Bills Sign LB Keith Rivers

Why rag the guy. You don't know the situation he was in with his last team or his position with the staff.

Some people need a fresh start and Buffalo may be a great place for him to play!

How about "WELCOME TO THE BILLS AND BUFFALO KEITH! WE NEED YOU MAN! PROVE THE NAYSAYERS WRONG!"

everyone just enjoys bitching here.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wilson probably ripped one in his bed and one of the henchman thought he heard him say "rivers" instead.

Fwiw, my 3rd grade sense of humor and I chuckled. It might be a better method than throwing darts. Ralphs flatulence could act as a sort of "magic 8 ball" with regards to deciding on FA acquistions.

In all seriousness, the Giants fans I've heard from say he was invisible, though he has been oft injured as already pointed out. The PFF numbers are encouraging at least. Lord knows we couldn't stop the run at all effectively. 1.25 million guaranteed? Why not?

Edited by SmokinES3

70% of Giants fan said to dump him. Moats looks like he would be an upgrade over Rivers. $5MM? Seems like a huge number for no production.

Where do you get that idea? I don't sub to PFF, but CBS.com is reporting that Pro Football Focus had Rivers ranked the #18 OLB last season... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24480259/bills-sign-cb-corey-graham-olb-keith-rivers

He had 45 tackles as a 2-down OLB setting the edge vs. the run...That's a pretty major need in Buffalo...He's not flashy, but when he's healthy he's been effective...And he did play 16 games last year...No production?

And $5 million for two years is a lot for a veteran NFL LB who is going to start on base downs? Really? :huh:

Edited by KOKBILLS

Where do you get that idea? I don't sub to PFF, but CBS.com is reporting that Pro Football Focus had Rivers ranked the #18 OLB last season... http://www.cbssports...lb-keith-rivers

He had 45 tackles as a 2-down OLB setting the edge vs. the run...That's a pretty major need in Buffalo...He's not flashy, but when he's healthy he's been effective...And he did play 16 games last year...No production?

And $5 million for two years is a lot for a veteran NFL LB who is going to start on base downs? Really? :huh:

Don't give these guys actual facts they can not process them!

what part of "he can line up anywhere" did you not understand?

The Giants currently view LB Keith Rivers as a versatile reserve capable of playing both weak-side and middle linebacker.

Rivers is currently working behind WLB Michael Boley, and DC Perry Fewell says "at some point in time, he'll play some Mike linebacker for us as we continue in our OTAs." It's possible Rivers could eventually push current first-team MLB Chase Blackburn. Boley and Mathias Kiwanuka are locked in as outside starters.

Source: New York Daily News

Thu, May 31, 2012 11:08:00 AM

Remind me again where he lines up on this team. He most definitely will not be replacing Kiko in the middle. He's an OLB. Plain and simple. Just because you can line somebody up anywhere doesn't make it right. Use your head, man.

Rivers is an outside linebacker, meaning that this move will not affect the role Kiko Alonso will play next season. Rivers remains a solid two-down linebacker. SB Nation's New York Giants blog said Rivers "had a quiet, but pretty effective season. He played 16 games for the first time in his injury-riddled six-year career."

Source:Bufflarumbings

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, this is the Bills, not the Giants.

Edited by Rockinon

Remind me again where he lines up on this team. He most definitely will not be replacing Kiko in the middle. He's an OLB. Plain and simple. Just because you can line somebody up anywhere doesn't make it right. Use your head, man.

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, this is the Bills, not the Giants.

Given there are rumors the bills want to slide kiko outside and we brought in 2 mlbs last week.... I'd say we just don't know the plan on this one yet. Could land either way, though likely rivers goes outside

Edited by NoSaint

everyone just enjoys bitching here.

Of course....the nickname Bickering Bills in the 90's actually came from here.

Given there are rumors the bills want to slide kiko outside and we brought in 2 mlbs last week.... I'd say we just don't know the plan on this one yet. Could land either way,

That's still a possibility. I just don't see them doing that without a backup plan. Kiko did a pretty fine job in the middle last year.

This guy was great in cincy, before his jaw was busted.

Man, that must have been a nasty hit. Edited by Rockinon

Of course....the nickname Bickering Bills in the 90's actually came from here.

That's still a possibility. I just don't see them doing that without a backup plan. Kiko did a pretty fine job in the middle last year.

Wouldn't the backup plan be bringing in a FA that can play either, in case it doesn't work out as hoped? (Ie rivers)

Revis to Pats

Rivers to Bills

Ha

Wouldn't the backup plan be bringing in a FA that can play either, in case it doesn't work out as hoped? (Ie rivers)

I don't get this argument

First we are discussing if Keith Rivets can play inside. Then you bring up Le Rivers? Where is he going to play? We only can put 3, 4 max, LB's on the field.

I like the Corey Graham signing. The signings of Rivers and Williams are scary. Why would the Bills need to sign these guys so early in free agency? Makes no sense to me.

Why is it scary? Rivers will be on the field on run downs. He will be off the field when go to Nickel. Did you ever think maybe he sucked last year because the Giants tried to make him an every down player when he simply might be a role playing run stopper?

He was on track and playing well until Hines Ward knocked him out and broke his jaw a few years ago on a peel back block. I think he was hurt with the Giants as well

The Trent Edwards of linebackers has arrived!

Don't give these guys actual facts they can not process them!

Agreed. Most just regurgitate what they hear or "scout" players on yourube. God forbid we give these guys a chance before people bash them. The Bills did a fine job in last years offseason, they've earned a chance this year. Anyways enough of me... I'll let the TSW "experts" get back to their conclusions

I don't mind this. Quietly productive and miscast guys are a market inefficiency that Whaley can exploit, and they can do it with players that aren't getting heavy traction elsewhere. They showed this last year by turning Sheppard into Hughes, and by picking up Branch and Lawson.

A lot of times these guys just need two things - the right system and to be needed by somebody. NE does this all the time - and of course it is easier for them to attract players now, but the fact remains that they pick up a mix of a few flashy players who have been cast to the curb, and a bunch of effective role players.

I don't mind this. Quietly productive and miscast guys are a market inefficiency that Whaley can exploit, and they can do it with players that aren't getting heavy traction elsewhere. They showed this last year by turning Sheppard into Hughes, and by picking up Branch and Lawson.

A lot of times these guys just need two things - the right system and to be needed by somebody. NE does this all the time - and of course it is easier for them to attract players now, but the fact remains that they pick up a mix of a few flashy players who have been cast to the curb, and a bunch of effective role players.

Ok, lets play this out in to 6 months from now. We have drafted Mack. He is the starting LB. How could this be anything but good?

This is not going to be a Kirk Morrison / Kelvin Sheppard issue no matter who mans the middle. Morrison was a far better MLB then Sheppard was and Rivers is going to be a key player for depth at the very most. And I hope he does do more then that but I really expect him to get many of us saying "yeah, that was good, I like that we got him" for one play every few games. That would be enough for me.

(and I meant what I was saying as a continuation to what you were saying, not as a correction, if that is what it may seem - sorry).

Edited by jboyst62

Even Polian had 32 LB's ranked higher and gave him a C-

Puzzling signing, I hope they are right about what they see in him. I also hope we were bidding against someone because it almost seems like he could have been a camp signing,

Hard to get excited about the Buffalo Bottom Feeders (aka Bills).

Seriously, how does signing part time starters from non-contenders make the Bills contenders? It doesn't make sense. Welcome to Buffalo "Home of the Last Big Contract" for UFA's.