Jonathan Martin

johnwalter

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 1BD acquire Jonathan Martin for the 2014 season?

• Yes, he is a good but inexpensive player that can fill a hole on the Bills roster.
    • No, the Bills have a strong locker room and Martin would put the team's chemistry at risk.

But how will people fill their daily quota of outrage?

I heard a song on the radio this morning and a line that included the word 'hell' was edited out of the song. Thankfully, no one was offended.

(EDIT) Can you clarify that you didn't mean to suggest Hell and the N-word are equivalent ? I think there is a big difference between the two.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(EDIT) Can you clarify that you didn't mean to suggest Hell and the N-word are equivalent ? I think there is a big difference between the two.

I didn't make any point at all comparing those words. They're not equivalent because they are two different words. One is not inherently 'better' or 'worse' than the other.

My point is that by allowing and encouraging the 'I'm offended' culture to overtake all common sense, the inevitable result is an absurd level of censorship.

Funny how these "drama issues" only surfaced when an psychologically a-hole like RI started harassing him. Not all blacks like to be called Ni*ger or 1/2 ni*ger. He stood up to it in his own way. Had he punched RI in the face instead, he would have lowered himself to that a-hole's level. But then again there are a bunch of keyboard tough guys here who swear they would have beat his a** . Right!!!

We also don't have the physical strength Martin has. Also, the half N****r comment, was in a voicemail, that was left as a reply to a joke text that Martin sent the week before.

I also love how the media forgets to mention that Incognito was genuinely worried about Martin, and texted him asking him if he was ok. And Martin, being the coward that he is, texted him saying that everything was OK, and that it had nothing to do with him.

We also don't have the physical strength Martin has. Also, the half N****r comment, was in a voicemail, that was left as a reply to a joke text that Martin sent the week before.

I also love how the media forgets to mention that Incognito was genuinely worried about Martin, and texted him asking him if he was ok. And Martin, being the coward that he is, texted him saying that everything was OK, and that it had nothing to do with him.

The real victim is Richie and the Phins locker room.

Funny how these "drama issues" only surfaced when an psychologically a-hole like RI started harassing him. Not all blacks like to be called Ni*ger or 1/2 ni*ger. He stood up to it in his own way. Had he punched RI in the face instead, he would have lowered himself to that a-hole's level. But then again there are a bunch of keyboard tough guys here who swear they would have beat his a** . Right!!!

That's a good one. :thumbsup:

I missed this gem until pointed out above. I'd have called Incognito a few words. Probably something like "knuckle dragging homophobe who is the missing link yet the piece which is holding humanity back from being an educated species.". Then probably more colorful words. I'd have called Martin a "shy little p...boy who needs to take off his panties and man up ". Probably tell him to grow a pair and not just bounce them off jos chin too.

But then again. I'm tougher then I am smart and often times don't care to hold my opinion back

I didn't make any point at all comparing those words. They're not equivalent because they are two different words. One is not inherently 'better' or 'worse' than the other.

My point is that by allowing and encouraging the 'I'm offended' culture to overtake all common sense, the inevitable result is an absurd level of censorship.

IF, again, I say IF, what Jonathon Martin alleges is accurate, I believe there is a serious issue. For some reason, you chose to argue the point as if what he says isn't true. My post was based on an assumption that what Martin said was accurate and I made that clear. If what he says isn't true he is the one at fault. Nobody is encouraging the "I'm offended" culture, I'm not even sure what that is intended to mean ? As for my question to you on those two words, I believe you've made your position on them clear in your response. Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Sorry, 'Epithet". Geez, I feel like I'm back in my college English class.

"Here lies the shriveled NFL career of Jonathan Martin, it died by his own hand. R.I.P."

And guys here want to dig up that corpse?

The real victim is Richie and the Phins locker room.

The Phins locker room didn't seem to have much problem with this behavior--and there is no reason to believe it's different from many others.

IF, again, I say IF, what Jonathon Martin alleges is accurate, I believe there is a serious issue. For some reason, you chose to argue the point as if what he says isn't true. My post was based on an assumption that what Martin said was accurate and I made that clear. If what he says isn't true he is the one at fault. Nobody is encouraging the "I'm offended" culture, I'm not even sure what that is intended to mean ? As for my question to you on those two words, I believe you've made your position on them clear in your response.

