Chris Brown: Buffalo has virtually no dire positional needs

Beerball

Can't agree when I see needs for two new OLmen, a new TE, another WR and, most importantly, another LB.

Maybe he's hanging on the word "dire."

GO BILLS!!!

Holy ****. There are alot of Dire needs for a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 13 seasons.

We need a true threat at WR,TE. We need a LG. 3rd String RB. On Defense we need LBs, CBs, S. Maybe another DE.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy ****. There are alot of Dire needs for a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 13 seasons.

We need a true threat at WR,TE. We need a LG. 3rd String RB. On Defense we need LBs, CBs, S. Maybe another DE.

I'm confused by this...are you saying that the fact that the team hasn't made the playoffs in 13 seasons means that the current team has greater needs than if the exact same roster existed, but the team had made the playoffs more recently?

The playoff drought is immaterial to the point of discussion IMO...the talent on the team is what it is regardless of any drought.

Okay, let's define the word "Dire" as applied to this situation.

To me "dire" means that not only is it a big weakness on the team, but also a problem that is going to need either a top draft pick, lots of luck, or lots of money to be solved.

Left Guard is never a "dire" need.

So the distinction is basically the word "dire" right? Because the Bills obviously have big needs...Or at the very least have positions that could use a big-time upgrade... B-)

Yes. Obviously they have needs, some bigger than others. Semantics on what he meant - for example. there were teams this year who literally had guys playing out of position because they didn't have anyone capable of playing in it. Chargers were looking at converting DL to OL. Teams had Kickers punting. Browns have no RB and had to sign McGahee off his rocking chair. I believe that is what he meant.

Yes. Obviously they have needs, some bigger than others. Semantics on what he meant - for example. there were teams this year who literally had guys playing out of position because they didn't have anyone capable of playing in it. Chargers were looking at converting DL to OL. Teams had Kickers punting. Browns have no RB and had to sign McGahee off his rocking chair. I believe that is what he meant.

we dont have to draft marshawn because we traded mcgahee, signed no one in free agency, and are looking at anthony thomas as our #1 back -- as a prime example from our recent past. as someone else said, we can go bpa (assuming we sign chandler or some tight end by may).

Edited by NoSaint

we dont have to draft marshawn because we traded mcgahee, signed no one in free agency, and are looking at anthony thomas as our #1 back -- as a prime example from our recent past. as someone else said, we can go bpa (assuming we sign chandler or some tight end by may).

Especially because, and I didn't read through the whole thread so maybe already mentioned, our biggest need is LG. You don't take a G in the top of the 1st (or maybe anywhere in the 1st) but if you don't trade down (and I suspect it may be tough to do so in a draft this deep as most teams will want to keep their picks and feel they don't need to trade up unless they want one of the top QBs) you do take a bonafide stud at any position that can take your team to the next level in which you know they will see the field as a starter. That could be Watkins, Robinson, Mack, Mosely, Ebron, etc - BPA.

Do you agree?

http://www.buffalobi...b9-f9208ec14e72

I'd say LG and one right side lineman are dire as is LB. What say you?

Not dire, but obvious needs exist at WR (the players may be on the roster but they haven't proven it yet) and TE.

I think the message here is that they feel they dont have a desperate situation at any one position. I have to agree with that assessment as I feel like their are several spots we could use an upgrade at, but I dont see any one position as a desperate situation.

The three areas I think we need to look at the most are OL (G and probably RT), LB, TE, WR. I think the two areas that will help this team the most are at TE and WR, however, I would say they are not as high on the priority list especially since it looks like Stevie will be staying and the FO seems to want to resign Chandler according to reports.

Again, I am not saying we dont have positions that need to be upgraded, I am just saying I think his point is that there isnt a position of desperate need at this point given we have so many young guys at some of the positions of need that are still developing.

I think that is a good thing because then we can target BPA in the early points of the draft rather than reach for some dire position need.

Three pages and no one brought up QB?

I hear ya!

The truth is that while we don't truly know if QB is a "dire need," chances are it is.

Presently, we have 2 QBs on the roster who IMO are about the same. Manuel would appear to have a higher ceiling, but he certainly has some huge obstacles to overcome. Lewis intrigues me, but it's tough to visualize him playing at a star level.

Btw, I think that RB is a major (not necessarily dire) need. Yes, I said this :). Fred is old and Spiller is a nicked up situational player. And, I am seeing a trend (which I for one like) toward the big, physical running back. Odds are very strong that either Spiller, FJ, or both will be injured this season and it would be nice to have another talented rb on the roster.

The need at LG is about as "dire" as it gets. No explanation needed.

I also consider OT a dire need. What happens when Glenn or Pears get injured? Again, injuries to huge OTs are more likely than unlikely.

Despite the above, I do think the team is talented. The Bills need to develop a quarterback, and we will see whether or not Marrone is able to compete with other coaches. This could also be a "dire need." Big mountains to climb, no?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!