Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Honestly I don't know what the Saints are thinking. They released a lot of players and those players have to be replaced, they also have a rookie class they have to worry about.

No doubt, but they did it. May backfire but I just thought it was hilarious people were saying there was no way NO could sign Byrd given their cap situation as they were flying him in. As if NO hadn't thought that through.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As with Levitre, it wasn't so much the loss of the player, but the inability to plug the hole that the player left. There was a huge run on safeties today. I think Bills go with a stop gap of Ryan Clark for this year and hope that Duke Williams develops.

I am fine with this. It would not have been wise to pay two safeties that kind of money. If they use the money to address the OL and then draft well they will be better off IMO. I just wish that it wasn't NOLA so I didn't have to listen to my annoying friends.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Honestly I don't know what the Saints are thinking. They released a lot of players and those players have to be replaced, they also have a rookie class they have to worry about.

They released guys they think have been replaced largely. And they still have the draft and some room in free agency.

Will smith was a guy without a position in Ryan's defense that played half a season in the last two years

Harper and Jenkins are replaced by Byrd and vaccaro (might be one of the best duos in the league(

Thomas and Sproles are over 30 and Sproles had a fairly big decline last year. They love khiry Robinson who had 21 carries for 102 yards in the playoffs last year and couldn't reasonably have a 4 man rotation in the backfield and expect anyone to succeed. Both Sproles and pt likely on the team today because they are finalizing trades to get value back

Vilma hadn't played in 2 years

Greer will be lucky to play in the nfl again, and keenen Lewis was signed to take his spot as #1 cb last year

Bunkley will likely be gone but has been replaced by John Jenkins moving forward

Plus they are getting guys like Kenyon Coleman and victor butler who were signed by rob ryan and injured in preseason back healthy this year.

They got younger, healthier, faster, and better fits to the schemes in many of these.

I am fine with this. It would not have been wise to pay two safeties that kind of money. If they use the money to address the OL and then draft well they will be better off IMO. I just wish that it wasn't NOLA so I didn't have to listen to my annoying friends.

For a possible probowl pair 14-15m a year wouldn't have upset me one bit.

Edited by NoSaint

I think Byrd will do well there but that's a lot of bread for a safety. Consider that he got 10 million more per year guaranteed than Goldson, and a million more per in average, plus another year.

He obviously will not see all 6 years....

I could see spending that cash on a safety if your have crappy and cheap CBs; just way too rich for my blood especially with AWs new contract....we have other holes more important to fill...

I do hate to lose him for nothing, but at least he flipped conferences

He obviously will not see all 6 years....

I could see spending that cash on a safety if your have crappy and cheap CBs; just way too rich for my blood especially with AWs new contract....we have other holes more important to fill...

I do hate to lose him for nothing, but at least he flipped conferences

Yeah, I don't think so, but as noted in the Shoutbox: they cannot possibly cut him before year 4 without eating a ton of cap space, and they just gave him $4MM more guaranteed than we gave Mario Williams. Sick money. On a safety. I thought closer to the Goldson contract was reasonable, even if expensive.

I think Byrd will do well there but that's a lot of bread for a safety. Consider that he got 10 million more per year guaranteed than Goldson, and a million more per in average, plus another year.

I thought Goldson's guarantee was $22mil?

Yeah, I don't think so, but as noted in the Shoutbox: they cannot possibly cut him before year 4 without eating a ton of cap space, and they just gave him $4MM more guaranteed than we gave Mario Williams. Sick money. On a safety. I thought closer to the Goldson contract was reasonable, even if expensive.

Year 4 sounds about right....If you feel you are only a safety a way you go for it; but they do have plenty of questions.....

Too rich of a contract (2nd behind only Brees); can you imagine that Jimmy Graham will make less; he scores a lot more the Byrd....

Which gets into the how do you assign a dollar amount on a position

For a possible probowl pair 14-15m a year wouldn't have upset me one bit.

I guess that I think that they have guys that can fill Byrd's role. If that same $9M lands you Strief and Spikes for example I think the team is better. I really like Duke Williams & think that Searcy is adequate. I would not have paid Byrd that much. I pitched 4 years, $32M w/ $22M guarenteed earlier in the thread. That would have been my cieling when I saw the market for Ward, Delmas, etc..

Byrd helps the Saints for sure but their OL could be a disaster now. I would think that De La Puente and Strief are gone for 2.