Jonathan Martin

johnwalter

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 1BD acquire Jonathan Martin for the 2014 season?

• Yes, he is a good but inexpensive player that can fill a hole on the Bills roster.
    • No, the Bills have a strong locker room and Martin would put the team's chemistry at risk.

Bring back Richie. History of success as a guard and never had drama playing with Wood and those guys. It's obviously the better choice than a horrible young guy with drama issues.

Funny how these "drama issues" only surfaced when an psychologically a-hole like RI started harassing him. Not all blacks like to be called Ni*ger or 1/2 ni*ger. He stood up to it in his own way. Had he punched RI in the face instead, he would have lowered himself to that a-hole's level. But then again there are a bunch of keyboard tough guys here who swear they would have beat his a** . Right!!!

There's a hint of she shouldn't have been dressed like that here. Not strong but a hint.

That's a good one. :thumbsup:

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't know how anyone gets past the fact that this guy isn't a good football player.

He's been lost out there...he would be a downgrade from any of the 3 OTs currently under contract.

Bandit, you're a poster I respect a lot. But I seem to remember he as being fairly decent as rookie. Not great, but had the ups and downs of most rookies. I know he was a disaster at LT but I wonder how most people would operate next to someone they can't stand. Just curious if you had some breakdown of him as a rookie RT.

I just don't know how anyone gets past the fact that this guy isn't a good football player.

He's been lost out there...he would be a downgrade from any of the 3 OTs currently under contract.

Because the sample size is really only his rookie year and many first year players struggle. We have no way of knowing what kind of affect everything that was going on had on his play last year but I suspect it did have an impact. I think a lot of people here believe that when/if he gets his head right...aka no longer has to play alongside RI or someone like him...that he can become a serviceable player. We don’t want to see the Bills make no effort and then watch Martin go onto a successful career. I think it's at least worth a shot to see. There is a possibility that we can get a decent player, even if only for depth, without having to use a draft pick.

Funny how these "drama issues" only surfaced when an psychologically a-hole like RI started harassing him. Not all blacks like to be called Ni*ger or 1/2 ni*ger. He stood up to it in his own way. Had he punched RI in the face instead, he would have lowered himself to that a-hole's level. But then again there are a bunch of keyboard tough guys here who swear they would have beat his a** . Right!!!

That's a good one. :thumbsup:

Richie Incognito might be a scumbag but nothing like this has ever happened before in the history of the NFL. Do I think Richie is the worst human being to ever play football? No. Do I think Martin might be the only one to quit on a team? Yes.

Dolphins players defending Richie. Wood said he's a loudmouth push the envelope guy. That's damning in itself on Martin.

Edited by FireChan

Bandit, you're a poster I respect a lot. But I seem to remember he as being fairly decent as rookie. Not great, but had the ups and downs of most rookies. I know he was a disaster at LT but I wonder how most people would operate next to someone they can't stand. Just curious if you had some breakdown of him as a rookie RT.

You hate Incongnito. Awesome for you.

That doesn't mean Martin is any good at playing NFL football. Its such a strange crusade you're on . . .

As always, I operate using the eyeball test...here's a few reviews of his rookie season though:

PFF Review:

https://www.profootb...recap-afc-east/

It was a tough season for Martin regardless of which side he lined up. His -22.0 grade placed him 76th out of the top 80 tackles and his 92.0 PBE ranked 50th out of 52. His five starts at left tackle came after starter Jake Long went down to injury and with Long’s pending free agent status, Martin may stay there long term. No matter which side he plays, Martin must show improvement after a difficult rookie campaign.

Film breakdown by Ben Muth (one of the best OL analysts out there IMO):

http://www.footballo...ure-no-openings

And, amazingly, rookie left tackle Jonathan Martin recognized a blitz by safety Derrick Martin, slid out to pick him up, and still got beat. Yes, Derrick Martin, giving up 100-plus pounds, drove Jonathan Martin backwards before shedding him for a sack

More analysis:

[it's a Bleacher Report article...not sure why I cannot post it...]

Edited by thebandit27

Behavioral problems? That's exactly what I would like to see on the Bills offensive line. Bully's, bad attitudes, and a-holes.

Like Lee Smith you mean ?

It's up to Marrone if the price is ok, but at RT or either G . He will want to prove himself next season.

If he wants to be a player in the NFL , he has A lot to prove Edited by 3rdand12

Because the sample size is really only his rookie year and many first year players struggle. We have no way of knowing what kind of affect everything that was going on had on his play last year but I suspect it did have an impact. I think a lot of people here believe that when/if he gets his head right...aka no longer has to play alongside RI or someone like him...that he can become a serviceable player. We don’t want to see the Bills make no effort and then watch Martin go onto a successful career. I think it's at least worth a shot to see. There is a possibility that we can get a decent player, even if only for depth, without having to use a draft pick.

If only because he was in the second round. More than one person thought the kid had potential in the NFL.

My vote is a resounding NO if it costs money.

I dont care if they sound him out , give him a tryout .

Martin has alot to overcome and is at best a longshot Biscuit.

If the field thins and Hairston cant play anymore ?? well we better look in nooks and crannies.

Pears is getting older fast and we have no proven backup. Much less potential upgrade in hand or bush !

We cant sleep on this position thats for sure

Edited by 3rdand12

Wouldn't cost a lot to see what he has...if he doesn't fit, cut him.

We've seen this team take much bigger/worse risks than this.

(Not to mention, the fact Buffalo's locker room IS so strong would be good thing for him.)

EDIT: and now that I see the suggestion of Incognito at OG, I'll say my comment is for either...one or the other.

Edited by Bob Malooga

Richie Incognito might be a scumbag but nothing like this has ever happened before in the history of the NFL. Do I think Richie is the worst human being to ever play football? No. Do I think Martin might be the only one to quit on a team? Yes.

Dolphins players defending Richie. Wood said he's a loudmouth push the envelope guy. That's damning in itself on Martin.

I hear you on this. Maybe Goodell is making the culture in the NFL too soft. Hell, even Brees said "He hit me real hard, it should have been a penalty". This happened at the end of the SF vs NO game where Brees was hit really hard as he let the ball go and the ref threw a flag for hitting him in the head/neck. It was clearly a shot to the shoulder by a taller player. Replays clearly show it wasn't an illegal hit. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10005963/ahmad-brooks-san-francisco-49ers-fined-hit-drew-brees-new-orleans-saints

You hate Incongnito. Awesome for you.

That doesn't mean Martin is any good at playing NFL football. Its such a strange crusade you're on . . .

It's not crusade. Maybe Martin shoudl have gotten help before leaving the team. But I'm not going to throw away a 24 year old player with talent because he struggled to deal with an awful human being. If Martin's issue was with almost any other player in the league, I won't back him as strongly. But if he is truly committed to playing football, I'd welcome the Bills bringing him and hoping his talent will shine in a good environment. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah. The classy Bryant McKinnie (check out the Love Boat scandal) and Pouncey brother ( Free Hernandez!) did. Great examples of wonderful people. I'd lean more towards the side of David Shaw and Andrew Luck but that's just me.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

It's not crusade. Maybe Martin shoudl have gotten help before leaving the team. But I'm not going to throw away a 24 year old player with talent because he struggled to deal with an awful human being. If Martin's issue was with almost any other player in the league, I won't back him as strongly. But if he is truly committed to playing football, I'd welcome the Bills bringing him and hoping his talent will shine in a good environment. Just my 2 cents.

I think you're up to about $3.50 in this thread.