Richard Sherman post game -- 'nuff said!

cage

I don't think you can call all critics of Sherman racist, but I imagine you can apply that term to people who think that he was repping the Bloods, or are casually tossing off that he is from Compton.

Take the flipside - why is it forbidden to mention that he's from Compton, and that his performance resembled how a kid from Compton acts more than they resembled how a Stanford graduate would act?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the flipside - why is it forbidden to mention that he's from Compton, and that his performance resembled how a kid from Compton acts more than they resembled how a Stanford graduate would act?

It's not. In this context it's generally pretty clear what people are getting at, though.

I like how this thread is about Richard Sherman's racist detractors instead of Richard Sherman's behavior.

It's amazing that people are ready to defend Sherman's behavior but are quick to call or suggest that other people they've never met or personally spoken to are racists based on what they believe is a racist code word.

It's not. In this context it's generally pretty clear what people are getting at, though.

I don't agree with that. I didn't look at this thread until tonight, and basically I see the usual pattern of a criticism of a black player who borrowed heavily from a ghetto culture, and people mocking the critics as racist. The culture transcends the race in this instance. I'm guessing the same criticism would have been levied on Sherman if he was white and had the same interview with Andrews.

I don't agree with that. I didn't look at this thread until tonight, and basically I see the usual pattern of a criticism of a black player who borrowed heavily from a ghetto culture, and people mocking the critics as racist. The culture transcends the race in this instance. I'm guessing the same criticism would have been levied on Sherman if he was white and had the same interview with Andrews.

I'm referring to more than what I've seen in just thos thread. Still, "ghetto culture"? I see more in common in Sherman's with WWF than with that, whatever it means.

In the Seattle paper today Sherman says: "I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said 'Good game, good game.' then when he shoved my face, and that's when I went off.."

Now he's just making stuff up. I watched the replay of that exchange and Sherman never sticks his hand out to shake. He runs over to Crabs and gets in his face and is yelling. You can tell cuz his head is moving. He says a lot more than "good game, good game."

I wonder why he didn't congratulate Colin and instead flashed him the choke sign since he was in such a good sport mood?

That and the "apology". Damage control I guess. Why bother with all this stuff if it's just Richard being Richard and there was nothing wrong with as we've been told?

Gonna be a fun 2 weeks.

Edited by reddogblitz

In the Seattle paper today Sherman says: "I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said 'Good game, good game.' then when he shoved my face, and that's when I went off.."

Now he's just making stuff up. I watched the replay of that exchange and Sherman never sticks his hand out to shake. He runs over to Crabs and gets in his face and is yelling. You can tell cuz his head is moving. He says a lot more than "good game, good game."

I wonder why he didn't congratulate Colin and instead flashed him the choke sign since he was in such a good sport mood?

That and the "apology". Damage control I guess. Why bother with all this stuff if it's just Richard being Richard and there was nothing wrong with as we've been told?

Gonna be a fun 2 weeks.

I think your analysis is completely wrong but the good news is they were both miked up and the audio will be released tomorrow.

I think your analysis is completely wrong but the good news is they were both miked up and the audio will be released tomorrow.

If Brian cox runs up to a bills player and does what Sherman did, would you assume the message was "jolly good match sir, I hope we can go get a beer and celebrate everyone's accomishments" or would it be "haaaaaa I beat you and you suck - nice try!!!!"

Regardless of what was said, he had no business going up to Crabtree there- he knows it, and I think you know it too.

Great video. I don't think anyone is questioning his work ethic...just that he sounded like a self centered punk after the win. Other than that, yes, he is a talent. (and before anyone points the racist finger at me, I call my meathead yellow lab a punk when he chews my socks, deal with it!!)

Its called entertainment... we are watching football here. Look at this thread, its running on 14 pages. If he had given a low key, selfless interview praising his teammates, coaches and how difficult it was to compete against an incredible athlete like Michael Crabtree, would a thread about how great a play Richard Sherman is even reach 2 pages? This is why we watch Football... and boxing, MMA, wrestling...

Edited by cage

Gonna be a fun 2 weeks.

I saw the same replay and saw the proffered hand more than once.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Isn't he a Stanford graduate? I guess this is how SOME Stanford graduates act. And how the hell do you know what a kid from Compton acts like? Look guys, it was a physical game and emotions ran high, if people don't want to hear this stuff, then don't interview a player right after the game, especially on the field. People are making a big deal out of nothing. Like Cage says, it's entertainment people! And as for mentioning Compton is forbidden, where did you get that? I heard that mentioned more than once.

I saw the same replay and saw the proffered hand more than once.

Yes, I saw that too...he also padded him on the ass before extending his hand. At that point, Crabtree pushed him away...like "get the !@#$ out of my face"....Sherman is saying that is what prompted his post-game tirade...he was caught up in the emotion, they are competitors, etc etc...I think Sherman should have given Crabtree the same consideration...he just had his the fate of his teams' season knocked from his hands... Sherman actually had about 10 minutes to compose himself for his interview...Crabtree had about 3 seconds. Also, Sherman was all "I am the greatest" after the Saints game, even busted into one his teammates interviews to let everyone know...realizing what he had done, and how boorish he was looking, he reeled himself in and started heaping praise on the teammate who was being interviewed. Not a sin, not a crime, it will happen again, somewhere along the way...not a big deal. I guess what gets me is how many people think this behavior is "awesome"!

Gonna be a fun 2 weeks.

