Richard Sherman post game -- 'nuff said!

cage

If it were as easy As you suggest, there would be zero need for db coaches, or even schemes, at the NFL level. It's all about man to man, who's fastest and biggest, do I have this right?

Or even the weight room as you are born with it or you aren't - no hard work or dedication needed.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were as easy As you suggest, there would be zero need for db coaches, or even schemes, at the NFL level. It's all about man to man, who's fastest and biggest, do I have this right?

Don't bother man.

It's all about speed. Makes you wonder why Bolt wasn't given a 100m contract to play DB yet. Or how TJ Graham can suck so much.

Tom Brady cusses and screams at the refs when he doesn't get the call his way. He is constantly seen throwing fits and pouting on the sideline. But he's just "passionate about winning."

I would just love for Sherman's critics to show some consistency.

It goes beyond size/speed/strength. Ya, that counts too obviously, but you need all of it: football smarts, instincts, speed, strength, agility, work ethic, dedication. You disregard that and say "anyone can simply run with a WR". No, anyone can't.

Still LMAO. The OVERRIDING factors are size, speed, strength, & agility, with SIZE being the MOST IMPORTANT of those four; there's really no logical argument against that. QBs who come out of HS with absolutely great, record breaking careers (in HS) get passed over by major colleges 99% of the time, because they are "too small." I know this firsthand, as it happened to a relative of mine.

There are millions and millions of people who would be able to develop the "football smarts" and "instincts" that you mention (for most positions). Those are learned with just a little bit of experience. Virtually all males who start playing football from an early age develop those skills, but they don't develop the size and strength needed to play at the top levels.

Now, I will say that there are certain positions in football that require more practice and more "work" than others, and those are pretty obvious (QBs, Kickers, receivers who need to catch the football). Pretty much everyone else is successful because of their size or speed or strength or agility or some combination of those. DBs and Safeties definitely fall into the latter category.

Tom Brady cusses and screams at the refs when he doesn't get the call his way. He is constantly seen throwing fits and pouting on the sideline. But he's just "passionate about winning."

Apples and oranges...you're comparing Sherman to a woman. Big difference.

You, like many others are missing the point...what happens on the field "between the lines" (as Sherman himself explains) is fair game...nobody is really complaining, or even commenting on his actions on the field...Sherman even issued an aplology today, and he seems to now get it. Turning the question "Can you walk us through the winning play" being answered with "I am the best corner in the NFL...don't talk about me!" is taking what should be a great moment for his team, and turing into, yet another "all about me" moment. He did the same thing the previous week after the Saints game, much less dramatically. Brady us a whiner, complainer, etc etc, and I don't think anyone here is saying otherwise...but Brady, as much an a-hole as he might be, has never/would never carry on after a game like Sherman did. There is nothing inconsitent about it.

Apples and oranges...you're comparing Sherman to a woman. Big difference.

Ha ha! :lol:

Yeah, there's an awful lot of "work" and practice involved with running with, and staying as close as you can, to another guy running down the field. And it really takes a lot of deep thinking to determine when to turn your head back and look for the ball. *Rolls Eyes*

Or maybe, just like a lot of positions In the NFL, the overriding factor is purely physical. The average size guy in this country is 5'9".....how many 5'9" guys are there in the NFL?

I am 6'2 225. By your standard, I should be a starting CB in the NFL. The best part is I won't even have to work at it! Anyone have Whaley's #?

I am 6'2 225. By your standard, I should be a starting CB in the NFL. The best part is I won't even have to work at it! Anyone have Whaley's #?

Same here, looks like the Bills secondary is about to get some big upgrades on the cheap this off season. All we need is JBoys to join us.

For those of you who refuse to give Sherman any respect for his work ethic and think he is just having success off of natural ability PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch this video and then tell me what you think. If you don't change your mind after this, then you have no credibility as a football fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbQGlO0B5nY#t=6m54s

Pretty much. You can talk all day about whether it was passionate and real, or whether it's yet another easy way to yet again wag the racism finger at someone, but as someone who has been watching football for over 40 years, he sounded like a fool. Yes, I know...he's a shutdown corner and went to Harvard and did all these amazing things, but plenty of idiots went to Harvard, and plenty of other people went to lesser schools and don't find it necessary to act like such a fool.

But hey...it helps pass the time until the SB I suppose.

For those of you who refuse to give Sherman any respect for his work ethic and think he is just having success off of natural ability PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch this video and then tell me what you think. If you don't change your mind after this, then you have no credibility as a football fan

https://www.youtube....lO0B5nY#t=6m54s

Great video. I don't think anyone is questioning his work ethic...just that he sounded like a self centered punk after the win. Other than that, yes, he is a talent. (and before anyone points the racist finger at me, I call my meathead yellow lab a punk when he chews my socks, deal with it!!)

