Jonathan Martin

johnwalter

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 1BD acquire Jonathan Martin for the 2014 season?

• Yes, he is a good but inexpensive player that can fill a hole on the Bills roster.
    • No, the Bills have a strong locker room and Martin would put the team's chemistry at risk.

Jonathan Martin's problem wasn't dealing with Richie Incongnito.

Jonathan Martin's problem was that he sucked and playing football in the NFL.

He has already been thrown away.

The Bills can dumpster dive for someone else.

It amazes me how picky fans of a 6-10 team that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years can be. Really ? A former 2nd round pick who anchored the LT spot for a Top 10 college team that is 6'6", 320+ and graded an 87 before draft --- not even worth a look see -- but let's spend a year alternating between Colin Brown and Legursky at LG and pick up Asper and JJ Unga and hope Chris Hairston mysterious illness will get cured ---- our OL has regressed under Marrone and we could do a lot worse than taking a flyer on Martin --- again, no one is suggesting signing this guy to a 5-year $80M contract ---

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark me down in the group that would rather have Incognito back. They never should have let him leave.

Agreed. We don't need cry babies or pansies at guard, we need mean and nasty road graters. The only caveat is Incognito used to be cheap and draw too many penalties. I believe he cleaned that up two years ago, so I want him to give a push on Wilfork with Wood.

Martin was a bust for a second round pick. He's also not that strong if I remember correctly from his combine performance.

It amazes me how picky fans of a 6-10 team that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years can be. Really ? A former 2nd round pick who anchored the LT spot for a Top 10 college team that is 6'6", 320+ and graded an 87 before draft --- not even worth a look see -- but let's spend a year alternating between Colin Brown and Legursky at LG and pick up Asper and JJ Unga and hope Chris Hairston mysterious illness will get cured ---- our OL has regressed under Marrone and we could do a lot worse than taking a flyer on Martin --- again, no one is suggesting signing this guy to a 5-year $80M contract ---

Could do worse but I think we could probably do better too. RT isn't a terribly expensive or highly drafted position- odds are we can upgrade even more than Martin if it's a priority

Could do worse but I think we could probably do better too. RT isn't a terribly expensive or highly drafted position- odds are we can upgrade even more than Martin if it's a priority

I'm sure we could do better, but the downside is pretty low to give him a shot --- in meantime use the top 4 picks on TE-ILB-LG and WR

The NFL gives second third fourth and fifth chances for drugs beatung up your girlfriend, killing someone in a car accident Donte Stallworth or any other indiscretion you can come up with.

But someone who stands up for himself nobody wants?

He might be a decent RT, if not we can always release him for one of the other felons to play in the NFL.

Quite the opposite, actually. It was the failure to do so that is the issue. It's a tough sport for tough people.

Edited by Rob's House

Incognito would be a bigger media circus. I don't think that will happen where Martin goes. We'll see. But I see him as a low profile player that will do his job, keep his mouth shut. It might be a story for a week or two, but after that, nobody will care.

As it turned out, Martin could do neither of those things last season.

He never played with Wood. RI played 3 games here and Wood was hurt.

What the whole "major psychological problems" crowd seems to miss is he never had those problems until he played with the biggest scumbag in the league.

http://profootballta...f-on-incognito/

I can't even imagine what went down in "the locker room" a generation ago--before the internet and pop psyche cutlure landed half of America on "the spectrum". See KD's comment below. Martin is the outlier here...

So all his issues will just magically disappear as soon as the Kryptonite is taken away? Kinda makes you wonder why he didn't return to the Dolphins once Dr. Evil was suspended from the team. Also makes you wonder how the scores of other O-linemen who have played with RI during his career have managed to avoid having mental breakdowns.

But good job ignoring the point that he's a poor choice to waste time on given his mediocre production (in addition to his psychological problems) to date.

This is the best point to be made. I think this story will have a different ending than some expect. Martin's victimhood may come into question...

Anyway, as I asked before...why do the Bills have to be the team dumpster diving (Merriman, anyone) for these guys-- "just to kick the tires"? Great teams like the 49ers may have the luxury of indulging a head case like Martin, but we can't waste time on that stuff.

The Bills aren't a group home..

As it turned out, Martin could do neither of those things last season.

I can't even imagine what went down in "the locker room" a generation ago--before the internet and pop psyche cutlure landed half of America on "the spectrum". See KD's comment below. Martin is the outlier here...

This is the best point to be made. I think this story will have a different ending than some expect. Martin's victimhood may come into question...

Anyway, as I asked before...why do the Bills have to be the team dumpster diving (Merriman, anyone) for these guys-- "just to kick the tires"? Great teams like the 49ers may have the luxury of indulging a head case like Martin, but we can't waste time on that stuff.

The Bills aren't a group home..

I'm sure it will be easier for him to keep his mouth shut and play on a team that doesn't throw racial epitaphs and sexual innuendos about his mother and sister on a daily basis -- is the guy a bit more sensitive than a lot of football players, probably. But, let's grow up just a tad and act like professionals. I have a ton of respect for Tony Dungy and David Shaw and based on those guys, he deserves another chance. I'll take those folks word for it.

