Bills Sign LB Keith Rivers

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with targeting those market inefficiencies - The odd dynamic is that we don't seem to be getting the value out of rivers and Williams like many expect. Beat writers at both former cities pegged them as 1 year vet minimum guys. If that was accurate, granted a big if, we might've found guys that should've been really cheap, and paid them fair market instead of taking advantage of the situation like you point out. For reference they are coming off 1 year deals that combined are less then we gave rivers this year for 2014 alone (though I think Williams hit some snap count escalators that bumped him into the 2s)

Graham is a different story and the type I'd compare to Lawson, branch etc.... though.

Excellent post and agreed on all counts. Either signing (Williams/Rivers) could work out well for the Bills if the player elevates his game and becomes a quality starter. But both guys are coming out of lackluster situations, and the Bills are paying them like they already know that both will be effective starters. And don't get me started on the Carpenter contract. Yikes.

These are small-time mistakes, and if the players in question perform as well as the Bills hope, then there's no problem. But you can't be right 100% of the time. If they'd brought in both of these guys at the vet minimum or close, I'd feel a lot better about the signings. Although I like the Rivers signing better than Williams. Only a 2 year deal, and with the guaranteed money, he basically can't be cut if he gets beat out in camp. He's definitely an upgrade to the overall depth, even if he's maybe not what you're looking for as a starter. If he does get beat out this year or in 2015 training camp, I'd expect to see him cut rather than earn $2.5 million as a backup.

1) he may not even see the second year. Huge difference in his money & Byrd's

2) folks gotta stop pretending they know how the Byrd contract talks went. We have no idea & it's pure speculation.

It is not speculation. From two news sources the Bills offered Byrd in the neighborhood of $7.5 million per year. If that is true, which I don't see why it wouldn't be the Bills should be ashamed of themselves. They knew all along that offer was not going to be good enough, they just wanted to throw it out there to say tey tried. They have no problem though giving out 300% raise increase to 2 guys that for allintents & purposes have been busts since they have been in the league. This organization makes me sick. Biggest joke in the league.

It is not speculation. From two news sources the Bills offered Byrd in the neighborhood of $7.5 million per year. If that is true, which I don't see why it wouldn't be the Bills should be ashamed of themselves. They knew all along that offer was not going to be good enough, they just wanted to throw it out there to say tey tried. They have no problem though giving out 300% raise increase to 2 guys that for allintents & purposes have been busts since they have been in the league. This organization makes me sick. Biggest joke in the league.

Bye.

That's still a possibility. I just don't see them doing that without a backup plan. Kiko did a pretty fine job in the middle last year.

well, in a surprise twist it sounds like BOTH rivers and kiko will be outside....