Losing Pettine may not be all that bad for Bills

Ludwig van

I was looking up the run defense rankings for Mike Pettine as DC from 2009 through the present.

The rankings were as followed.

2013--28th

2012--26th

2011--20th

2010--30th

2009--25th

To me if you can not stop the run you will never be able to win a championship.

Although I agree Pettine is a good DC especially when it comes to pressuring the QB, I also believe this could be his Achilles heel being that it leaves guys out of position to stop these gash plays.

I wish Pettine the best but I'm glad to not have his departure looming over this franchise any longer.

I have read soo many posts of fans worried about how this will effect the team and i believe they might be jumping the gun..

It is possible that Butfalo could have a better overall defense in 2014 depending on who they bring in.

Even more interesting that they hired Jim Shwartz whose defenses excelled at stopping the run and 3rd down conversion. I liked Pettine and he made our defense better, but I really like the Shwartz hire.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

evidently Schwartz's defense puts a lot of pressure on linebackers in run defense (i know, what defense doesn't?). in that case, we need linebackers, bad. i am not looking forward to another year of watching us get gashed 15-20 yards off-tackle half a dozen times a game.,

I know that I am not feeling Mario lining up in a "wide-nine" technique. That most definitely is not his game. Really would have liked to see a successor to Pettine who would keep the same defense in place.

Pettine's defense had 8 games when generating 1 or fewer turnovers. To me a dynamic defense, and team that wins must be able to generate 2 or more turnovers a game to win.

For example, Seattle has only 5 games all season including playoffs when they've generated 1 turnover or less. They had one game where they generated 0 turnovers and in that they needed OT to beat Tampa. Seattle is 11-2 when generating 2 or more turnovers.

I know that I am not feeling Mario lining up in a "wide-nine" technique. That most definitely is not his game. Really would have liked to see a successor to Pettine who would keep the same defense in place.

I, for one, did not want the same defense that lost a few games for us where the offense put up 30+ and we lost. The Bills D struggled mightily in some games, especially where there was an elite QB or OC. Pettine killed it against division rivals he had a lot of experience preparing for or working for like Jets and Phins and Ravens. But against Cincy, NO, Steelers, and Pats (which he should know how to stop by now) he couldn't get it done. I liked a lot of what he brought to the table, but other than the fact we need to install a new scheme I am not too upset about it. I don't care how many guys had sacks or INTs or went to the Pro Bowl. I want to win. Browns and Bills had more pro bowlers on D than Indy, Pats and Broncos combined but we see who made it further.Yes, they have better QBs at this stage. . But I want a defense that allows fewer points for that reason. Edited by YoloinOhio

I for one, am not losing any sleep over Pettine going . . .

1. His defense, while exciting with lots of exotic blitzes, gave up a lot of points to good teams,

2. Couldn't stop the run when it was most needed, and

3. He proved his deep lack of intellectual acumen by taking a job with the Cleveland Browns!

Why would any NFL team want a guy who wanted to go to the mess that is the Cleveland Browns???

Edited by CSBill

I, for one, did not want the same defense that lost a few games for us where the offense put up 30+ and we lost. The Bills D struggled mightily in some games, especially where there was an elite QB or OC. Pettine killed it against division rivals he had a lot of experience preparing for or working for like Jets and Phins and Ravens. But against Cincy, NO, Steelers, and Pats (which he should know how to stop by now) he couldn't get it done. I liked a lot of what he brought to the table, but other than the fact we need to install a new scheme I am not too upset about it. I don't care how many guys had sacks or INTs or went to the Pro Bowl. I want to win. Browns and Bills had more pro bowlers on D than Indy, Pats and Broncos combined but we see who made it further.Yes, they have better QBs at this stage. . But I want a defense that allows fewer points for that reason.

I disagree entirely. In 30+ years of watching Bills football I have never seen a Bills pass rush have the impact that Pettine's D had in the first two months of the season. They single handedly carried the team and won games against teams like Carolina and Baltimore.....not in division btw.

After Jeff Tuel audibled at the goal line against KC, the team as a whole gave only variable effort thereafter for the rest of the season. From that point on it was hard to really decisively evaluate anything they were doing but the bottom line is that the defense was championship caliber while the offensive passing game was atrocious. The solution to the poor run defense is a better offense, not changing anything that defense was doing.

Schwartz defense in Detroit finished 29th in the NFL in sacks last year with a paltry 33........unacceptable. He had Gunther Cunningham as his DC.......and IMO that man was washed up a decade ago. Watching Schwartz clown show in Detroit generally gives me zero confidence in him. And Marrone having a staff with 3 failed Lions coaches is :doh: .

I disagree entirely. In 30+ years of watching Bills football I have never seen a Bills pass rush have the impact that Pettine's D had in the first two months of the season. They single handedly carried the team and won games against teams like Carolina and Baltimore.....not in division btw.

