Who said Defense doesn't win Championships

mrags

Everyone of Seattle's linebackers are bigger and just as fast as Kiko. Hell I'm not sure Chancellor isn't bigger than Kiko. My God they are good. We need to bring in at least three new bigger guys in FA and the draft.

You may be right and Thomas may be better too but the Bills may never have the chance to sign them. The Bills have an All-Pro FS in Byrd. If you want to give up on him, give him away for nothing, and then move A. Williams to FS what do you do at SS? That just leaves yet another gaping hole on the defense. Searcy can't cover. He can't even tackle that well.

Too many years of looking for cover 2 small LBs.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect but I'm glad they didn't give the MVP to Russell Wilson just because he's the QB. He's going to be a really good one for a long time but that defense was the MVPs all year. That's why W-L records for QBs is such a flawed stat. A lot of QBs would have produced Ws with that defense. It's like what the Jets tried to do with Sanchez except Wilson is much better than him.

Call me a homer (I've been called worse), but a few more pieces and I can see the Bills being a winning team using the Seattle formula.

No disrespect but I'm glad they didn't give the MVP to Russell Wilson just because he's the QB. He's going to be a really good one for a long time but that defense was the MVPs all year. That's why W-L records for QBs is such a flawed stat. A lot of QBs would have produced Ws with that defense. It's like what the Jets tried to do with Sanchez except Wilson is much better than him.

Call me a homer (I've been called worse), but a few more pieces and I can see the Bills being a winning team using the Seattle formula.

Seattle's formula is pretty hard. It basically involves having an all-time great defense and a superb, playmaking QB.

I think it's because there is far more pressure on the offense than the defense.

The high powered offense needs to score a lot of points for the team to win. As soon as things start to go wrong, the game gets away. You can't be balanced and run. You start to force things. That favors the D.

Also, as someone else said, it's easier to play amped up on defense. You attack, destroy, and hit. The Broncos had one 12 or 13 play drive where they had gone 50 yards! LOL

That Seattle D will give you a 3 yard catch and then they will destroy your WR....

Can we wait for Chancellor's contract and pay him instead? Chancellor is 10x the safety as Byrd.

We don't have to wait...Chancellor signed a 4-year, $28M contract extension back in April. Here's the details of the deal, which kicks in at the start of the new league year:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/kam-chancellor/

I don't think there is an O-line in the league that could stop Seattle tonight. Building O-line's is important, but Seattle tossed around a Denver O-line that didn't let Manning get touched for 2 straight playoff games.

Yep...if anything, this game was a testament to building a great defense with depth. Between the two teams, Denver and Seattle's OLs were polar opposites this season. Denver's OL was consistent, stout, and solid in both phases of offense, while Seattle's featured 9 different starters that kept Wilson running for his life and forced Lynch to make most of his yards on his own.

Biggest difference in this game was that Seattle combined excellent (albeit illegal--but hey, the new trend will be defensive holding on every play, so good on 'em) coverage with a relentless pass rush, while Denver had neither--that can happen when 2 of your 3 best pass rushers (Miller and Wolfe) go down for the season.

Seattle's formula is pretty hard. It basically involves having an all-time great defense and a superb, playmaking QB.

I agree....

Some people don't seem to realize that Seattle is DEEP. That secondary was missing one of its key players in Browner. And they were still brutally effective.

That entire team is stacked with talent, from the OL to the DL to the LB to the WR to the secondary. Heck, they didn't have Rice last night and they only got Harvin back last night.

They are like a Madden video game team. And they are young. They could very well be right back next year. As good and as physical as the 49ers are, they have blown them out a couple of times in recent memory.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I thought Avril deserved strong consideration for MVP as well.

Love it when D players get the recognition like that. Well deserved.

GO BILLS!!!

Just about to post the same thing. Bis cuit is right, with Seatle's defense you can win with any number of QB's I suppose, but pretty tough to build a defense as good as Seatle's. A good QB will mask a lot of flaws on a team.

If you recall what I have said many times, NO QB that has lead the NFL in passing yards (and possibly scoring) has ever won a SB.

Offense fills the seats in the regular season, but Defense wins Championships.

Kurt Warner was the closest top ranked passing leader to win one.

He ranked #2 in passing yards in 1999 in his victory against the Home Run Throw Forward Tennessee Titans.

http://www.pro-footb...ear_by_year.htm

And he should've been playing against a top 5 defense in the Bills in that SB!!!!!!!

Stupid plays don't win games either. It started from the get go when the hotshot Bronco returner decided returning the opening kickoff from 9 yards deep in the end zone was an intelligent move. He got to the 12, which ensured that the errant snap on the next play would reach the end zone. It was downhill from there.

That's a good point which I noted at the time. That ball should have never been brought out. It's only a 7-8 yard difference, but that boneheaded play changed the whole game. Starting at the 20 is routine, it's familiar and starting from the 12 turned into a disaster. Early on Lynch was getting shutdown and Wilson had the jitters and was missing open receivers. If that returner had taken a knee, we could have seen a completely different outcome. As for "defense wins championships", I have noticed that it has become en vogue the last couple of years for announcers and analysts to dismiss that saying. "It's a passing league, the rules favor offense, it's a qb driven league". You hear stuff like this all the time. Well this Super Bowl destroyed that logic. The leagues #1 defense nearly shutout the leagues #1 offense in a blowout.

Manning is done so is Brady their time is over. It is a new NFL, you need mobile athletic QBs. They may keep their teams competitive but neither one will win another super bowl. Mark my words.

Those words would be much bolder if these QBs weren't going to be 38 & 37 next year. Care to make another prediction Nostradamus?

A couple of odd things I noticed yesterday:

Chris Berman had a stat on 4 of the great SB dynasties & they were the youngest team, or close to the youngest team, when their run began: 70s Steelers, 80s Niners, 90s Cowboys & 2000s Pats. Note that the Seahawks are among the youngest ever.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the 70s Dolphins. They lost on their first shot, then won two and had that undefeated season.

The Seahawks make a very big deal about the "12th Man." Seattle streets were hung with 12th man flags, etc. So, for pure weirdness, both halfs began with a Seattle score in 12 seconds, for a total of 9 points, which was enough to have won the game even if they didn't score again.

Edited by yungmack

A couple of odd things I noticed yesterday:

Chris Berman had a stat on 4 of the great SB dynasties & they were the youngest team, or close to the youngest team, when their run began: 70s Steelers, 80s Niners, 90s Cowboys & 2000s Pats. Note that the Seahawks are among the youngest ever.

The Seahawks make a very big deal about the "12th Man." Seattle streets were hung with 12th man flags, etc. So, for pure weirdness, both halfs began with a Seattle score in 12 seconds, for a total of 9 points, which was enough to have won the game even if they didn't score again.

The NFL is rigged!