Jerry Hughes...trade? keep?

Beerball

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How will Jerry Hughes fit into Schwartz' scheme? He's never used his LB's to blitz much and I don't think that Hughes can hold up as a DE. Is he someone the Bills should consider moving? What could they get for him (10 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 46 tackles)?

I don't see him having a role outside of obvious passing downs (maybe) & question whether he's worth more to someone else than the Bills.

I would try to trade him to cleveland for a 3rd round pick. I'm sure Pettine would love to bring him over

So the Bills acquire a former first-rounder who is viewed as a bust by his previous team. He then blossoms into a quality performer, having a breakout season. Now we should trade him??? Imagine if Bill Polian had employed such "logic" during the Super Bowl years- "Wow, we found a real diamond in the rough in this Ballard guy..let's trade him!" "Tasker was a great pickup for our team...let's trade him!" "Now that Marchibroda has left for Indy, let's contact the Colts and see if they'd be interested in acquiring some of our offensive personnel."

So the Bills acquire a former first-rounder who is viewed as a bust by his previous team. He then blossoms into a quality performer, having a breakout season. Now we should trade him??? Imagine if Bill Polian had employed such "logic" during the Super Bowl years- "Wow, we found a real diamond in the rough in this Ballard guy..let's trade him!" "Tasker was a great pickup for our team...let's trade him!" "Now that Marchibroda has left for Indy, let's contact the Colts and see if they'd be interested in acquiring some of our offensive personnel."

It is not as simple as "Is he good yes or no (Circle one)"

So far everyone is in agreement that he is a good player that really blossomed. The question is do you have an asset that has peaked? In addition you have him for 1 more year under contract. If he performs at the same level as last year he is going to be really expensive. If he does not you may have missed your chance to use him as an asset to upgrade elsewhere. These are the factors that need to be weighed. Are you better off rolling the dice that he will remain productive in the new system and that you will be able to re-sign him to a reasonable contract? If the answer to either of those questions is no you are better off dealing him (assuming that you can get an equal return).

Just for fun let's use the example from earlier: Is your team better off with Khalil Mack and Jermaine Gresham or Eric Ebron and Jerry Hughes (remember that Hughes is due for a big raise)? I really don't know but I would hate to end up next year with just Ebron in that scenario.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I would keep Hughes and pretty much only play him at DE on passing downs. He can still probably produce more than the player you'd get in return for him.

ill agree. keep him as a role player, just like he was. odds are we get little for him. worst case let him play out his deal and hopefully get a comp pick.

What % of the cap should the Bills tie up in pass rushers? They are going to have to extend CJ and Dareus soon not to mention Byrd this year. Maybe they can work out a favorable extension this year but with Mario on the books it is going to be tough to resign Hughes to the type of contract that double digit sack guys get.

I would rather put money into pass rushers than safeties. A good pass rush makes average DB's look good. No pass rush and HOF DB's get lit up.

Dareus extension will be interesting. I just don't see him as a game changer type, evne after this year. Say he wants top 5 money, it would be tough to convince yourself to sign him

I guess we'll see how good Schwartz is at fitting the scheme to the players. I'd prefer to keep good players and utilize them properly rather than starting over all the time.

How will Jerry Hughes fit into Schwartz' scheme? He's never used his LB's to blitz much and I don't think that Hughes can hold up as a DE. Is he someone the Bills should consider moving? What could they get for him (10 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 46 tackles)?

I don't see him having a role outside of obvious passing downs (maybe) & question whether he's worth more to someone else than the Bills.

I would rather put money into pass rushers than safeties. A good pass rush makes average DB's look good. No pass rush and HOF DB's get lit up.

Dareus extension will be interesting. I just don't see him as a game changer type, evne after this year. Say he wants top 5 money, it would be tough to convince yourself to sign him

Are you advocating that the Bills should not resign both Dareus and Byrd? When Dareus hits FA, you bet you're butt he's going to want top 5 money for a DT. 110% guaranteed.

Agree on all fronts but specific to the players would you rather have Byrd or Hughes? I am guessing that you will be looking at a very similar contract if Hughes has the same year that he had last year. In that case I would rather Byrd (even though safeties don't make the same impact as pass rushers).

Agree on all fronts but specific to the players would you rather have Byrd or Hughes? I am guessing that you will be looking at a very similar contract if Hughes has the same year that he had last year. In that case I would rather Byrd (even though safeties don't make the same impact as pass rushers).

Both. Bills are in a situation where they don't have to pick one or the other. They have enough cap room to sign ALL their pending FA's and extend all of their players that have one year left on their contracts. If EJ blossoms into a true franchise QB, they cut Mario after 2015 season and use that money to resign QB. I'm not suggesting stupid spending because at some point if Bills continue to accumulate talented players, we will have a cap issue, but that is at least 2 years down the road and a problem all of us would love to have.

Both. Bills are in a situation where they don't have to pick one or the other. They have enough cap room to sign ALL their pending FA's and extend all of their players that have one year left on their contracts. If EJ blossoms into a true franchise QB, they cut Mario after 2015 season and use that money to resign QB. I'm not suggesting stupid spending because at some point if Bills continue to accumulate talented players, we will have a cap issue, but that is at least 2 years down the road and a problem all of us would love to have.

I just don't see $45M contracts for both Hughes and Byrd. There are just too many other guys that will be coming up (regardless of QB). They are a projected $18M under the cap next year. They can free up a few more (about $6 I think) with the release of Pears and Kolb. That would put you at $24M to try to sign Byrd, draft picks, any players that you want to add and any extensions that you want to try to offer. It is not all that much because of the $12M+ in dead money.

Ship him out while his value is high.

It's not that high...He's a situational guy playing opposite of Mario Williams on obvious passing situations...He's a niche player but very good at his niche...He's worth more to the Bills anyway...The Bills will utilize him in 2014 the same way they did in 2013...And I doubt very much they move him...That would eliminate a good chunk of their effective pass rush with no one to fill the gap...

Edited by KOKBILLS

I just don't see $45M contracts for both Hughes and Byrd. There are just too many other guys that will be coming up (regardless of QB). They are a projected $18M under the cap next year. They can free up a few more (about $6 I think) with the release of Pears and Kolb. That would put you at $24M to try to sign Byrd, draft picks, any players that you want to add and any extensions that you want to try to offer. It is not all that much because of the $12M+ in dead money.

This site says Bills will have $28M in cap space. Agree, they'll cut Kolb and Pears. That raises it to $34M. They would need to structure any new contracts or extensions accordingly to fit under. I don't see them extending Spiller until 2015 and even then I think it's at best is 50/50. I think they can resign all 3 Dareus, Byrd and Hughes and be okay for next couple of years until Mario can be cut/restructured. Even if Byrd gets $8M, Hughes and Dareus $6M each, that's $20M/year, leaves $14M in space in 2014 and more in 2015.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24379050/agents-take-raiders-atop-list-of-10-teams-with-best-2014-salary-cap-situation

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Good question OP.

I feel like the answer to this question largely depends on the FO's opinion on Alex Carrington. He looked pretty good early on this year and his body size may be more conducive to helping plug up a leaky run D. A D-line consisting of Alex, Kyle, Marcel, and Mario is a line of very big men (and relatively athletic).

Of course this is all up in the air with several questions- Will Alex be resigned? Does the new coaching staff view him as a DT or DE in their scheme (he has been switching between both)? and of course do they view Jerry Hughes as an every down player?

All that being said, I think there is a good argument to be made for trading Hughes while his value is relatively high if the current Coaching Staff does not view him as a good fit for the scheme. I also admit to finding Carrington's size and a solid athleticism appealing as a starter on the D line....that is if he can stay healthy.

Interesting question, and I would be ok with the decision from the front office either way as long as they have a plan to replace him (unlike with the LG situation). It would be kind of sad for Jerry though, he seemed to enjoy his time in Buffalo :'(

This site says Bills will have $28M in cap space. Agree, they'll cut Kolb and Pears. That raises it to $34M. They would need to structure any new contracts or extensions accordingly to fit under. I don't see them extending Spiller until 2015 and even then I think it's at best is 50/50. I think they can resign all 3 Dareus, Byrd and Hughes and be okay for next couple of years until Mario can be cut/restructured. Even if Byrd gets $8M, Hughes and Dareus $6M each, that's $20M/year, leaves $14M in space in 2014 and more in 2015.

http://www.cbssports...y-cap-situation

The site that I saw is about $19M not $18M http://overthecap.co...p-space-update/