My pre-combine draft thoughts, how about yours

simpleman

There's no chance of that happening at #9. The changing rules of the NFL have made DBs of lesser importance than OL, WR, DL, TE, QB... ect

The only way any NFL team picks a safety THAT high is if they have an embarrassment of riches at almost every other position.

I pray that you're right. I'm happy with our DBs. Maybe adding one safety for depth and competition, but not with our first pick. I have confidence that AW, searcy and Duke can be a decent threesome. And if we being back Byrd or Leonard, we won't need a safety at all. Meeks might even be an option. Maybe adding a CB to compete with brooks for the 4th CB. I'm fine with Gilmore, leodis and Robey as our top 3 cbs.

I hope we draft 2 OL, LB, TE, WR, QB with our first 6 picks (in no particular order as long as the OL is addressed). Always hoping to trade down along the way and pick up extra picks.

While I prefer to upgrade the offense early in the draft, CJ Mosley is a guy I'd be happy with (if Barr and Mack are OTB). Other than the 3 LBs, Sammy Watkins or marquise lee would be fine with me. As would a host of OL if we were able to trade down. Amaro/ebron/sefarian-Jenkins also make sense. Oline and firepower to go with one LB. and if Manziel was there, unlikely, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I don't like his persona, but I think he fun to watch and is better than Ej.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly disagree. In the new NFL, the Safety position is critical. They need to help cover Graham and Gronkowski, to be able to run with the speed WRs, to diagnose, and offer run support. Every team would draft Eric Berry top 10 if given that option

In today's NFL It's about moving towards arena football, it's more about scoring points than stopping them from scoring. Yes, having a great safety would be great. But you first need to have your QB, your offensive line and your set of targets in place.

I'd flip out if they drafted a safety (who is not going to be rated anywhere near #9) before an offensive line or WR/TE widely rated as one of the top 10 players in the draft.

I strongly disagree. In the new NFL, the Safety position is critical. They need to help cover Graham and Gronkowski, to be able to run with the speed WRs, to diagnose, and offer run support. Every team would draft Eric Berry top 10 if given that option

Who's the Eric berry in this draft? Clinton-Dix? I think he's good, but Berry is on another level IMO.

In today's NFL It's about moving towards arena football, it's more about scoring points than stopping them from scoring. Yes, having a great safety would be great. But you first need to have your QB, your offensive line and your set of targets in place.

I'd flip out if they drafted a safety (who is not going to be rated anywhere near #9) before an offensive line or WR/TE widely rated as one of the top 10 players in the draft.

We're on the same page this year sir!

I agree with just about everything the OP has offered, except for the opinions on Manziel. I just don't see an NFL QB there in his combo of style of play and size. He is Brees' size, of course, but he isn't nearly the kind of pocket passer that Brees was coming out of college.

I'd be happy to trade that pick to someone who wants to take the risk if he falls to us at 9.

I agree with just about everything the OP has offered, except for the opinions on Manziel. I just don't see an NFL QB there in his combo of style of play and size. He is Brees' size, of course, but he isn't nearly the kind of pocket passer that Brees was coming out of college.

I'd be happy to trade that pick to someone who wants to take the risk if he falls to us at 9.

He won't get out of the 1st 4 picks. Houston, Jax, and Cleveland will all take QBs IMO. I think that it goes Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles in tht order.

He won't get out of the 1st 4 picks. Houston, Jax, and Cleveland will all take QBs IMO. I think that it goes Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles in tht order.

They could each take QBs, this is for sure. Cleveland is said to be high on Manziel, but they could just be high on drugs the way they are running their team. The good thing is that if QBs fly off the board, other talent will be there at 9. If they don't, the Bills could potentially have a very valuable trade chip at 9. Only Bridgewater really appeals to me at the top of the draft; I'd take my chances with Boyd or Murray falling for a QB pick in the first couple of days.

Select a big WR in the 3rd. Or in the 4th. To fill the hole that Da’ Rick might have filled.

