Jerry Hughes...trade? keep?

Beerball

How will Jerry Hughes fit into Schwartz' scheme? He's never used his LB's to blitz much and I don't think that Hughes can hold up as a DE. Is he someone the Bills should consider moving? What could they get for him (10 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 46 tackles)?

I don't see him having a role outside of obvious passing downs (maybe) & question whether he's worth more to someone else than the Bills.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Hughes a lot but I see your point. If he is a situational guy, would it make better sense to get a player who can play 3 or 4 downs (ahem...offense) like a TE or Guard. Straight up trades these days are rare (Hughes for Shepp was the last one I can think of). I wouldn't mind a 3rd or 4th pick for him, but would prefer to get a player who can be on the field more.

Of yiu could receive at minimum a 3rd and 4th for him, I'd say in a heartbeat. He is limited and with a 3rd or 4th rounder yiu could find someone that's in the field a lot more. Like another OLB that is at least as good or better than Lawson. We would be much better against the run in that regard.

But you'd need at least 2 picks of 4th round or better. Unless it's a 2nd and that ain't happening.

I see both sides in this case. Do you sell while his value is high or did he turn the corner last year? I guess that I would be okay either way as long as the value that you receive in return is comparable. Hughes did have 10 sacks last year so I would not trade him for less than a starting caliber player. Even if he is a situational pass rusher he can still play an important role on this team. With that being said, he is entering free agency after the upcoming season (I think) so I wonder if that is a factor? If he has another double digit sack season he will become a very expensive situational pass rusher.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I see both sides in this case. Do you sell while his value is high or did he turn the corner last year? I guess that I would be okay either way as long as the value that you receive in return is comparable. Hughes did have 10 sacks last year so I would not trade him for less than a starting caliber player. Even if he is a situational pass rusher he can still play an important role on this team. With that being said, he is entering free agency after the upcoming season (I think) so I wonder if that is a factor? If he has another double digit sack season he will become a very expensive situational pass rusher.

thats the joy of the franchise tag. He's listed as an OLB not a DE. So the franchise tag is a ton less for an OLB and we still get the production of a Good DE.

I think he was put in the right position last season and yes, I suppose he turned the corner. What I know of Schwartz' defense limits Hughes to a situational role at best (IMO). So, for me, it comes down to whether his value to Buffalo is higher or lower than another team.

Of yiu could receive at minimum a 3rd and 4th for him, I'd say in a heartbeat. He is limited and with a 3rd or 4th rounder yiu could find someone that's in the field a lot more. Like another OLB that is at least as good or better than Lawson. We would be much better against the run in that regard.

But you'd need at least 2 picks of 4th round or better. Unless it's a 2nd and that ain't happening.

Or you could get nothing from a 3rd and 4th round pick. The draft is iffy after the first round. You hope to find good players in the mid to late rounds, but there are a lot of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks that don't ever pan out - and that isn't limited to just the Bills. I'd rather keep Hughes than trade him for a couple of mid round picks

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/7143/williamsons-take-defensive-front-seven Here's someone else's take on Jerry Hughes, Lawson, Bradham, etc. It appears that everyone assumes Schwartz will be using the "wide 9" but I wouldn't be surprised if he tweaks it a bit to fit the players we have (like Pettine did).

Keep him... Schwartz is going to adapt to the players we have here. He has said it himself. Not sure why people make the blatant assumption that he's going to change the scheme so drastically as to make one of our best moves in years meaningless. :wallbash: