Andre Reed Elected into the Pro Football HOF

Doesn't matter if he was convicted. Did Barry Bonds ever admit to using steroids, why isn't he in the HOF. This is a popularity contest, and people need to like him to vote for him. What happened is likely enough to turn some off, particually since it's his first year. Not voting for him in year #1 is kind of making a statement that your actions hurt you and this is my way of sticking it to you.

Being convicted comes into play say if the league tried to suspend him when it happened, (don't recall what did happen on that end) or other similar things It's very dificult to take any kind of legal actions agaisnt someone without any convictions, but easy to say I'm not voting for you.

Football writers aren’t the same as baseball writers. Many wouldn’t be in the HOF if football writers voted like baseball writers. Nobody will be all that concerned with what Marvin might have done. He’s a free man, never been indicted or convicted.

Edited by purple haze

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not worried about Irvin ... Was talking about Reed's playoff performances as a whole.

On top of all that, numbers should only be a part of it.

To the Eye test of all who watched him , Reed (and Rice) basically invented the term Run after Catch. There was no Wr better over the middle as well, and possibly none better in cold weather.

As for Reed's playoff numbers: between 1988 and 1993, he played a full season exactly--16 games. In those 16 games, he had 75 catches for 1,117 yards and 7 TDs. That's almost exactly his average in his 5 year peak of 75 catches for 1050 yards and 7.2 TDs.

Interestingly, Reed and Irvin's playoff performances mirror their 5 year performance peaks almost exactly, and not surprisingly Irvin had better numbers. Lined up side by side, Irvin had slightly better aggregate numbers in 13 games (74 catches for 1,158 yards and 8 TDs) than Reed had in 16 games. Prorated, Irvin (91 receptions/1425 yards/10 TDs) was measurably more productive.

Edited by dave mcbride

By this reasoning, Chris Carter did not deserve to be elected in last year, nor many many others.

I guess Tim Brown shouldn't get in also, along with Andre ?

Correct. Chris Carter has no business being in the Hall of Fame.

Don’t forget, Irvin’s career ended prematurely due to that neck injury…

Win what? It’s a TEAM game. For instance, by your standard Barry Sanders shouldn’t be in either. Lions never won jack and only went to the playoffs a couple times w/Barry in the backfield.

Incorrect. Read the post.

Baseball stat guys who focus on the HOF look at two things - overall stats and a player's top five year window for WAR. There is no WAR in the NFL, but given how injuries impact player longevity in the NFL, I love the idea of the elite five year window. Here is Reed vs. Michael Irvin:

Reed: 1988-1992 (his best run; he had only one top level season after this, in 1994 plus a solid one in 1996):

376 receptions for 5251 yards and 36 TDs.

That works out to an average yearly total of 75 receptions, 1050 yards, a 14.0 ypc average, and 7.2 TDs per season.

Irvin: 1991-1995 (he had a couple of good seasons after this, but his career was cut short by injury; he also missed most of the 1989 season because of injury):

449 receptions for 7093 yards and 38 TDs.

That works out to an average yearly total of 90 receptions, 1,419 yards, a 15.8 ypc average, and 7.6 TDs per season.

That's a significant difference, and it's not as if Irvin didn't play on a run-heavy team. Basically, at his peak, he was a better -- and definitely more feared -- player than Reed. His five-year average of 1,419 yps average in that span is over 50 yards higher than Reed ever achieved in one season in his entire 16-year career.

Reed was a very, very good player with a couple of great seasons, but he wasn't elite. He did, however, play for a very long time and was productive from his rookie season onward. That early production pads the overall totals although he wasn't a great player in his first couple of seasons (there was simply no one else to throw to on the Bills). Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith were elite. Reed was akin to Bennett, another excellent player who had a terrific career.

I don't think he deserves to go into the HOF, but I will be happy if he does.

the stats broken up year over year as well as the comparisons hold so much weight.

Andre wasn't feared. The Bills offense was.

What's funny is how much his stat line and okay ability is like Stevie's.

As for Reed's playoff numbers: between 1988 and 1993, he played a full season exactly--16 games. In those 16 games, he had 75 catches for 1,117 yards and 7 TDs. That's almost exactly his average in his 5 year peak of 75 catches for 1050 yards and 7.2 TDs.

Interestingly, Reed and Irvin's playoff performances mirror their 5 year performance peaks almost exactly, and not surprisingly Irvin had better numbers. Lined up side by side, Irvin had slightly better aggregate numbers in 13 games (74 catches for 1,158 yards and 8 TDs) than Reed had in 16 games. Prorated, Irvin (91 receptions/1425 yards/10 TDs) was measurably more productive.

Thanks for the info...

Again though 1- I'm not concerned w/ Irvin and 2- Football is not baseball. Reed was the primary receiving threat on a ferrari of an offense that ran more than it passed and played likely more bad weather games than any other team. The numbers are fun but it's clear watching Reed play (whether you lived it or just watching highlights) that he was dominant in a large number of games over his career, and was the best run after catch guy of his time not named Rice.

Thanks for the info...

Again though 1- I'm not concerned w/ Irvin and 2- Football is not baseball. Reed was the primary receiving threat on a ferrari of an offense that ran more than it passed and played likely more bad weather games than any other team. The numbers are fun but it's clear watching Reed play (whether you lived it or just watching highlights) that he was dominant in a large number of games over his career, and was the best run after catch guy of his time not named Rice.

Reed was a terrific player -- no doubt about that. I'm not sure about the RAC claim, however. That's often asserted, but there were some other very good receivers around at that time not named Rice.

Incidentally, regardless of stats, Reed was a better player than Tim Brown. Brown dropped a ton of passes throughout his career -- more than most good receivers.

Reed was a terrific player -- no doubt about that. I'm not sure about the RAC claim, however. That's often asserted, but there were some other very good receivers around at that time not named Rice.

Incidentally, regardless of stats, Reed was a better player than Tim Brown. Brown dropped a ton of passes throughout his career -- more than most good receivers.

i feel like the general sentiment, not just among bills fans, is that reed is ahead of brown - not sure if anyone else has feedback from their corners of the nfl map?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

11th all time in catches, 12th all time in rec TDs, and 13th all time in rec yards. That's a Hall of Famer.

edit - crap, just looked at Brown and Harrison and they are both better all time than Dre in all 3 categories. Hopefully Dre's seniority carries the day.

Edited by Thurmal34

Looks like they will announce the Hall of Fame class during the NFL Honors on NFL Network at 10pmEST/7pmPST.

That's very late.

The honors show is at 8pm on fox actually. nfl network is doing a commentarty and red carpet show before and after the honors show. The HOF class will be announced by 10