safety. I can count on one hand the number of safeties I've watched in the past 10-15 years that have a huge, continuous impact on the game. Guards are important, but Levitre was overpaid. He's wasn't our modern Joe D. I liked him, but not enough to pay him $8 million a year.

Forget the concept of over paying for them. Wouldn't you rather have gotten a pick or two from losing Levitre or Byrd? Isn't getting something better than getting nothing? I don't know about you, but I would think a draft pick or two in a draft as deep as this one is supposed to be would be better than the feeling of satisfaction I get as a fan over someone else not paying their money to a guy who makes our team better.

It's not your money on the line. But Ralph and his family thank you for continuing to support his ponzi scheme.

Only to a blind optimist or a complete homer (both of which are fine to be, I'm not judging) is the past 13 years irrelevant to this conversation.

Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it. Hell, Rust Cohle could have been talking about the Bills when he was going on about time being a flat circle. Sure does feel that way to anyone who has been paying attention the past decade.

Forget the concept of over paying for them. Wouldn't you rather have gotten a pick or two from losing Levitre or Byrd? Isn't getting something better than getting nothing? I don't know about you, but I would think a draft pick or two in a draft as deep as this one is supposed to be would be better than the feeling of satisfaction I get as a fan over someone else not paying their money to a guy who makes our team better.

It's not your money on the line. But Ralph and his family thank you for continuing to support his ponzi scheme.

That is where we disagree. I am saying based on the stats from above that pattern is certainly changing. 17 starters either resigned or on rookie deals. If Chandler were to return 18. That's high.

1. The Bills have a losing culture only one winning season the last 15, that was Jairus Birds number one reason for signing in New Orleans A winning culture.

2. Lousy winter weather in Buffalo reason number2. I'm in Orlando today and its 80 and sunny. Look out your windows and what do you see....

having the highest paid defensive player in the league kinda ruins your not paying big bucks to FAs and the 4th reason when you said three doesnt help either

The Saints paid him what? 9.6 mill per, and if he helps them get to another super bowl, and they win it again... will he be worth it then? Anyway, apparently the Saints thought he was worth the money.

Andy Levitre didn't miss a game his entire time in Buffalo, and graded as the team best pass blocker. The Bills proceeded to replace him with garbage, and paid them garbage and in return got garbage play. This year they went dumpster diving into the Rams dumpster and came away with their worst O linemen. :doh:

Last season 108 hits, 48 sacks, and nearly 20+ more sacks then the previous season The Bills drafted a rookie QB with their #1 pick, and now has three 2nd year QB's on the roster. Yea, it makes perfect sense to me to bring in a bunch of rookie QB's and have them run for their lives...because they all suck. SSDY :bag:

Yawn. Same old false story.

1) winning teams have one thing in common, a great QB. We neglected that position for two decades. If EJ steps up, all of a sudden the Bills will have a 'Winning Culture'

2) Most players don't live in the city they play for all year round. The weather in Buffalo from June through October is arguably the best in the country. (Orlando is disgusting as is a large percentage of Florida - no thanks)

3) Paying big bucks to free agents isn't really the best way to build a team. It's been talked about, ad nauseum.

such a tough last name to spell correctly ...... :wallbash: ...... Bird, Byrd, whatever - does that warm Orlando sun melt your brain ?

When you look across the Bills roster, who are the elite, i.e. All-Pro type players that make plays for this team? Mario is one, but there isn't another guy on that team who can be considered in that category. There are some good players, but nothing that a team has to account for. I know Bills fans love their guys, but I'm looking for an objective opinion. The truth is, there aren't any. No WR's, no RB's, no TE's, no other pass-rushers, no OT's, and definitely no QB's.

There are plenty of nice role players. And that's why it's a 6-7 win team year after year. The faces have changed, but the results haven't.