Much of what he claims isn't in dispute. What you are leaving out is that he may, it now seems, have been a part of the same behavior and used the same language. I would not be stretching your imagination by assuming that black players on the team likely called Martin, or referred to him, by that same epithet.

It would seem Martin went right along with it at times (he isn;t very smart if he is texting this stuff to Incognito--he has to know those texts would be used by RI to defend himself). Then Martin decided he was going to make himself a "cause celebre" (after he was demoted?). I mean, this guy had himself "hospitalized" for...bullying?

And it was so bad, yet he never told the HC about it before he walked off the team??

"Dungy asked Martin three times if he was friends with Incognito. Martin would not answer directly, saying only: “I wanted to be his friend. I was working to be his friend. But it’s a hard situation. I did everything I could. I didn’t know what else I could do.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/30/3900377/jonathan-martin-has-more-to-say.html#storylink=cpy""

Yeah, really. After you offer anal rape with sand covered condoms and offing a family member, how else can you tell a buddy "I want to be your friend"?

Oh, Martin was only joking when he said those things to RI? Hey, then he gets it!

What ? Your statement is ridiculous. There is absolutely NO PLACE in any business for racial slurs. I'm sorry, I'm not playing the card, I'm saying if it exists as reported it is a serious issue. I don't know you and you don't know me, so, let's just agree that if RI was using race as a weapon against JM, there is no place for it in the NFL or any other place. I'll let you walk back your comments. OMG

Pretty sure there is audio proof of a voicemail where RI called him a 1/2 Ni**er and talked about his sister. Pretty sure I heard it. You are correct, there is no place for that, even in the NFL.

Pretty sure there is audio proof of a voicemail where RI called him a 1/2 Ni**er and talked about his sister. Pretty sure I heard it. You are correct, there is no place for that, even in the NFL.

you lose credibility when you speak your opinion on something you're only pretty sure about

Just saying

IF, again, I say IF, what Jonathon Martin alleges is accurate, I believe there is a serious issue. For some reason, you chose to argue the point as if what he says isn't true. My post was based on an assumption that what Martin said was accurate and I made that clear. If what he says isn't true he is the one at fault. Nobody is encouraging the "I'm offended" culture, I'm not even sure what that is intended to mean ? As for my question to you on those two words, I believe you've made your position on them clear in your response.

You seem to be arguing with me but I don't know about what since I haven't commented on anything you wrote in this thread.

But if you want to know what I think, I think this whole thing is a lot of nonsense that should have long since become old news. I think to assume that the whole truth is being told by either Martin or Incognito is absurd, so no, I don't think there is any 'issue' and I don't think there is any 'fault' by any party. I think the locker room banter went both ways and Martin snapped because is emotionally fragile and not cut out for the NFL. That Incognito is a douchebag is not in question but also not highly relevant.

And yes, the "I'm offended' culture is being encouraged and sold on a daily basis by our politicians and media. That's why months later we're still getting the 'poor Jonathan Martin' angle pushed on us, complete with the lame Tony Dungy (the NFL's version of Oprah) interview. Meanwhile, all these months later and we still haven't seen the texts Martin sent to Incognito. Can't let those get in the way of the bully narrative.

Text proof for Martin threatening to rape family members. He was giving it as good as he got.

Has no one in this thread talked smack to someone else in a high school locker room? It's honestly mind boggling. It happens all the time and these guys are surrounded by it for 20 years. You can act like they're all mature adults but they've been whipping each other with towels for 10 years straight. They live their lives differently.

It would seem Martin went right along with it at times (he isn;t very smart if he is texting this stuff to Incognito--he has to know those texts would be used by RI to defend himself). Then Martin decided he was going to make himself a "cause celebre" (after he was demoted?). I mean, this guy had himself "hospitalized" for...bullying?

This is an interesting point. It appears that Martin was not thinking of quiting the team and citing Incognito's alleged harrassment and locker room atmosphere as the reason he quit when he forwarded those texts to Incognito. If he was, it sure was stupid to engage in the same conduct. He is supposed to be smart having attended Stanford and his mother is an attorney.

Those texts show that Martin engaged in the same low life conduct for which he is now blaiming Incognito and the locker room. He was a paricipant, now he's a victim? It just doesn't wash.

