Scott Chandler

thewza

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what were our collective thoughts about Pete Metzelars ?? Chandler matched or beat his highest out put in his second year so i would say seeing as Metzelars is a highly touted TE of the Bills of the past that Chandler could be thought of as close to the same .

If he can be brought back for a decent contract o would say bring him back ! With Moeoki & Chandler add in another good rookie from this years draft we may have a good TE group for a while rather than what has been on hand in the recent past !!

Metzelaars was a decent TE that played a lot of games. He and Ernie Warlick are probably the best at the position in franchise history. Metzelaars played in as many pro bowls as I have. He was okay but let's not pretend that equallying those franchise marks is that much of an accomplishment. It is the least talented position group in franchise history. Chandler is average at best and will never be more than that because of his limited athletic ability.

Off the top of my head here is a list of guys already in the league (in no particular order) that I think are better: J. Graham, G. Graham, Gronk, Gates, Gresham, Gonzalez (maybe we need a TE that's last name starts with a "G"), Pitta, Witten, Daniels, Rudolph, Eiffert, Cameron, Thomas, Clay, Olsen, Reed, Miller, Ertz, Bennett, Finley, Fleener, Cook, and Davis. There may be more than I am thinking of but let's not overstate his merits. You can find guys to replace him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

When he is average or better by NFL standards why the rush to find a replacement when we don't have one in process?

I would not be for cutting him but as a free agent I would look for the opportunity to upgrade. Pitta would be my free agent target and if you got him then I may wait until the mid rounds to find another. Pitta and Moeaki would be decent IMO. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Well what were our collective thoughts about Pete Metzelars ?? Chandler matched or beat his highest out put in his second year so i would say seeing as Metzelars is a highly touted TE of the Bills of the past that Chandler could be thought of as close to the same .

If he can be brought back for a decent contract o would say bring him back ! With Moeoki & Chandler add in another good rookie from this years draft we may have a good TE group for a while rather than what has been on hand in the recent past !!

comparing passing stats to the early 90s is near worthless.

i like chandler quite a bit, but there is definite room for improvement at his position. this past year he had some decent stats, but watching him play the games, he seemed off a bit. there were some very untimely drops, that huge fumble, and seemingly no yards after contact. i don't know what it was, he just seemed to be performing worse than what the numbers showed. i would love to keep him at a modest salary, but as a free agent, some team may be willing to pay him a lot more than what the bills feel he is worth. it may be time to throw all the youngsters into the fire and see which one(s) emerge.

Chandler has been our most consistent producer on the receiving end. He may not be perfect, but at least his numbers didn't take a dive with the carousel we have at QB.

They didn't? Six touchdowns for two straight seasons before this one... Just two this year.

No, we should be thinking of Chris Cooley lower.

Lol. Word up

No, we should be thinking of Chris Cooley lower.

Lol. Word up

I don't know where the Chandler criticism comes from. He's got soft hands and can play. He's the best the Bills have had since Jay Reimersma.

He drops a lot of big 3rd down passes that stick in my head. For his size, he should be a better blocker.

I think that Chandler is average at best. He makes huge mistakes and is extremely limited athletically. His production can easily be replaced assuming you do not have guys like Lee Smith trying to do the job. I would not bother resigning Chandler as Moeaki is a better version IMO. I would draft a TE in the 1st 3-4 rounds or sign Pitta and go with Pitta/draft pick, Moeaki, Gragg and a blocking TE that doesn't commit a million penalties (sorry again Lee Smith).

I'm a fan of Chandler, I don't know of many 'huge' mistakes and not sure what you mean by limited athletically - seems pretty damn athletic to me. How can his production be easily replaced by Moeaki, based on what? Chandler definitely had a few drops last year, but also make a large contribution by leading the team in receptions. You have to have athletic ability to contribute like that.

i can get behind this. Personally, I want a more physical TE. Not only when it comes to speed and quickness, but when it comes to contact. Chandler plays like he's much smaller than he is. Always seems to shy away from hits. News flash big guy, your a monster and should be destroying people. But he doesn't.