Reddog, I recall them showing, more than once, Sherman patting Crabtree on the ass, and then walking in front of him to extend his hand...at which point, Crabtree pushed him away, by the facemask....not hard, just more to say, "get the hell away from me".

Yes, I saw that too...he also padded him on the ass before extending his hand. At that point, Crabtree pushed him away...like "get the !@#$ out of my face"....Sherman is saying that is what prompted his post-game tirade...he was caught up in the emotion, they are competitors, etc etc...I think Sherman should have given Crabtree the same consideration...he just had his the fate of his teams' season knocked from his hands... Sherman actually had about 10 minutes to compose himself for his interview...Crabtree had about 3 seconds. Also, Sherman was all "I am the greatest" after the Saints game, even busted into one his teammates interviews to let everyone know...realizing what he had done, and how boorish he was looking, he reeled himself in and started heaping praise on the teammate who was being interviewed. Not a sin, not a crime, it will happen again, somewhere along the way...not a big deal. I guess what gets me is how many people think this behavior is "awesome"!

a simple "agreed on all fronts" here.

Ditto

It's called decorum, professionalism or "treat others as you would want to be treated"...if that is acceptable at the professional level, where do you draw the line?? College it's ok but not HS? HS it's ok but not Pee-Wees? That's my problem with it...it starts at the top and will be a new way of interacting adopted by those who look up to Sherman (or any other player who "calls out" an opponent after a victory). If this is deemed acceptable (which in your mind it is) then professional sports are going through a gradual shift from "Look at our team" to "Look at me". I'm not saying he's the only one pointing to the name on his jersey or folding his arms after a sack...but this was a public declaration that he single handedly dominated a player to win the game. It's too bad - in my opinion.

I apologize for taking so long to answer this, I am dealing with a sick and grieving wife at hope - that's a tough combo!

Professional sports isn't going through a gradual shift to look at me it has already shifted. There is a celebration where a player points 2 thumbs at his shoulder pads. That is a look at the name on the back celebration. How many wide receivers celebrate every single first down catch they make? What about Kap mocking Cam Newton's td celebration - how many pages did that thread get? Was there even one?

As for Pros are role models I agree to an extent. Every moment can be a teachable one. To some parents this behavior is unacceptable so it is a conversation to be had with your kid. I have zero problem with anything he said. I ask again what is the worst thing he said? That Crabtree is a mediocre receiver? That he is the best cb in the game? What specifically did he say that is so upsetting.

The worst part about that interview is I knew many would get their panties in a bunch. In the age of everyone gets a trophy Sherman might have hurt Crabtree's feelings :rolleyes: . This is a game yes but it is so much more to these players. They many times liken it to a battle or war (their words not mine). It is a true test to them of their manhood. Who is the biggest, baddest, strongest, fastest, etc.. out there. This is their job and there are literally millions of dollars on the line. So he got a little loud and boisterous big deal.

I like how this thread is about Richard Sherman's racist detractors instead of Richard Sherman's behavior.

It's amazing that people are ready to defend Sherman's behavior but are quick to call or suggest that other people they've never met or personally spoken to are racists based on what they believe is a racist code word.

I have only responded a few times but I haven't once mentioned anything about anyone being racist. I don't think that has as much to do with the outcry as the wussification of America. A bunch of people are mad at Richard Sherman because he might have hurt Crabtree's feelings. Why are sports interviews so boring and filled with cliches? Anytime someone dares say anything the media and public jump all over them. Why are Marrone's pressers filled with obviously and you knows? So he can have time to make sure what he says won't be able to be taken the wrong way and blown out of proportion. Remember his "blowup" about the injury report in preseason?

I apologize for taking so long to answer this, I am dealing with a sick and grieving wife at hope - that's a tough combo!

Professional sports isn't going through a gradual shift to look at me it has already shifted. There is a celebration where a player points 2 thumbs at his shoulder pads. That is a look at the name on the back celebration. How many wide receivers celebrate every single first down catch they make? What about Kap mocking Cam Newton's td celebration - how many pages did that thread get? Was there even one?

As for Pros are role models I agree to an extent. Every moment can be a teachable one. To some parents this behavior is unacceptable so it is a conversation to be had with your kid. I have zero problem with anything he said. I ask again what is the worst thing he said? That Crabtree is a mediocre receiver? That he is the best cb in the game? What specifically did he say that is so upsetting.

The worst part about that interview is I knew many would get their panties in a bunch. In the age of everyone gets a trophy Sherman might have hurt Crabtree's feelings :rolleyes: . This is a game yes but it is so much more to these players. They many times liken it to a battle or war (their words not mine). It is a true test to them of their manhood. Who is the biggest, baddest, strongest, fastest, etc.. out there. This is their job and there are literally millions of dollars on the line. So he got a little loud and boisterous big deal.

I have only responded a few times but I haven't once mentioned anything about anyone being racist. I don't think that has as much to do with the outcry as the wussification of America. A bunch of people are mad at Richard Sherman because he might have hurt Crabtree's feelings. Why are sports interviews so boring and filled with cliches? Anytime someone dares say anything the media and public jump all over them. Why are Marrone's pressers filled with obviously and you knows? So he can have time to make sure what he says won't be able to be taken the wrong way and blown out of proportion. Remember his "blowup" about the injury report in preseason?

I think you are mistaken about why people dislike Sherman's behavior. It has nothing to do with hurting Crabtree's feelings.

And you may not have said anything about racism but it's been alluded to several times in this thread.