Bills Sign LB Keith Rivers

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Word is we offered him 10mil...how is that stingy? Yes, it's not confirmed, but let's not just be negative for negativity's sake. This seems a good value pick...and considering their success with Hughes and Lawson, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...kinda love what they're doing this FA season. Wish Byrd had signed with us, but that is in the past now.

how does the 10 mil claim pass the smell test when he signed for less in fa and the bills had the option franchise tag him and match that offer?

Man, the Bills seem to love picking up first round picks who didn't live up to their potential.

I called something similar earlier in the off-season both Doug Whaley and by then the essentially acting GM Buddy Nix talked after the Hughes trade about the fact that he was someone they had a very high grade on out of college and they thought that ability remained and would be well deployed in the Bills' system. I said I thought there would be more of the same and I think this and the Williams pick up fall into the same category. Probably the case that Whaley was high on these guys at the time and thinks that they are potential fits for what we want to do.

how does the 10 mil claim pass the smell test when he signed for less in fa and the bills had the option franchise tag him and match that offer?

Byrd wanted to play for a contender. I've believed that's what this whole thing was about the whole time. He actually tried to respect the Bills organisation by using money as the excuse. Anyone really believe that the Browns and the Dolphins with their track records for wasting bundles of cash in FA wouldn't have offered him more than the Saints did? I don't.

He wanted to play somewhere he though the had a chance to win and he didn't think he had that in Buffalo and the Bills were unable to prove him wrong.

I like the Corey Graham signing. The signings of Rivers and Williams are scary. Why would the Bills need to sign these guys so early in free agency? Makes no sense to me.

Williams was their first FA visitor so based on that he might have been high on their list. Rivers' signing may be a result of Brinkley and McClain coming and leaving w/o a contract.

Byrd wanted to play for a contender. I've believed that's what this whole thing was about the whole time. He actually tried to respect the Bills organisation by using money as the excuse. Anyone really believe that the Browns and the Dolphins with their track records for wasting bundles of cash in FA wouldn't have offered him more than the Saints did? I don't.

He wanted to play somewhere he though the had a chance to win and he didn't think he had that in Buffalo and the Bills were unable to prove him wrong.

perhaps but are you then admitting bills fans were lied to? i think that's likely. and they still had the power to make him stay. i think they should have used it. using your logic we'll never re sign a highly desired fa.

BTW, what did everyone think of Jerry Hughes last year?

Everyone dissed him as a former first rounder that would not contribute.

I didn't as I liked the trade when it was made as I believe Hughes started playing well in his last year with Indy and I was never a fan of Sheppards

There is def a theme of acquiring former first round picks

Edited by Max997

We have now spent 6 million on 2 players who probably won't contribute much. Why not just sign an impact player, like keeping Byrd.

Seriously? Can we drop the whole 'Sign Byrd" talk yet....he didn't want to be on this team. He's a grown man who is able to make that decision. And for real, some of you people on this forum are impossible to make happy all you do is B word like old women. First the FO doesn't make enough moves on day 1. Then the moves they do make suck. Why'd they sign this guy and not that guy, blah blah. Why not just enjoy the team making moves and complain IF they don't pan out after the season.

p.s. Id gladly accept this team (or any one) to my home town. At least you guys have teams to complain about.

perhaps but are you then admitting bills fans were lied to? i think that's likely. and they still had the power to make him stay. i think they should have used it. using your logic we'll never re sign a highly desired fa.

I think Jairus told the organisation it was about money, but I don't think it ever was in his head. Yes, he wanted to be well paid.... but first and foremost he wanted to win, ideally win a Superbowl. I think the only way the Bills keep desired FA's is convincing them that they are on their way to being a winner (Eric Wood for example "bought in") or massively overpaying them. The franchise tag argument has been done to death and isn't for this thread.... in fact none of this really is.