DC candidates

Wouldn't there be at least two openings with the Pettine hire: Buffalo and Cleveland!

Pettine wants O'Neil for his DC . Unless Buffalo offers to promotes him to DC , I doubt we would force him to stay here. He would not be a happy camper.

Just hours after taking the head coaching job with the Browns Mike Pettine has already asked the Bill for permission to interview LBs coach Jim O’Neil.

That according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter who tweeted the following.

AdamSchefter: Browns submitted request to Buffalo to interview Bills LB coach Jim O’Neil for Cleveland’s DC. O’Neil and Pettine worked together with Jets.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

Edited by ALF

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw that Pittsburgh had granted Tennessee's request to interview LB Coach Keith Butler for their DC job, prior to them going with Ray Horton as their DC.

By rule, that means that Pittsburgh must allow Butler to interview for any job he wants; given his connection to Whaley and the general consensus around the league that he's ready to run a defense, that makes me think he could be a viable option.

Doesn't anyone remember what happened when Wade was fired from Buffalo? First of all he had taken the Bills to the playoffs, losing to the Titans on that botched call. Then he refused to fire his assistant coach and then HE was fired for what Ralph called insubordination, and Ralph tried to get out of paying Wade for the remaining years of his contract, which goes against all normal NFL practice. Eventually

Ralph backed down and paid Wade, but the damage to the Bills' reputation around the league was done. That, and firing Polian and Butler. We have never been taken seriously again, for good reason considering Jeff Littman is still counting Ralph's beans and preventing spending the money needed to build a strong team.

Wade might come back to a city he enjoyed, but I doubt he'd come back to Ralph's organization. Ralph might be a good guy, but he's got real jerks working for him, and a lot of good coaches and execs won't consider working in Buffalo until ownership changes hands.

I am not sure that is true ... I have heard Polian say he loved it in Buffalo and might consider returning, if the opportunity presented itself. Chan basically wanted to stay and would probably return too but it would be awkward at the moment. I think fans might make more of the bad blood then people around the NFL. The only person I think may really not like Buffalo is Donahue.

I am not sure that is true ... I have heard Polian say he loved it in Buffalo and might consider returning, if the opportunity presented itself. Chan basically wanted to stay and would probably return too but it would be awkward at the moment. I think fans might make more of the bad blood then people around the NFL. The only person I think may really not like Buffalo is Donahue.

Ralph is a non-issue for coaches/GMs at this point. One trip to One Bills Drive and they'll know that Russ is the guy in charge now.

Pettine wants O'Neil for his DC . Unless Buffalo offers to promotes him to DC , I doubt we would force him to stay here. He would not be a happy camper.

Just hours after taking the head coaching job with the Browns Mike Pettine has already asked the Bill for permission to interview LBs coach Jim O’Neil.

That according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter who tweeted the following.

AdamSchefter: Browns submitted request to Buffalo to interview Bills LB coach Jim O’Neil for Cleveland’s DC. O’Neil and Pettine worked together with Jets.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

I hate this ****... tell me one other business model that allows quality personnel to jump ship to a competing "business" mid contract, then also allow that same personnel to take even more talent from within your own organization...?? I know its a great thing for these guys to get promoted, but this affects so many things on both sides. Craziness!

I hate this ****... tell me one other business model that allows quality personnel to jump ship to a competing "business" mid contract, then also allow that same personnel to take even more talent from within your own organization...?? I know its a great thing for these guys to get promoted, but this affects so many things on both sides. Craziness!

No reports yet that Buffalo has granted that request.

ESPN Bills blogger Mike Rodak thinks DBs coach Donnie Henderson could be an option to replace Mike Pettine as Buffalo's defensive coordinator.

Henderson has coordinating experience; he was the Jets DC from 2004-2005 before running the Lions defense in 2006. He's been with coach Doug Marrone the past two seasons but also could follow Pettine to Cleveland. Rodak also mentions Gregg Williams as a potential Pettine replacement. Williams was in Tennessee this past season but was let go when Ken Whisenhunt was hired.

Source: ESPN.com

This is a non-report. Posters here said the same thing.

the Admins need to link all of these DC threads together. it's a B word having to repost the same stuff 3 and 4 times.

Wade Phillips Tweeted he'd be interested in working on a team he once worked before. Dated Jan 22

Wade Phillips@sonofbum Jan 22

Yes I would go back to where I have been before.I enjoyed and was treated well at all my stops. I just want to help a team win this year.

https://twitter.com/sonofbum

I just saw that Pittsburgh had granted Tennessee's request to interview LB Coach Keith Butler for their DC job, prior to them going with Ray Horton as their DC.

By rule, that means that Pittsburgh must allow Butler to interview for any job he wants; given his connection to Whaley and the general consensus around the league that he's ready to run a defense, that makes me think he could be a viable option.

A lot of fans on Twitter seem to think the bills are going after him too

There have not been any reports that the Bills have asked permission to interview coaches with other teams. That hints to me that they could be going after someone currently unemployed.

Maybe I'm just hoping too much that it's Wade but it's a possibility.

Take it FWIW, but word from another board and from a respected poster is that the Bills will have their DC within the next 2 days. They are going hard after a "name" and good coach outside the organization, but if that falls through, they'll look inside. I hope the guy they're going after is Wade.