If or no other reason, I am glad this guy is done because I hate seeing this guys stupid first name. Anyone whose parents gave them that idiotic a name should be shot!

This country needs a naming committee so parent can't harm their children before they can defend themselves.

Edited by KRT88

I'm with most posters on the thought that if we trade down and Cyril Richardson is there the Bills have to take him. My dream would be trading down to a team wanting Sammy Watkins and grabbing ASJ then Cyril in whatever order. Think ASJ will drop in the draft because of teams falling in love with the size/speed combo with Ebron and Amaro, could see ASJ in the early second round. Having a good blocking TE who's also a receiving threat is also big on the O-Line's performance if they can seal the edge. I wouldn't be upset with CJ Mosley or Watkins though if the Bills were to stay put. Mosley had a pretty good game against the Sooners last night, as a run stuffing LB he looks flat out dominate, shreds blockers like a pro. Louis Nix would THRILL me if he were in the second round as well.

Please remember that on this date last year most of the major sports media publications had Geno Smith projected to go number 1 overall. Several also had Matt Barkley and Tyler Wilson (!) going in the top 15. You could look it up. We really don't know much at this point.

This.

I guess people have to fantasize about something but it's too early for any predictions to be remotely accurate, IMO.

You may not want to pick OTs early but several GMs in the league always do in every draft. That's the difference between a guy who is paid to select players, in fact, his job depends on selecting good players, and the guy who watches TV from his easy chair while snacking on beer and chips.

Then there are the draftniks and so-called media draft experts, most of who have very little basis for their status as experts.

I'm going to throw this out there and I'm sure it has been discussed before, but don't be surprised if we take Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix / S / Alabama with our 1st.

Surely you must be kidding?

Wouldn't surprise me. The Bills are typically behind league trends by a few years and know by now that having a large WR or more athletic TE is what most good offenses have. Besides, they've invested in a first round pick and need to provide him more weapons if he's going to succeed. I think this team goes offense in round 1, as they did last year.

Sounds good to me.

The Bills are on the cusp of great things. I would like to see them continue to stockpile defense with attacking players, and to fortify our lines and dominate the line of scrimmage.

This sounds good too.

I know some disagree with me but I think the talent level on the roster is good enough that the Bills can put more weight on BPA than need.

Would like to see a similar move to last year, when we traded down. Perhaps the Cardinals, who are in need of a quarterback, would swap picks 9 and 20 with us in exchange for their second-round pick. Then with pick 20 we take an OL...perhaps Zack Martin of Notre Dame.

No, I'm serious. Clinton-Dix could remind Whaley of a Polamalu type player. Flies all over the field, hits people in the mouth, and can cover. I'm not saying he would be MY CHOICE, but I could see it happen especially if he shows well in all the predraft activities.

No, I'm serious. Clinton-Dix could remind Whaley of a Polamalu type player. Flies all over the field, hits people in the mouth, and can cover. I'm not saying he would be MY CHOICE, but I could see it happen especially if he shows well in all the predraft activities.

I was just alluding to his first name being Ha-Ha.

:D

Has anyone seen any of the WR that won the Biletnikoff, Brandin Cooks. I can't remember even seeing a highlight of him until the awards show. Any good?

Small but could be a stud. He is what we expected from roscoe Parrish.

If or no other reason, I am glad this guy is done because I hate seeing this guys stupid first name. Anyone whose parents gave them that idiotic a name should be shot!

This country needs a naming committee so parent can't harm their children before they can defend themselves.

What's your purpose? That was probably the most juvenile thing I have ever seen on this board. If its not an intellectual addition to the topic. Keep it to yourself.

The Bills are in a good position to fill one of several needs with that #9 pick. I would not be upset to see Buffalo take an OT, a LBer, a WR, and lets face facts. QB's and OT's really climb up the draft boards the closer it gets to April. Who the Bills select will depend on who is still on the board.

