Jonathan Martin

johnwalter

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 1BD acquire Jonathan Martin for the 2014 season?

• Yes, he is a good but inexpensive player that can fill a hole on the Bills roster.
    • No, the Bills have a strong locker room and Martin would put the team's chemistry at risk.

I'd rather have Richie Incognito.

+1

The guy's obviously got some behavioral issues, but he's a hell of a player on the field & might bring some much needed fire to the culture. He'd likely be on his best behavior, probably won't be expensive, & if he causes problems you can cut him.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have Richie Incognito.

Same here. Martin is not a good player and creates a big media/locker room distraction.

People here are way too hung up on where he was drafted. You'd think Bills fans of all people would understand that 'high draft pick' does not equal 'good player'.

We have a need for a turnstile. I wasn't aware of that.

So you think it's impossible for Martin to become a better player?

I'm not suggesting that he's the next best OT in the league, but what harm would it do the Bills if they brought him in to see if he can improve the O-Line?

Sometimes a change of scenery can do a player some good.

Besides, Pears is getting older, Welch is a back-up, and the status of Hairston is uncertain.

If Martin can turn it around, great. If not, no big deal.

+1 He's worth a shot in a low risk scenario. Confidence and environment matter, he can play. Might not be all-pro, but I can see him as a solid RT. David Shaw was supportive of Martin, I'd talk with him and some of the players that played with Martin at Stanford (Luck, Sherman etc.). My bet is that you'll see him in Indy with Luck.

Its a high risk of being a media circus and low risk of success based on past performance.

I'm not suggesting that he's the next best OT in the league, but what harm would it do the Bills if they brought him in to see if he can improve the O-Line?

Besides, Pears is getting older, Welch is a back-up, and the status of Hairston is uncertain.

Why Bother?

He is just a guy. If we wasn't on ESPN 90 times a day last month, this string would never exist.

Get a different guy.

+1

The guy's obviously got some behavioral issues, but he's a hell of a player on the field & might bring some much needed fire to the culture. He'd likely be on his best behavior, probably won't be expensive, & if he causes problems you can cut him.

Behavioral problems? That's exactly what I would like to see on the Bills offensive line. Bully's, bad attitudes, and a-holes.

Again. Why Bother? There Dozens of other options. Beginning with Picks 2-6 of the 2014 draft.

There is a low likelihood of success and high likelihood of media circus.

He is not some type of no brainer once in a lifetime talent. He is basically just a guy at this point in time.

I guess agree to disagree. If I was a GM, i'd kick the tires and hope that being removed from the biggest piece of trash in the NFL helps him out.

Its a high risk of being a media circus and low risk of success based on past performance.

Why Bother?

He is just a guy. If we wasn't on ESPN 90 times a day last month, this string would never exist.

Get a different guy.

Incognito would be a bigger media circus. I don't think that will happen where Martin goes. We'll see. But I see him as a low profile player that will do his job, keep his mouth shut. It might be a story for a week or two, but after that, nobody will care.

But it is a big deal, because you need to invest time and reps in order to make that determination. There is only a finite amount of time and reps available to evaluate all your players and therefore whatever training camp/pre-season investment you make in this guy is taking away from the investment you could be making in a mid-round pick or another FA who doesn't have major psychological problems. This is the reality the 'kick the tires' crowd always seems to miss.

Bring back Richie. History of success as a guard and never had drama playing with Wood and those guys. It's obviously the better choice than a horrible young guy with drama issues.

He never played with Wood. RI played 3 games here and Wood was hurt.

But it is a big deal, because you need to invest time and reps in order to make that determination. There is only a finite amount of time and reps available to evaluate all your players and therefore whatever training camp/pre-season investment you make in this guy is taking away from the investment you could be making in a mid-round pick or another FA who doesn't have major psychological problems. This is the reality the 'kick the tires' crowd always seems to miss.

