Prospect of the week: Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon

Estro

First, I have to credit Joe Buscaglia for pointing this TE out on Sal Capaccio's Saturday WGR show. The dude is oozing with talent. Big size: 6'5" - 240 lbs., good blocker, soft hands, athletic as hell. Oregon used him all over the field, in line as a traditional blocking/pass catching TE, out wide as a TE/WR and in the back field as an H-back. In the H-back position he actually saw quite a few carries ala Aaron Hernandez, and was quite impressive. So why haven't I or you heard about him up until last week? He quit the Oregon football team back in October 2013, and was arrested for cocaine possession a couple of weeks after that. Clearly some huge red flags, which will really hurt his draft stock, but there's no denying his talent on the football field. I believe he's a Combine invite so the way he shows up physically and conducts his interviews there will go a long way in determining what round a team will be willing to take the chance on him. Kiko Alonso and Duke Williams both came into last years draft with some "character" dings, not nearly to the extent of Colt Lyerla's, so you can't completely rule out the Bills taking a risk on a player who is as talented as Lyerla. Check him out on youtube:

Edited by Estro

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think anyone questions the talent that Colt has. The problem is that his off field issues negate his talent.

Using a draft pick on him would most likely be a waste. As he seems determined to self destruct. He has an incredibly long history of legal run ins, spiraling worse and worse. He is facing a felony cocaine charge.

The legal system and the judge bent over backwards to give him a break, allowing him to avoid a felony conviction for drug possession and use and fleeing arrest when he was first caught.

All he had to do was complete a drug addiction treatment program and they were willing to drop the charges. He refused the opportunity multiple times. The judge has lost patience with him, which is a very bad sign.

Unless Colt admits his problem and is willing to overcome it, he will be just another another chapter in the tragedy stories of talented athletes that have destroyed themselves. And he has shown no inclination to even try to save himself.

Edited by simpleman

Quit on his team and could have a potentially serious drug problem.

He may not have a passion for the game and his drug problem could get worse with the addition of NFL income. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

He's a guy you spend a 7th round pick or bring in as UDFA. The fact he couldn't keep himself out of trouble or finish the season with millions on the line is very worrisome. Why would he act more mature with a bunch of money in his pocket? If the Bills can get him for a really low price, I'd be interested. But it'd have to be a really low pick or UDFA route.

I would take a shot on him as an undrafted FA similar to Da'Rrick Rogers last year. Guy is talented but off the field issues I don't think teams will touch him. With the influx of underclassmen there is going to be some talented players that will not be drafted.

Oh no. Another 50 page thread after the Bills cut him and he has a catch for another team!

He's a guy you spend a 7th round pick or bring in as UDFA. The fact he couldn't keep himself out of trouble or finish the season with millions on the line is very worrisome. Why would he act more mature with a bunch of money in his pocket? If the Bills can get him for a really low price, I'd be interested. But it'd have to be a really low pick or UDFA route.

IIRC the Bills used one of their official pre-draft visits to OP on D. Rogers last off season. My guess is that they will not use a late pick or make a UDFA offer unless they are able to spend significant time with him prior to the draft.

Quit on his team and could have a potentially serious drug problem.

He may not have a passion for the game and his drug problem could get worse with the addition of NFL income. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

And they said the same thing about Tyrann Mathieu and he did very well with the Cardinals... so you can't just make a generic assumption.

I really liked this guy as a prospect but the issues are bigger than him playing in the NFL. No question he has the talent but the issues addressed just on this board, screams that this guy needs serious help and doesn't need the distraction of trying to compete on the highest level. I say let him handle is legal issues and then monitor his progress if he keeps his nose clean (no pun intended) then bring him in as a street FA...With these issue hovering, he's no more than a UDFA in this draft with 2-3rd rd talent.

And they said the same thing about Tyrann Mathieu and he did very well with the Cardinals... so you can't just make a generic assumption.

But he didn't quit the team. Plus, he was a Heisman type player as a defender. He also was messing with the green. not the best but the white is another level.

Oh no. Another 50 page thread after the Bills cut him and he has a catch for another team!

:w00t::thumbsup:

I was going to write a response but C Biscuit has me covered.... Cocaine and Marijuana are not at all on the same level.

Edited by Beerball

This... I would not spend a draft pick on him. If you can bring him into camp and see what what he is now, that's fine. If not, plenty of other talented TE options out there.

I wouldn't hesistate to spend a 6th or 7th on him. I could even live with a 4th or 5th. Everyone acts like these picks are gold...every pick in the draft is a crap shoot. With a 4th or 5th round pick your taking a flyer on talent; with Colt you know the talent is there and you take a flyer on personality.

I think he has very high bust potentional, especially after being out of football for most of the year, but I really don't see that as being much different than most of our other draft picks.

I guess I will be the guy to remind everyone that the best defensive player in the history of this franchise supposedly enjoyed the booger sugar as well. That didn't stop him from being a football player.

Just sayin. A little coke isn't the certain death of a career. But it could be.