Bills coaches want to move on from training staff, FO dysfunction

FluffHead

This pretty much sums it up. The one constant in Bills' history is the battle between the guys in Detroit & Buffalo. Now for the first time in a long time, current OBD residents are pushing back at Detroit, as opposed to slinging ex post facto darts. I applaud Whaley for standing up to his job's responsibilities. If WGR doesn't think this is a real story, then they are a joke of a sports station.

Maybe they are empowered after all. It is different to have these shots across the bow of the inner circle fired by the football people before they are terminated, quit, or run off the end of their contract.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they are empowered after all. It is different to have these shots across the bow of the inner circle fired by the football people before they are terminated, quit, or run off the end of their contract.

As mentioned before, the results will be known after the Byrd decision.

As mentioned before, the results will be known after the Byrd decision.

I wouldn't pin it on that, completely. It takes both sides to want a deal done to get it done. The Bills could throw all the money in the world at Byrd, and if he wants to be traded or hit the open market next year, Parker won't take it. I don't know if that is the case or not here, but I wouldn't say Whaley empowerment=Byrd deal with this specific situation.

If you consider the making the playoffs the minimum achievement for a successful season...........which it is pretty much universally agreed to be........then yes they are hands-down the worst of them all.

So you would trade places with any team in the NFL just because they made the playoffs once in the last 14 years?

PTR

So you would trade places with any team in the NFL just because they made the playoffs once in the last 14 years?

PTR

What point are you possibly trying to make? That the Bills are not the absolute worst franchise in the NFL, just maybe one of the worst five or six franchises? Really, you find it necessary to chime in for that purpose?

What point are you possibly trying to make? That the Bills are not the absolute worst franchise in the NFL, just maybe one of the worst five or six franchises? Really, you find it necessary to chime in for that purpose?

There's a comforting feeling that Bills are third worst, not the absolute worst.

I would trade the uncertainty with anyone, but would maybe think about Jacksonville because they lack the history/fans to perhaps save them in the long run.

If you look only at football.... would probably take the Bills over Cleveland (who knows), Jax, Washington, Minnesota?

Furthermore we are in a great position to dominate the NFL for the foreseeable future. I really believe that. I haven't seen this much talent on the Bills in a LONG time. If EJ can get it right, there's no stopping us!

I wouldn't pin it on that, completely. It takes both sides to want a deal done to get it done. The Bills could throw all the money in the world at Byrd, and if he wants to be traded or hit the open market next year, Parker won't take it. I don't know if that is the case or not here, but I wouldn't say Whaley empowerment=Byrd deal with this specific situation.

+1. Most posters in this thread are taking Graham's articles to mean that the main source of confrontation is the Byrd negotiations, but the only thing specifically mentioned in the first one was the inability to replace the training staff, and the second one spent as much time focusing on Berchtold as Littman/Overdorf combined. And I don't think anyone here thinks that Berchtold has a hand in the Byrd negotiations?

Now, it's plausible that Overdorf is stymieing said Byrd negotiations, and that's a main cause of the leaks. But it could also be a coincidence. Obviously both Whaley & Marrone want Byrd back, but both of them (especially Whaley) have to have a price point where they balk. Maybe the "Eugene Parker is the devil" contingent is right and Byrd's demands are way over the top. Or maybe Joe Buscaglia's speculation is right that Byrd desperately wants to play for a winner, and that results in Byrd asking for the moon from the Bills, then signing for below-market value with a contender when the Bills balk. Either way, it wouldn't tell us much about anything that happened (or didn't) at 1 Bills Drive. Now, if they sign Byrd to a massive new contract, I think that would be a strong sign that Overdorf was put in his place.

There's a comforting feeling that Bills are third worst, not the absolute worst.

... when taken with a glass of warm milk, a cookie, and a warm blankie, it's very comforting.

Say it with me: WE'RE NOT THE WORST! WE'RE NOT THE WORST! WE'RE NOT THE WORST!

New rallying cry for 2014?

This pretty much sums it up. The one constant in Bills' history is the battle between the guys in Detroit & Buffalo. Now for the first time in a long time, current OBD residents are pushing back at Detroit, as opposed to slinging ex post facto darts. I applaud Whaley for standing up to his job's responsibilities. If WGR doesn't think this is a real story, then they are a joke of a sports station.

You're right on all counts.

+1. Most posters in this thread are taking Graham's articles to mean that the main source of confrontation is the Byrd negotiations, but the only thing specifically mentioned in the first one was the inability to replace the training staff, and the second one spent as much time focusing on Berchtold as Littman/Overdorf combined. And I don't think anyone here thinks that Berchtold has a hand in the Byrd negotiations?

Now, it's plausible that Overdorf is stymieing said Byrd negotiations, and that's a main cause of the leaks. But it could also be a coincidence. Obviously both Whaley & Marrone want Byrd back, but both of them (especially Whaley) have to have a price point where they balk. Maybe the "Eugene Parker is the devil" contingent is right and Byrd's demands are way over the top. Or maybe Joe Buscaglia's speculation is right that Byrd desperately wants to play for a winner, and that results in Byrd asking for the moon from the Bills, then signing for below-market value with a contender when the Bills balk. Either way, it wouldn't tell us much about anything that happened (or didn't) at 1 Bills Drive. Now, if they sign Byrd to a massive new contract, I think that would be a strong sign that Overdorf was put in his place.

Say it with me: WE'RE NOT THE WORST! WE'RE NOT THE WORST! WE'RE NOT THE WORST!

New rallying cry for 2014?

LINK?!?

My point is that everything is a friggin' disaster to this fanbase. It's monotonous. All we do is look for more stuff to B word about.

My point is that everything is a friggin' disaster to this fanbase. It's monotonous. All we do is look for more stuff to B word about.

What's monotonous is the Bills 14 years of futility. There is no need to go looking for stuff to B word about, it's smacking everybody across the face. What's amazing is your constant bitching (yeah, you bitching) about the fans when they have every right to want - and expect - more from this organization. The fact that you don't is puzzling.

I'm of the belief (perhaps naively) that if we can pinpoint the cause(s), we as a fanbase might be able to influence change, or at least know when not to waste our money on false hope. What's tiresome is your constant attack on those of us who are trying to force change.

2000 2000 NFL AFC East 4th 8 8 0 2001 2001 NFL AFC East 5th 3 13 0 2002 2002 NFL AFC East 4th 8 8 0 2003 2003 NFL AFC East 3rd 6 10 0 2004 2004 NFL AFC East 3rd 9 7 0 2005 2005 NFL AFC East 3rd 5 11 0 2006 2006 NFL AFC East 3rd 7 9 0 2007 2007 NFL AFC East 2nd 7 9 0 2008 2008 NFL AFC East 4th 7 9 0 2009 2009 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0 2010 2010 NFL AFC East 4th 4 12 0 2011 2011 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0 2012 2012 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0 2013 2013 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10

Is that not monotonous? Wild prediction.... they will end up between 4-7 wins again this season.

Something is broken there. This is a revenue sharing and capped league. To miss the playoffs and come in last or 2nd last place that many times is a huge mathematical long shot.

Edited by May Day 10