Bills Free Agents Updates

Lol.

I thought poz and whitner were ok against the run but poor against the pass. Idk if that was scheme or what but it still is happening to both of them to this day. I just remember the backs of their jerseys on a bunch of tds. Also old man tomlinson juking the **** outta whitner.

Haven't really followed Poz all that much....because, well, who watches the Jaguars? I have watched quite a bit of Whitner with SF, however, and saw a lot of the same from his days in Buff. Pretty solid against the run despite poor tackling technique. Pretty average against the pass. Gronkowski wept the day he left Buffalo for SF. Might fit well in some schemes, but is a major liability in others.

I still can't believe he got 7 million/year from Cleveland, but I suspect Pettine has a well-designed plan for him.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Rotoworld, the Bills now have the 9th most cap space in the NFL, even after all of the signings.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46513/59/salary-cap-notes-team-updates?pg=1

9. Buffalo Bills

Approximate Current Available Cap Space - $18.3 million (figure doesn’t include the re-signing of Scott Chandler)

Buffalo’s biggest splash came via the signing of free agent cornerback Corey Graham. Aside from a few other small moves, the Bills have remained quiet over this past week. Still way under the 2014 cap, look for the Bills to be more involved in free agency’s second week. They did execute a potentially high-impact, if low-cost addition by signing former Patriots run-plugging inside linebacker Brandon Spikes to a reported one-year, $3.5 million deal over the weekend.

According to Rotoworld, the Bills now have the 9th most cap space in the NFL, even after all of the signings.

http://www.rotoworld...am-updates?pg=1

9. Buffalo Bills

Approximate Current Available Cap Space - $18.3 million (figure doesn’t include the re-signing of Scott Chandler)

Buffalo’s biggest splash came via the signing of free agent cornerback Corey Graham. Aside from a few other small moves, the Bills have remained quiet over this past week. Still way under the 2014 cap, look for the Bills to be more involved in free agency’s second week. They did execute a potentially high-impact, if low-cost addition by signing former Patriots run-plugging inside linebacker Brandon Spikes to a reported one-year, $3.5 million deal over the weekend.

Just because they have the money to spend, doesn't mean they will....not at all complaining, as I think the BILLS have done well thus far in FA, between Spikes and Graham and the starter LG Williams, I like what I've seen...Dixon will be a nice addition to the short yardage gains and the STs, plus even though I think Gragg will have a much better year, I understand the signing of Chandler, even though I also think Moeaki will end up being the blocking / receiving combo for the BILLS at year's end with Gragg being the seam stretcher....all in all, except for spending money for the sake of it, I just don't see where there is a FA the BILLS MUST have, Spikes was it to me...and actually, I would have like a three or four year deal for him, but hey, if he plays well and Buffalo wins him over, maybe he does a three year deal next year....

http://www.rotoworld...am-updates?pg=1

9. Buffalo Bills

According to spotrac, that $18.3m ($18.2m according to them) doesn't include Chandler, Spikes or Dixon.

That likely drops our cap space down to $11+ mil.......which would have us roughly 19th in cap space now.

I personally don't think it will make much difference. Either way we can sign more players without too much ramification....but I thought I should point it out.

http://www.spotrac.c...-bills/cap-hit/

http://www.overtheca...e.php?Year=2014

EDIT: I forgot that 3 players would be bumped off of the top 51 contracts. This would make it around $12.5+ mil.....roughly 16th in cap space.

Edited by Dibs

According to spotrac, that $18.3m ($18.2m according to them) doesn't include Chandler, Spikes or Dixon.

That likely drops our cap space down to $11+ mil.......which would have us roughly 19th in cap space now.

I personally don't think it will make much difference. Either way we can sign more players without too much ramification....but I thought I should point it out.

http://www.spotrac.c...-bills/cap-hit/

http://www.overtheca...e.php?Year=2014

EDIT: I forgot that 3 players would be bumped off of the top 51 contracts. This would make it around $12.5+ mil.....roughly 16th in cap space.

when i looked at over the cap, they had dixon but not chandler and spikes. spikes had 3.25 for one year and i suspect chandler will have similar money in his two year deal, as that would be a 10 percent increase. so with that you're looking at more like 12 million like you mentioned, plus however much gets used in the draft, which should be at least 6 million. for what is left, i would love to see it rolled over for next year.

They should have signed Spikes for at least two years. They likely felt his negative image might impact the chemistry of the team so "we'll only give him a try.," But what happens if he has a great year, we like him, and we lose him? A team with some talent that generally stays together usually winds up developing and playing well together, unless you get lucky in breaking the bank annually on effective, high priced free agents (and of course draft well).

