Bills Sign LB Keith Rivers

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh... 13 years of experience of seeing the same song and dance?

It wasn't the FO fault in 2002 and 2004 when Drew Bledsoe couldn't get over the hump (I KNOW everyone remembers losing to the Steelers 3rd string) and 2008 and 2011 when the Bills were 6-2. Yes, they've been a terrible organization but they can't take ALL the blame between whats happened from 1999 to now. This is a NEW GM who, until proves otherwise, has some sort of vision for the team.

Have a little faith that the FO is doing their homework. I bet they watched all the game film available on these guys, and should be better evaluators than the guys that write news articles for a living. I bet some of you guys think the close their eyes and throw darts at the free agent boards.

Moats is a DE in a 4-3 and has been playing out of position since he was drafted.

IMO, Rivers is being brought in because he is good against the run (something the Bills suck at), so if he's a situational LB, then I have no problem with the signing.

It wasn't the FO fault in 2002 and 2004 when Drew Bledsoe couldn't get over the hump (I KNOW everyone remembers losing to the Steelers 3rd string) and 2008 and 2011 when the Bills were 6-2. Yes, they've been a terrible organization but they can't take ALL the blame between whats happened from 1999 to now. This is a NEW GM who, until proves otherwise, has some sort of vision for the team.

It's a new GM who's been with the team for 3 seasons. He's not new. And a new GM isn't the issue. It's the men controlling the purse strings. Learn their names.

Have a little faith that the FO is doing their homework. I bet they watched all the game film available on these guys, and should be better evaluators than the guys that write news articles for a living. I bet some of you guys think the close their eyes and throw darts at the free agent boards.

You bet?! You better sure as hell EXPECT them to do this. It is their job.

Oh ya, a lot of guys around here were bashing the deals that brought Manny and Jerry in.

Not really. Most were in fact pretty happy. Lawson was a long time successful starter on a cheap deal and Hughes was trading a cut for a free shot at another guy.

Not really. Most were in fact pretty happy. Lawson was a long time successful starter on a cheap deal and Hughes was trading a cut for a free shot at another guy.

Yes, I'm sure it was all rainbows and butterflies around here about the signings. Usually is...

70% of Giants fan said to dump him. Moats looks like he would be an upgrade over Rivers. $5MM? Seems like a huge number for no production.

Wow that is exceptional work. How did u have time to poll all of the Giants fans??? Did u watch a Bills game last year Moats was the worst player on the field hence the benching for Nigel smoke it up Bradham.

Moats is a DE in a 4-3 and has been playing out of position since he was drafted.

IMO, Rivers is being brought in because he is good against the run (something the Bills suck at), so if he's a situational LB, then I have no problem with the signing.

I said when they brought in Schwartz -

1) we'd probably be looking at a 43 guy

2) he'd be a 2 down guy

3) it'd be cheap as it's not where he invests

Traditionally he's run that basic 43 and spends heavily on the line not lbs to make it work.

This fits that mold still, as does the LB coach he hired and Brinkley coming in for a look last week. And not spending big on Byrd, again defensive line being where the premium resources go in his scheme.

We will see but I still suspect were moving towards a Schwartz defense.

Edited by NoSaint

70% of Giants fan said to dump him. Moats looks like he would be an upgrade over Rivers. $5MM? Seems like a huge number for no production.

Only half of the contract is guaranteed, so that means $1.25 base salary per season which isn't too bad, slightly above vet minimum and par for the course for a depth signing

Why rag the guy. You don't know the situation he was in with his last team or his position with the staff.

Some people need a fresh start and Buffalo may be a great place for him to play!

How about "WELCOME TO THE BILLS AND BUFFALO KEITH! WE NEED YOU MAN! PROVE THE NAYSAYERS WRONG!"

No. He is an OLB.

what part of "he can line up anywhere" did you not understand?

The Giants currently view LB Keith Rivers as a versatile reserve capable of playing both weak-side and middle linebacker.

Rivers is currently working behind WLB Michael Boley, and DC Perry Fewell says "at some point in time, he'll play some Mike linebacker for us as we continue in our OTAs." It's possible Rivers could eventually push current first-team MLB Chase Blackburn. Boley and Mathias Kiwanuka are locked in as outside starters.

Source: New York Daily News

Thu, May 31, 2012 11:08:00 AM