After Jeff Tuel audibled at the goal line against KC, the team as a whole gave only variable effort thereafter for the rest of the season. From that point on it was hard to really decisively evaluate anything they were doing but the bottom line is that the defense was championship caliber while the offensive passing game was atrocious. The solution to the poor run defense is a better offense, not changing anything that defense was doing.

Schwartz defense in Detroit finished 29th in the NFL in sacks last year with a paltry 33........unacceptable. He had Gunther Cunningham as his DC.......and IMO that man was washed up a decade ago. Watching Schwartz clown show in Detroit generally gives me zero confidence in him. And Marrone having a staff with 3 failed Lions coaches is :doh: .

Bado....I know I really dont have to tell u this but....he was the HC there and not the DC.....and has been a pretty darn good DC?

There is def the possibility that Pettine will fall on his face as a HC now that the light is shining on him.......and that former HC's often make awesome Defensive and Offensive Coordinators

I didnt want to lose Pettine....but I am ok with this hire

I, for one, did not want the same defense that lost a few games for us where the offense put up 30+ and we lost. The Bills D struggled mightily in some games, especially where there was an elite QB or OC. Pettine killed it against division rivals he had a lot of experience preparing for or working for like Jets and Phins and Ravens. But against Cincy, NO, Steelers, and Pats (which he should know how to stop by now) he couldn't get it done. I liked a lot of what he brought to the table, but other than the fact we need to install a new scheme I am not too upset about it. I don't care how many guys had sacks or INTs or went to the Pro Bowl. I want to win. Browns and Bills had more pro bowlers on D than Indy, Pats and Broncos combined but we see who made it further.Yes, they have better QBs at this stage. . But I want a defense that allows fewer points for that reason.

That happened a grand total of 1 time (Toronto game). You want to win? You'll win when we get better play out of our QB. I agree with Badol's comments - once the team lost to KC, they just mailed in every road game.

Show me a Bills fan who would have traded Mike Pettine for Jim Schwartz straight-up at the end of the season and I'll show you a liar.

Edited by QCity

The team quit after the KC game? And it was all Tuel's fault? Dude, tell me more... what was the defense's excuse for the NO and Cincy games? You don't think they needed to change anything about the D, their run defense was poor because it was EJ and Hackett's fault? I understand the correlation between a good passing offense and poor run defense, but the Broncos run defense was atrocious... so not always the solution, eh? Why are you using Schwartz's HC years to evaluate him as a DC? Who would you have preferred, btw?

That happened a grand total of 1 time (Toronto game). You want to win? You'll win when we get better play out of our QB. I agree with Badol's comments - once the team lost to KC, they just mailed in every road game.

Show me a Bills fan who would have traded Mike Pettine for Jim Schwartz straight-up at the end of the season and I'll show you a liar.

How about the Cincy game? Good defense? Edited by YoloinOhio

Progress to me is the fact another team took one of our coordinators and made him head coach. More progress is that we got an ex-head coach and experienced D-coord to replace him. I like the hire. Not a Schwartz fan as a head coach but like Greggo, being the head D-coach may be his best position.

The team quit after the KC game? And it was all Tuel's fault? Dude, tell me more... what was the defense's excuse for the NO and Cincy games? Why are you using Schwartz's HC years to evaluate him as a DC? Who would you have preferred, btw?

How about the Cincy game? Good defense?

If you don't think the KC loss was Tuel's and Grahams fault, I don't know what to tell you. KC didn't score an offensive TD that day, and if they played another 4 quarters I doubt they would have. Nobody was beating NO inside that dome, not even SF.

And no, the D didn't play that well against Cincy, but they held them to 24 in regulation. Feel free to show me all those losses where the O put up 30+ points though...

On the other hand, it may spell disaster for the Bills. Come on, which do you think is more likely?

6-10 is disaster. Being around the bottom 10 in points against IS a disaster. Forget about the "stats". This defense will be better in 2014.

the best alternative to stopping the run is to score a lot of points. pass and stop the pass, and just dont be a disaster in the run game.

Oh yeah…the Bills are set up for that….

I agree with Badol's comments - once the team lost to KC, they just mailed in every road game.

Feel free to explain how they beat Jax on the road if they mailed in EVERY road game after KC. Or how they fought the whole game against NE when they had nothing to play for. I love when fans try to claim that they know how much effort players put in.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Clearly... but making excuses for the terrible run D by blaming it on the offense, and the assertion that the Bills quit on the season (blamed on the Tuel play to start it off) after week 9 when they weren't out of playoff contention until week 13, to explain bad defense is just great. Also, the excuse people love that no one wins in NO. Not everyone needs to give up 37 points either, especially when our QB is off the PS and playing the whole game with broken ribs. No excuses there though... fire Hackett!