They should have signed Spikes for at least two years. They likely felt his negative image might impact the chemistry of the team so "we'll only give him a try.," But what happens if he has a great year, we like him, and we lose him? A team with some talent that generally stays together usually winds up developing and playing well together, unless you get lucky in breaking the bank annually on effective, high priced free agents (and of course draft well).

I'd be interested to know whether it was the Bills or Spikes who wanted the 1-year deal. Usually teams try to sign players for multiple years.

Can someone please explain to me why the Bills have not introduced Brandon Spikes and Anthony Dixon?

Why would Corey Graham and Chris Williams have press conferences...but these two don't? Spikes is our biggest free agent...he needs/deserves to have one.

I think if he is building chemistry, behaving and performing well...they will try to extend him before the season ends, maybe by Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Just because it is a one-year deal, doesn't mean he won't fall in love with (in his words) "the plumber's crack of America." Nothing is impossible...he already loves Bills Mafia!

(But the fact he will be crying the whole New England game, kinda makes me a little worried! lol.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I'd like to see Donald Penn signed. I know he's had an up and down career but I think he'd be a great addition to play right tackle. I think this would open up literally all positions in the draft allowing for best player available.

when i looked at over the cap, they had dixon but not chandler and spikes. spikes had 3.25 for one year and i suspect chandler will have similar money in his two year deal, as that would be a 10 percent increase. so with that you're looking at more like 12 million like you mentioned, plus however much gets used in the draft, which should be at least 6 million. for what is left, i would love to see it rolled over for next year.

The draft won't cost $6m in cap. What is often forgotten(I forgot it myself earlier, hence my edit) is that the cap number is determined upon the top 51 contracts. Our 46th to 51st highest contracts are around $0.5m(give or take). 4th round rookies onward will get contracts below that figure (therefore not adding to the cap number at all), and the 1st, 2nd & 3rd(only just) rounders will and to the cap minus the $0.5m of the player they replace.

Likely the rookies will only effect our cap by around $2.5m.

After all that.......I agree with you. I too would love to see us roll over the money from this point. It seems we have finally started to draft impact players at positions of importance. A bit of extra money saved for the future will help us retain Glenn, Dareus, Spiller etc.

Edited by Dibs

The draft won't cost $6m in cap. What is often forgotten(I forgot it myself earlier, hence my edit) is that the cap number is determined upon the top 51 contracts. Our 46th to 51st highest contracts are around $0.5m(give or take). 4th round rookies onward will get contracts below that figure (therefore not adding to the cap number at all), and the 1st, 2nd & 3rd(only just) rounders will and to the cap minus the $0.5m of the player they replace.

Likely the rookies will only effect our cap by around $2.5m.

After all that.......I agree with you. I too would love to see us roll over the money from this point. It seems we have finally started to draft impact players at positions of importance. A bit of extra money saved for the future will help us retain Glenn, Dareus, Spiller etc.

I'm in favor. Save it for future use would be an excellent move.

Can someone please explain to me why the Bills have not introduced Brandon Spikes and Anthony Dixon?

Why would Corey Graham and Chris Williams have press conferences...but these two don't? Spikes is our biggest free agent...he needs/deserves to have one.

I think if he is building chemistry, behaving and performing well...they will try to extend him before the season ends, maybe by Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Just because it is a one-year deal, doesn't mean he won't fall in love with (in his words) "the plumber's crack of America." Nothing is impossible...he already loves Bills Mafia!

(But the fact he will be crying the whole New England game, kinda makes me a little worried! lol.)

I think they're still trying to talk Eric Wood into introducing him. :ph34r:

Veteran free agent tight end Ed Dickson has been offered a contract to return to the Ravens, according to a source.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have also offered Dickson a contract.

Dickson has drawn interest from other NFL teams, including the Buffalo Bills, who re-signed tight end Scott Chandler after the start of free agency, the New York Jets and the New York Giants.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-source-ravens-offer-contract-to-tight-end-ed-dickson-20140318,0,6045991.story

Veteran free agent tight end Ed Dickson has been offered a contract to return to the Ravens, according to a source.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have also offered Dickson a contract.

Dickson has drawn interest from other NFL teams, including the Buffalo Bills, who re-signed tight end Scott Chandler after the start of free agency, the New York Jets and the New York Giants.

http://www.baltimore...0,6045991.story

Hmmmm.....Does this indicate that the Bills are not looking to upgrade the TE position in the draft?

They were talking to him at the same time they were negotiating with Chandler. Basically a fall back. Chandler resigned and their interest faded.

I would say thats probably accurate. With 4 TEs on the roster right now who they like I seriously doubt we draft a TE in any round of the Draft.