Pretty much. You can talk all day about whether it was passionate and real, or whether it's yet another easy way to yet again wag the racism finger at someone, but as someone who has been watching football for over 40 years, he sounded like a fool. Yes, I know...he's a shutdown corner and went to Harvard and did all these amazing things, but plenty of idiots went to Harvard, and plenty of other people went to lesser schools and don't find it necessary to act like such a fool.

But hey...it helps pass the time until the SB I suppose.

I would think someone north of 28K posts here would know Sherman went to Stanford, not Harvard.

In my post I was referring to John in Jax as he was refusing to give this kid any credit, saying that he's only good because he's 6'3, and how hard is it to just run down the field with another guy, blah, blah, blah :rolleyes: Okayyyy buddy

OK, just watched it. He appears to be outside the norm, with all of the extra film study he does, but I don't really know that for sure....IOW, I don't know how many other DBs/Safeties in the NFL study film like he does. What's funny is in the first minute of the piece, he utters some words which I have on MY resume, pertaining to me in my career field....those words are "meticulous" and "attention to detail." LOL But of course, you still have to have the SIZE, strength, & speed, to do what he does; I DON'T have any of those. Again, millions of males who just watch football games (and the various highlight/analysis shows) closely every week could know exactly what he knows about certain tendencies of QBs, receivers, etc. I get that he's a great player, and like I said, he appears to go above and beyond to be good at his craft...that's great. But even HE AGREES WITH ME in that he said in the piece that some guys just get by, or play the game, on their athleticism ALONE.

Another funny thing was when they showed from scenes during training camp, when he was mic'ed up, and he was trying to teach some teammates a thing or two....it was pretty obvious that HIS knowledge of what was going on was WAY above those other guys, as the other guys didn't seem to even know what he was talking about!

Finally, regarding the user in here who said he's 6'3" & 225: I am curious if he started playing organized football when he was little (around age 10, like I did), then continued on in middle school, and then HS? And was he 6'3" & 225 in HS? And in HS, did he hit the weight room, to tone up and get strong? Did he have a DESIRE to play football at a higher level (college & beyond)? My point is that size ALONE will normally not bring you success in any sport, but it IS a requirement for many sports. An example is if you're 6'5" and weigh 395 lbs., and you're not fat, but you are muscular, you'd have a real good head start on being a defensive lineman then 99% of the people out in public.

OK, just watched it. He appears to be outside the norm, with all of the extra film study he does, but I don't really know that for sure....IOW, I don't know how many other DBs/Safeties in the NFL study film like he does. What's funny is in the first minute of the piece, he utters some words which I have on MY resume, pertaining to me in my career field....those words are "meticulous" and "attention to detail." LOL But of course, you still have to have the SIZE, strength, & speed, to do what he does; I DON'T have any of those. Again, millions of males who just watch football games (and the various highlight/analysis shows) closely every week could know exactly what he knows about certain tendencies of QBs, receivers, etc. I get that he's a great player, and like I said, he appears to go above and beyond to be good at his craft...that's great. But even HE AGREES WITH ME in that he said in the piece that some guys just get by, or play the game, on their athleticism ALONE.

Another funny thing was when they showed from scenes during training camp, when he was mic'ed up, and he was trying to teach some teammates a thing or two....it was pretty obvious that HIS knowledge of what was going on was WAY above those other guys, as the other guys didn't seem to even know what he was talking about!

Finally, regarding the user in here who said he's 6'3" & 225: I am curious if he started playing organized football when he was little (around age 10, like I did), then continued on in middle school, and then HS? And was he 6'3" & 225 in HS? And in HS, did he hit the weight room, to tone up and get strong? Did he have a DESIRE to play football at a higher level (college & beyond)? My point is that size ALONE will normally not bring you success in any sport, but it IS a requirement for many sports. An example is if you're 6'5" and weigh 395 lbs., and you're not fat, but you are muscular, you'd have a real good head start on being a defensive lineman then 99% of the people out in public.

you definitely have to clear standards both mentally and physically - and ill give you, the mental side isnt as high for a lot of guys. a lot of these guys succeed because they do have some freak genetic advantage (longer arms, or bigger hands, or in this case sherman being 6'3 and fluid through the hips to turn and run being a rarity at that size and why many corners are shorter).

your first post definitely came across as size and speed being the only factor. they are HUGE, and will disqualify a lot of people, but theres a lot of other things that can go with it.

It's hilarious how people toss around the word thug. Are the hockey players who fought a second into the game "thugs"? Sherman is a thug because he's loud and annoying? That's beyond ignorant and there are definitely racial overtunes.

Personally, I can't stand Sherman. I think loud people tend to be insecure. But to call him a thug is just as ignorant as he was in his interview.