Losing Pettine may not be all that bad for Bills

Ludwig van

I was looking up the run defense rankings for Mike Pettine as DC from 2009 through the present.

The rankings were as followed.

2013--28th

2012--26th

2011--20th

2010--30th

2009--25th

To me if you can not stop the run you will never be able to win a championship.

Although I agree Pettine is a good DC especially when it comes to pressuring the QB, I also believe this could be his Achilles heel being that it leaves guys out of position to stop these gash plays.

I wish Pettine the best but I'm glad to not have his departure looming over this franchise any longer.

I have read soo many posts of fans worried about how this will effect the team and i believe they might be jumping the gun..

It is possible that Butfalo could have a better overall defense in 2014 depending on who they bring in.

Edited by Ludwig van

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone really expected him to be here long term, so in that aspect it might be easier to deal with him leaving. To look at the positive side, there are a great many highly qualified coaches out there and we just need to find the right fit. We have good players and we should have better ones next year. Good organizations can handle situations like this, it's a big test for the Bills.

What's happened to you? You've turned into a real negative nelly.

I also noticed that : (

Two things. Bills defense showed they could compete. Have players and upside .

That was grand fun really watching them develop each week, in general .

But i think Buffalo is more inviting than it was when Gailey was signed on.

I think the ship is righted now. just not ready to hoist the mainsails .

righting the ship was a noble effort in and of itself.

This season i think we make progress in the w/l column and field a more competent team .

Pettine did Bills some good by proving he was not Rexies shadow puppet. Best wishes to him

Edited by 3rdand12

Pettine takes over the defense and multiple players have career years, including several players that were previously bordering on being "busts". In addition, they find promising young rookies like Robey and Alonso. That's good coaching.

It's unlikely that the Bills can bring in someone who performs as well and the transition alone will probably cement Byrd's determination to leave, but hey it's the Bills.

Pettine takes over the defense and multiple players have career years, including several players that were previously bordering on being "busts". In addition, they find promising young rookies like Robey and Alonso. That's good coaching.

It's unlikely that the Bills can bring in someone who performs as well and the transition alone will probably cement Byrd's determination to leave, but hey it's the Bills.

Whaley/Nix deserve the credit for last year's draft, not Pettine.

My take on Pettine's departure:

Our defense will continue to improve next year, regardless of who the new DC is. We are simply loaded defensively, aside from LBs which will surely be addressed this off season. Also, I suspect we will be ranked higher against the run. Remember how often we were trappled on last year by almost every RB?

So Pettine, thanks for the sacks and turnovers. Good luck in Cleveland.