I'm sure it will be easier for him to keep his mouth shut and play on a team that doesn't throw racial epitaphs and sexual innuendos about his mother and sister on a daily basis -- is the guy a bit more sensitive than a lot of football players, probably. But, let's grow up just a tad and act like professionals. I have a ton of respect for Tony Dungy and David Shaw and based on those guys, he deserves another chance. I'll take those folks word for it.

"throw them around" has me laughing. What does that even mean?

Its like no one has spent time in a locker room before. Calling each other names - homophobic, racist, sexist, all of that is common place. It is the epitome of knuckle dragging Cro mag behavior. That's just how locker rooms are. Bur they're also fun, dancing, joking, stupid games, dunk contests, darts, bonding, sharing, being a team. A family. Its just the way it is. Martin not being able to be a part of that is the issue. To make it sound like it was all bullying? Come on. Teams bond outside of the locker room, too and Martin was a part of that. You can't ignore the good and only focus on the bad in a situation like this

If what Richie's lawyer alleges is true, and can be proven by Ted Wells' investigation, how would we then feel about bringing Martin aboard?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/30/incognito-hires-a-pr-firm-to-press-the-case-that-hes-not-a-bully/

Jonathan Martin sent text messages to Richie Incognito which included threats to send someone over to Richie Incognito’s home with a ‘tranquilizer gun and sandpaper condoms’ to homosexually rape him. Jonathan Martin sent another that said he would ‘kill [Richies’s] whole family.’ There was another where Jonathan Martin indicated he would ejaculate in Richie’s face.

If what Richie's lawyer alleges is true, and can be proven by Ted Wells' investigation, how would we then feel about bringing Martin aboard?

http://profootballta...es-not-a-bully/

Jonathan Martin sent text messages to Richie Incognito which included threats to send someone over to Richie Incognito’s home with a ‘tranquilizer gun and sandpaper condoms’ to homosexually rape him. Jonathan Martin sent another that said he would ‘kill [Richies’s] whole family.’ There was another where Jonathan Martin indicated he would ejaculate in Richie’s face.

That would certainly change things on my end.

It's interesting to me how many people bend over backwards to defend this guy. Your use of the racial angle speaks poorly for your credibility, but hey, if the race card's there might as well play it, right?

I alluded to this in my post above. Mention of texts between the two during Martin's "vicitmization" have surfaced several times.

Martin's motivations may be properly questioned.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Agreed. We don't need cry babies or pansies at guard, we need mean and nasty road graters. The only caveat is Incognito used to be cheap and draw too many penalties. I believe he cleaned that up two years ago, so I want him to give a push on Wilfork with Wood.

Martin was a bust for a second round pick. He's also not that strong if I remember correctly from his combine performance.

There is a difference between being audacious or brash in the locker room and "nasty" on the football field, and just plain being an !@#$. Incognito is the latter, and has always been that way. Martin was not new to the football locker room scene. The guy probably has been playing football since he was a tyke. He has experienced the hazing, teasing, and homophobic comments before I am sure. What happened here is clearly above and beyond typical locker room behavior. Incognito will likely catch on somewhere due to his talent, but it will have to be a special situation with a special coach who won't put up with this type of behavior in his locker room.

It's shocking what some people will do when they are abused relentlessly over a long period of time. Made to feel less than human. Just keep track of the national news and all of these mass shootings for some good examples of that.

That would certainly change things on my end.

I expect quite a few eyes will be opened if indeed Wells has those texts.

I alluded to this in my post above. Mention of texts between the two during Martin's "vicitmization" have surfaced several times.

Martin's motivations may be properly questioned.

Indeed; these are the first specifics I've read though.

There is a difference between being audacious or brash in the locker room and "nasty" on the football field, and just plain being an !@#$. Incognito is the latter, and has always been that way. Martin was not new to the football locker room scene. The guy probably has been playing football since he was a tyke. He has experienced the hazing, teasing, and homophobic comments before I am sure. What happened here is clearly above and beyond typical locker room behavior. Incognito will likely catch on somewhere due to his talent, but it will have to be a special situation with a special coach who won't put up with this type of behavior in his locker room.

Richie is a jerk; always has been. The more I hear, the more I think that Martin was acting like a spoiled brat in response to Incognito's jerkishness.

No choir boys in this situation...

It's shocking what some people will do when they are abused relentlessly over a long period of time. Made to feel less than human. Just keep track of the national news and all of these mass shootings for some good examples of that.

I understand that side; I really do. This is a chicken-or-the-egg scenario though.

It's interesting to me how many people bend over backwards to defend this guy. Your use of the racial angle speaks poorly for your credibility, but hey, if the race card's there might as well play it, right?

What ? Your statement is ridiculous. There is absolutely NO PLACE in any business for racial slurs. I'm sorry, I'm not playing the card, I'm saying if it exists as reported it is a serious issue. I don't know you and you don't know me, so, let's just agree that if RI was using race as a weapon against JM, there is no place for it in the NFL or any other place. I'll let you walk back your comments. OMG

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

"In fact, they've provided Wells with one text dated Nov. 1, 2013 in which Martin says about the controversy: "It's insane bro but just know I don’t blame you guys at all it's just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little." Quoted from the FoxNews article linked above.