Does anyone know what period of time elapsed between those Martin texts and the date he quit?? A short period of time would suggest he left for other reason(s). I wonder if he was told he might be cut and he wanted to create a reason for his poor play, other than his poor play, so that he might get another chance with another team.

Jonathan Martin will not be in a Dolphins uniform next season. Despite his Miami/Incognito baggage, Martin is a talented blocker and could fill a hole on the Bills roster as an undervalued acquisition.

Do his pros outweigh his cons?

Leaving aside all his "baggage", I'm frankly not persuaded he can play OL well enough at the NFL level. He did not impress as the Dolphins LT, we would be far better off staying with Glenn, and he doesn't seem like a slam-dunk to improve at guard. We can find someone with more potential and less baggage if we look seriously.

Or as GG option put it: "No, because he's not really good".

I'd rather have Richie Incognito.

I'd rather have neither.

"Here lies the shriveled NFL career of Jonathan Martin, it died by his own hand. R.I.P."

And guys here want to dig up that corpse?

The Phins locker room didn't seem to have much problem with this behavior--and there is no reason to believe it's different from many others.

Much of what he claims isn't in dispute. What you are leaving out is that he may, it now seems, have been a part of the same behavior and used the same language. I would not be stretching your imagination by assuming that black players on the team likely called Martin, or referred to him, by that same epithet.

And it was so bad, yet he never told the HC about it before he walked off the team??

"Dungy asked Martin three times if he was friends with Incognito. Martin would not answer directly, saying only: “I wanted to be his friend. I was working to be his friend. But it’s a hard situation. I did everything I could. I didn’t know what else I could do.”

Read more here: http://www.miamihera...l#storylink=cpy""

Yeah, really. After you offer anal rape with sand covered condoms and offing a family member, how else can you tell a buddy "I want to be your friend"?

Oh, Martin was only joking when he said those things to RI? Hey, then he gets it!

A point of clarification. I made it clear in an earlier post that if JM engaged in the same behavior he is equally at fault -- I wasn't aware that he might have done that until Bandit27 posted a link several posts after mine --- so, I didn't ever "leave it out" it wasn't a part of the original post that was being argued

You seem to be arguing with me but I don't know about what since I haven't commented on anything you wrote in this thread.

But if you want to know what I think, I think this whole thing is a lot of nonsense that should have long since become old news. I think to assume that the whole truth is being told by either Martin or Incognito is absurd, so no, I don't think there is any 'issue' and I don't think there is any 'fault' by any party. I think the locker room banter went both ways and Martin snapped because is emotionally fragile and not cut out for the NFL. That Incognito is a douchebag is not in question but also not highly relevant.

And yes, the "I'm offended' culture is being encouraged and sold on a daily basis by our politicians and media. That's why months later we're still getting the 'poor Jonathan Martin' angle pushed on us, complete with the lame Tony Dungy (the NFL's version of Oprah) interview. Meanwhile, all these months later and we still haven't seen the texts Martin sent to Incognito. Can't let those get in the way of the bully narrative.

I understand you weren't arguing with my original post, however, you jumped in and attempted to use a radio station censoring the word "hell" as an example of censorship gone amuck and I wanted to challenge you that "hell" and the "n-word" are vastly different and carry vastly different impacts in our culture --- I know you don't agree, but we can leave it at that --- I also understand the point you are trying to make regarding the offended culture, I'll just say that if there was true racial malice by RI toward JM, RI should be chastised and it should be eliminated and there is no place for that in the locker room or our society -- at the same time, anyone who uses race simply as a card or a crutch to get ahead or profits or get something they don't deserve should also be chastised -- the problem is it's often a he said, she said situation and you don't know --- as for Tony Dungy, I think you are so far off base with your comments, Tony is as good as they come on and off the field, the NFL is lucky to have him as an ambassador and the people who have been fortunate enough to know him are better for it ---

The faster this world forgets both of these men the better we will be. We can take away some lessons learned but this just has Jerry Springer trailer trash special all over it. The "drama" is outrageously pathetic.

I am going to do my 100% best to never discuss this topic again here or in the outside world. It's just not worth it anymore.

edit: I was curious the other day and just now looked it up. I was curious how strong this guy actually was considering how much he got manhandled. He only benched 225# for 20 reps. That's pretty weak and even worse is that he weighed 310+ lbs.

Edited by jboyst62