Give me a Vernon Davis type of guy. A TE that's borderline on a TE and a massive WR and this offense reaps the rewards.

But I'd love to keep Chandler under the franchise tag if we could manage to sign Byrd in the meantime and still draft a big physical TE. Chandler as a #2 would be phenomenal.

You don't franchise tag a number 2 TE.

you could offer chandler 50% the tag, and hed probably be all for it. the two year deal hes finishing now (signed pre-ACL injury and at the peak of his value) despite being for 2 years is less total dollars than the franchise tag for a single year.

Chandler is a FA. I hope that someone gives him a big contract, but I don't want the Bills to be the ones to do it. Chandler has literally bounced off of his own ceiling when he tore his ACL. Sad but true, he was below average at blocking before the injury. He has just as many negative plays as positive plays. That won't help this team reach the playoffs. If the Bills are going to sign any FA TEs, I hope that they can at least run block at a high level. Good run-blocking TEs can make plays too when paired with an accurate QB. Given EJ's poor accuracy and difficulty punching it in at the goal line, the run blocking skills wouldn't go to waste. The entire TE group for the Bills was a liability last year, regardless of what they were asked to do.

Dan..I agree with you...but keep in mind, these threads pop up as much during the season, as they do the off-season! :lol:

Also, in the case of Chandler, it is a litte more relevant, because the Bills will have to decide, in the next few weeks, if they plan on re-signing him. He will be a free-agent. So, it really isn't a question of cutting him, but asking "should the Bils" re-sign him, or see if they can find antoher option. This is one of the rare cases where the thread has some merit.

Very good and fair points. But, IMO, the discussion should be about how much to re-sign him for, not whether he should be re-signed. I would agree, he's not the best TE in the league by any means. But, he is the best TE currently on the Bills' roster. So, it seems only logical that he be re-signed but at what price?

Very good and fair points. But, IMO, the discussion should be about how much to re-sign him for, not whether he should be re-signed. I would agree, he's not the best TE in the league by any means. But, he is the best TE currently on the Bills' roster. So, it seems only logical that he be re-signed but at what price?

By that logic would that mean that we keep Legursky at LG??

I'm a fan of Chandler, I don't know of many 'huge' mistakes and not sure what you mean by limited athletically - seems pretty damn athletic to me. How can his production be easily replaced by Moeaki, based on what? Chandler definitely had a few drops last year, but also make a large contribution by leading the team in receptions. You have to have athletic ability to contribute like that.

I watch a lot of teams. The Bills are my favorite team, but i don't live in Buffalo so I get other games a lot plus I have relatives and friends who work for NFL teams and I watch those just as much. The reason I say this is that I have seen "better" TEs drop just as many, if not more, passes as SC. Is he the best TE in the league? No. Is he the new-style TE/WR hybrid that creates major mismatches? No. Is he a valuable part of this team, as it stands right now, during the FA period? Yes. I hope they sign him. That doesn;t mean we don't work in a rookie, Moeaki, Gragg, whoever to be the #1 TE eventually but seeing as we do not have that guy today, I don't know why you let the leading receiver on your team walk at age 28.

Specifically speaking of the fumbles vs. San Francisco (when it was still a game) & obviously the ATL fumble. There are a host of drops and plays where he wasn't able to run after the catch that we can look to as well. Moeaki has had years that have rivaled the production that Chandler gives you and he was supposed to be a breakout player before he was hurt. Go back and look at the glowing things that Peter King said about him prior to that season.

I think that a combination of Moeaki, Gragg and either Pitta or a draft pick in the 1st 4 rounds is much better than Moeaki, Gragg and Chandler. He is not a good blocker and at 6'7 found the end zone twice.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

you franchise tag a player you don't want to lose in FA. Plain and simple. If they sign Burd and end up drafting a stud TE (Ebron maybe) then maybe they franchise tag him so that they don't have to go into the 2015 season wondering if they have a replacement at TE in Ebron, Moekei, Pertigrew, Pitta, etc.

I'd tell him to go and get the best offer and give us the chance to match. Meanwhile sign someone and if that doesn't work, draft one.

that would work too