A true #1 WR Mike Evans, 6'5'' 225lbs or WR Sammy Watkins 6'0'' 205. Evens being compared to Vincent Jackson

An OT Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan, but both these players could be gone by 9, so Cyrus kouandjio of Alabama 6'6'' 322

A LBer Khalil Mack 6'3'' 248, CJ Mosley 6'2'' 232

Should the Bills go WR or LBer in the first, then Cyril Richardson G / OT Baylor 6'5'' 335 or Gabe Jackson 6'3'' 335

Cyril Richardson will not make it to round two. I have nightmares that a number of really dumb GMs pass on him and he falls to Beilcheat near the end of rd.1

Have you ever seem Antonio Richardson play or is he a name you plucked off of some draftnick's board. You may not want to pick OTs early but several GMs in the league always do in every draft. That's the difference between a guy who is paid to select players, in fact, his job depends on selecting good players, and the guy who watches TV from his easy chair while snacking on beer and chips.

Okay, we get you hate Richardson. Based on his strong points and the needs of the Bills I felt he was a best possible fit based on availability in the late first or early 2nd rounds. I never claimed he was a sure fire, top shelf superstar. You name a OL player who reasonably will be available in the late 1st or early 2nd that is strong on 'road grading ' for the runner and protecting the passer. He has the arms, the skills and the physical gifts to do what the Bills need.

I don’t see a Zack Martin, Cyril Richardson, Jake Matthews or a Cyrus Kouandjio being there at that point. You are into the 2nd tier talent at that point. The whole idea is to trade back and get more quality picks in the first 3 rounds to fill multiple holes,rather than put all your hopes on a single superstar player who may or may not develop.

I honestly didnt think our OL was that bad once Brown was cut and replaced. It was great sure, but we were one of the best running teams in the league. I attribute most of our pass blocking issues to QB play - not making the correct calls and not getting the ball to an open receiver on time.

That said: yes I want to replace Legursky, then Pears, and eventually even Urbik. But I think a 2nd or 3rd round G this year, maybe a FA T or G, is the way to go.

A top 10 right tackle wont help this team as much as a stud WR will at this point.

Well, you can't open any holes on offense or fill any on defense, so I'd say draft a WR or DB.

We were 2nd in the NFL in rushing with 144 yrds/game, despite bad QB play. I'd love to know what we ranked in yards/rush, I'm not sure how to find it however, I believe we opened up holes for our running game just fine.

As I stated, I think the problem mainly lies with our QB(s).

Edited by peterpan

I really don't think the FO is NOT going to go QB,TE, or WR @ #9. If we draft offense it will be OL. I'm going to throw this out there and I'm sure it has been discussed before, but don't be surprised if we take Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix / S / Alabama with our 1st. It would probably be hated just as much as Lil Donte, but he seems like a guy that would be high on Whaley's radar.

I have an idea. Lets put talk about drafting Clinton-Dix on the shelf until we know that we can't resign Byrd.

I always prefer to trade back and get more picks. The Bills saw first hand how great that can work out for you last year.

For the sake of discussion, what positions are so top heavy and thin, where you would consider not trading back?

Im going to go with WR, like Mike Evans or Watkins, and QB (assuming we would even want to draft another one).

All other positions, like LB, OL, TE, seem to have enough depth where you could get back into the 20s and still draft a stud.

Well, you can't open any holes on offense or fill any on defense, so I'd say draft a WR or DB.

Noted...And believe me I'm picking up on the sarcasm... ;)

Nonetheless I tend to concentrate more on what the Bills will do rather than what I think they should do. Because at the end of the day what any of us fans think they should do is really of no consequence...They're going to do what they're going to do...

I think Chris Brown's comments on WGR the other morning were right in line with what I fully expect the Bills to do...He said the 2013 Draft was about getting the QB of the future, and the 2014 Draft is going to be about surrounding that QB with as much talent as they can to make him successful...Brown said he has personally overhead Whaley during games comment on the need to have a physical mismatch as a receiver...And I think there is going to be a couple guys available early in this Draft that fit that need pretty well...I think Whaley is envisioning a player like Mike Evans, Eric Ebron (TE), or Kelvin Benjamin (if he declares) to fill out the receiving corps...I also think the Bills will look to add one key player along the O-Line fairly early...