What the whole "major psychological problems" crowd seems to miss is he never had those problems until he played with the biggest scumbag in the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/16/kawika-mitchell-sounds-off-on-incognito/

What ever happened to the NFL investigation and those findings, were they ever released ?

Word has it the investigative results will be out soon, Speculation has it that the results will not be super critical of the Dolfhins organization based on the idea that the Dolphins are not out there doing pre-release damage control.

What the whole "major psychological problems" crowd seems to miss is he never had those problems, that we know of, until he played with the biggest scumbag in the league.

http://profootballta...f-on-incognito/

Fixed it.

Incognito would be a bigger media circus. I don't think that will happen where Martin goes. We'll see. But I see him as a low profile player that will do his job, keep his mouth shut. It might be a story for a week or two, but after that, nobody will care.

You must not be familiar with ESPN and modern sports reporting.

Martin is the media circus.

What the whole "major psychological problems" crowd seems to miss is he never had those problems until he played with the biggest scumbag in the league.

http://profootballta...f-on-incognito/

So all his issues will just magically disappear as soon as the Kryptonite is taken away? Kinda makes you wonder why he didn't return to the Dolphins once Dr. Evil was suspended from the team. Also makes you wonder how the scores of other O-linemen who have played with RI during his career have managed to avoid having mental breakdowns.

But good job ignoring the point that he's a poor choice to waste time on given his mediocre production (in addition to his psychological problems) to date.

We could easily bring him to camp in place of another o-lineman who is here strictly as camp fodder. Teams bring in players who they know won't make it simply to get through camp without taxing the players that will make it. If they bring him in under this scenario, would that be ok? IMO, yes. As for the psychological problems, what the hell do you think someone like RI has? Yet he played for us and we were ok with it. That dude has what anyone would call major psychological problems.

I'm shocked by some of the responses here. Incognito is a known idiot. Yet Martin still is getting crap for saying enough is a enough? Because he's a football player, he has to physically stand up to a known wacko? How would that go over in your job place? Martin took a stand and because of it, lockerrooms will be different.

Martin was tough enough to protect Andrew Luck's blindside in college. He was tough enough to be a 2nd round pick. Who's to say that his play was hurt because of the crap going on in that lockerroom? It would cost nothing to bring him in. IMO, he has the potential to be the perfect RT in today's NFL. He needs strength but honestly, athletic tackles are more important than maulers. The Bills have a great lockerroom and Martin would love it here. Personally, I would have tried to stand up to that idiot RI. But why get on the case of guy who decided to take a different way than violence?

http://www.thefinsid...s-a-left-tackle

http://grantland.com...llying-scandal/

Great response. I agree with this. Plus, his contract would likely be small, so if he is not great, he's an easy cut. He's def better than this years guards. And as you pointed out, he guarded Luck's blindside. And RI is a moron who plays dirty. That's why the Rams cut him.

I guess agree to disagree. If I was a GM, i'd kick the tires and hope that being removed from the biggest piece of trash in the NFL helps him out.

I agree. He was fine at Stanford, with Jim Harbaugh as his coach. Jim is not a low key type of guy. If he had issues other than RI's antics and the Dolphins refusal to do anything about it, they would have surfaced before last season. As to why he didn't return to Miami, no person in their right mind would want to go back to that joke of an organization after what they did.

So all his issues will just magically disappear as soon as the Kryptonite is taken away? Kinda makes you wonder why he didn't return to the Dolphins once Dr. Evil was suspended from the team. Also makes you wonder how the scores of other O-linemen who have played with RI during his career have managed to avoid having mental breakdowns.

But good job ignoring the point that he's a poor choice to waste time on given his mediocre production (in addition to his psychological problems) to date.

I don't know about magic and Kryptonite, but the Dolphins weren't there for him in this situation. As an employee of the Dolphins he should have gotten more support from them. There is a reason RI was suspended and is not coming back.Why go back to that? One more thing please explain how Martin has psychological problems and RI doesn't?