That does not mean they won't address the needs on Defense...But I would expect them to make a move like the one they did with Lawson last year and bring in another Vet to plug in rather than spending a high Draft pick on an LB...Unless of course they can work a trade down again to grab an extra pick... B-)

I have an idea. Lets put talk about drafting Clinton-Dix on the shelf until we know that we can't resign Byrd.

The Bills used a 4th and a 5th Round pick last year on 2 Safeties...They're not going to Draft one high even if they do lose Byrd...They will expect one of those two to start in place of Byrd if he's gone, then they will likely Draft another in the mid rounds... B-)

Okay, we get you hate Richardson. Based on his strong points and the needs of the Bills I felt he was a best possible fit based on availability in the late first or early 2nd rounds. I never claimed he was a sure fire, top shelf superstar. You name a OL player who reasonably will be available in the late 1st or early 2nd that is strong on 'road grading ' for the runner and protecting the passer. He has the arms, the skills and the physical gifts to do what the Bills need.

I don’t see a Zack Martin, Cyril Richardson, Jake Matthews or a Cyrus Kouandjio being there at that point. You are into the 2nd tier talent at that point. The whole idea is to trade back and get more quality picks in the first 3 rounds to fill multiple holes,rather than put all your hopes on a single superstar player who may or may not develop.

I don't hate Antonio Richardson. I just don't thing he should be ranked with the best O-linemen in the upcoming draft. As a point of reference, NFL Draft Scout ranks Richardson as the 51st player which puts him at the bottom of round two. I think chances are good he goes in the 3rd. Who are O-linemen that should be there late in the 1st or early in the 2nd? Travis Swanson, Arkansas, Gabe Jackson, Miss. St., Yankey, Stanford.

With the combine Feb 18-25, draft May 8-10, lots of time to evaluate the talent ,sign FA starting Mar 11 and know if Byrd will sign here or we can tag and trade him .

Edited by ALF

At #9, it just doesn't make sense to add a LB who will only see the field about 40-50% of the d snaps vs a starting RT or #1/#2 WR who will play 100% of the o snaps or a #1 TE who will play 75-85%. Return on investment is much better adding the offensive player vs a #2 LB. Would be a different story if Kiko wasn't around or they didn't play nickel/dime/3 safeties as much as the bills do.

Agree with other posters who suggest the bills will address the need at LB later in the draft or via a moderate free agency signing (ala Lawson).

I believe in the 2nd year of the scheme the run D will be significantly improved with very little changes required (new run stopping LB referenced above, retain Byrd, and just better discipline and tackling).

Bills need to be aggressive in free agency and fill some needs (LB, at least one guard, tackle if possible) so they can take the harder to find guys in the draft (big WR with skill, athletic TE).

If Jake Matthews is there, he would be a solid pick. He'll be a solid, maybe pro-bowl linemen for a decade. He could compete at LG, LT or RT immediately and long term play one of the tackle positions.

Watching Sammy Watkins last night, it's tempting to want him. Hageman would be a good fit in the defense, versatile and might push Dareus after what he did late in the season.

It will be interesting to see how Mike Evans works out. Jarvis Landry could be a good fit to take over for Stevie if they trade or release him, but want to see how big he is and works out.

Also, watching Marcus Lucas (Mizzou) last night, he could be a late round pick that could be a big target over the middle like a M.Colston. Exactly what EJ needs.

We've got to give EJ 20+ starts before we say he's the guy or not. He should improve a lot over the next year or two.

We need WR + LB + OL but I think our biggest need at #9 overall is WR.

WR

It has become obvious that Stevie Johnson is a good WR and a nice guy, but not a #1 WR.

More often than not, when it was clutch time... Stevie would get a dumb penalty, drop passes or turn the ball over.

Sorry to say... it was rare that he came up big, and not often enough to compensate for the more frequent mistakes.

LB

We also need another stud linebacker to help stop the run... we found our Kuechly in round 2 last year. If there is another one this year, we'd grab him early, but I think a big WR is a more glaring need. Maybe we can strike gold again in round 2/3. Also, our problem on defense was that our offense wasn't scoring enough points. I also think our D surprised some people this year, which may mean we can get some good vet FA's to address some needs.

OL

It seems like Whaley likes to find other teams castoffs for OL... that's why unless a stud falls, I think we'll more likely plug holes at OL and go for playmakers in the draft early.

Edited by symbiant

I don't hate Antonio Richardson. I just don't thing he should be ranked with the best O-linemen in the upcoming draft. As a point of reference, NFL Draft Scout ranks Richardson as the 51st player which puts him at the bottom of round two. I think chances are good he goes in the 3rd. Who are O-linemen that should be there late in the 1st or early in the 2nd? Travis Swanson, Arkansas, Gabe Jackson, Miss. St., Yankey, Stanford.

I don't know much about Yankey, I will have to watch him at the combine. I thought Swanson was a center.

This....is a "Bizzaro World" draft year for me.

1. I want to get an elite WR/TE, or, (more likely) trade down. :o

The reason? Unless we can get a Megatron-type WR/TE in RD1, at our spot, the type of players we need, in terms of position, are all typically late 1st, early 2nd round picks. Putting as many picks as we can in that range should do nicely...we don't need to be in the top 10, but, good thing we are, because somebody is going to want that extra year(5 year contracts for top 10 picks), and trade up to us to get it.

2. I want to draft O line, and I'd like to see at least 3/5 of our top picks used on them. :o

This should be obvious. Hairston is good, but will he be back? We need G, period. We may end up cutting Urbik. :o What I'd like to see here is a guy that can play T, so he can push the Ts....but who can also play G. This way, if he beats out one of the Ts, good, if he's the backup, good, if he's a good guard, good. I don't see how "guard specialization" trumps, versatile O line player.

Perfet scenario = we can trade down to ~15-20, and get the best G in the draft. Then with our extra 2nd, we can get a tackle, and use ours to get the best TE/WR/LB on the board.

3. I don't want to see DB until the 4th. :o :o

Man was I wrong about Robey! :o...or....Man did Robey improve his game from the preseason. :lol: In fact, I am convinced our DBs are good, and they are great with Byrd. This has become a strength on the team(amazing what happens when you finally realize you play in a passing league, with Tom Brady in your division, and act accordingly. Suddenly you don't get blown out anymore, and are in every game until the end, because you can actually cover NFL WRs. Amazing what happens to your sack totals too.... :rolleyes:) Thus, I'm willing to roll the dice on this, because I don't think we'll be as injured as we were this past year. It has to be better, right?

All of this is due to the fact that for the first time in a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time...we don't have any REAL holes on this team. Can we get better at some spots? Of course. That's always true.

This difference is: we aren't counting on every player in the draft class to be an immediate starter, now, or we are screwed :wallbash: We aren't counting on our 5th round pick to be an All-Pro(Kyle Williams), nor are we counting on our 7th round pick to be the #1 WR(Stevie)

We have some wiggle room finally, because we have our skill positions well covered.

Again, EJ is a ?.

A ? is not a -. Therefore, we should not pretend that this year = last year in terms of QB.

I hear the LB thing...but I don't agree at all.

One thing we should take away from this Defense under Pettine? Jerry Hughes looks like an All-Pro, but Jerry Hughes was heading out of football before the trade. Not taking anything away from him, he could have chosen not to work as hard, or sulk, and not take advantage of the new opportunity here, and then he would be out of football, but he didn't. However, if you can turn Jerry Hughes around with this schema? Or better, if the same DC could make use of Aaron Maybin in this schema?

Then why should we go out of our way for LB?

We can find the Tweener we need to play SLB, provided he is fast and can stay with a TE.....from lots of places/draft positions.

Edited by OCinBuffalo