The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

Kentucky’s Obamacare ‘Success’ . . .

by Rich Lowrey

. . . doesn’t include signing people up for private plans, according to the New York Times:

Relatively few people have signed up for private health plans offered through the state’s new online marketplace, Kynect. People earning between 138 and 400 percent of the poverty level — between about $16,000 and $47,000 for a single person — can get subsidies to help with the cost.

Even with that incentive, only about 76,000 Kentuckians signed up for these plans in 2014 and have renewed the coverage for next year. Since the enrollment period for 2015 began on Nov. 15, an additional 9,000 people have selected exchange plans. Before the new coverage options took effect, state officials estimated that some 340,000 uninsured Kentuckians could get private insurance through the exchange.

David Elson signed up for private health insurance in February, but then decided he could not afford the $350 monthly premium for a plan that included his doctors. He never paid his bill and lost his coverage. His poor health got worse, and in October, he landed in the hospital with end-stage kidney disease.

“The president gets up there and says, ‘We’ve got to get affordable health care for our people,’ ” said Mr. Elson, 61. “It’s not.”

Read the whole story, which includes some heartbreaking stories of people with serious health issues and financial problems.

UNEXPECTEDLY!........................ As Medicaid Rolls Swell, Cuts in Payments to Doctors Threaten Access to Care.

Yes, even the name of the “AFFORDABLE CARE ACT” was a calculated lie:

Obama Adviser Jonathan Gruber In 2009: Obamacare Will NOT Be Affordable. “Gruber said that Obamacare had no cost controls in it and would not be affordable in an October 2009 policy brief, presented here exclusively by TheDC. At the time, Gruber had already personally counseled Obama in the Oval Office and served on Obama’s presidential transition team. Obama, meanwhile, told the American people that their premiums would go down dramatically.”

We don't know yet, do we?

Then you're premature with your celebration.

Most likely it does.

Why? I'd be interested to know why. It's not a big deal for me seeing I moved my office and need a new doctor but what about his other patients who don't want to change?

The doctor I've used for nearly 6 years is no longer in my network. I have a PPO. I have no idea if the ACA has anything to do with this.

Could be a number of factors. Likely ones are that he did not like the PPO's reimbursement rates, or their paperwork was too onerous for his staff to deal with. They might have lowered their payments for the new year and he said buzz off. He might also be entering a concierge practice and will only see the patients in his private network. Maybe he's retiring or moving to Belize.

Could be a number of factors. Likely ones are that he did not like the PPO's reimbursement rates, or their paperwork was too onerous for his staff to deal with. They might have lowered their payments for the new year and he said buzz off. He might also be entering a concierge practice and will only see the patients in his private network. Maybe he's retiring or moving to Belize.

I'd go with the last one. He's got to be pushing 70 and ran around like crazy. And actually as far as I'm concerned no great loss. Not a bad doctor just way too busy to do a good job.

Wait a minute..............we meant for everybody else.........not us !

Health Care Fixes Backed by Harvard’s Experts Now Roil Its Faculty

WASHINGTON — For years, Harvard’s experts on health economics and policy have advised presidents and Congress on how to provide health benefits to the nation at a reasonable cost. But those remedies will now be applied to the Harvard faculty, and the professors are in an uproar.

Members of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the heart of the 378-year-old university, voted overwhelmingly in November to oppose changes that would require them and thousands of other Harvard employees to pay more for health care. The university says the increases are in part a result of the Obama administration’s Affordable Care Act, which many Harvard professors championed.

The faculty vote came too late to stop the cost increases from taking effect this month, and the anger on campus remains focused on questions that are agitating many workplaces: How should the burden of health costs be shared by employers and employees? If employees have to bear more of the cost, will they skimp on medically necessary care, curtail the use of less valuable services, or both?

More at the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/us/health-care-fixes-backed-by-harvards-experts-now-roil-its-faculty.html?_r=0

• 2 weeks later...

RICHARD EPSTEIN: ObamaCare’s Slow Death?

“The results are now clear. The Affordable Care Act has done nothing to unravel the past mistakes that in large measure were (and still are) attributable to excessive regulation and transfer payments. To give but one example, the voluntary coverage supplied by employer plans has dipped sharply from about 60 percent in 1980 to 50 percent in 2010, which on an employment base of 150 million workers translates into a 15 million increase in the number of uninsured persons in the United States. It would be very difficult indeed to attribute this decline in health care coverage to some hidden form of market failure.”

Oh, hey, did you hear the NY Times said ACA is leading to "pricing pandemonium" in insurance premiums?

http://www.telegram.com/article/20150120/NEWS/301209972/1237

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to hide the inevitable cost of "free" health care..........................

OBAMACARE TAX MESS: WHITE HOUSE TO OFFER MORE EXEMPTIONS

WASHINGTON — Obama administration officials and other supporters of the Affordable Care Act say they worry that the tax-filing season will generate new anger as uninsured consumers learn that they must pay tax penalties and as many people struggle with complex forms needed to justify tax credits they received in 2014 to pay for health insurance.

The White House has already granted some exemptions and is considering more to avoid a political firestorm.

Mark J. Mazur, the assistant Treasury secretary for tax policy, said up to six million taxpayers would have to “pay a fee this year because they made a choice not to obtain health care coverage that they could have afforded.”

But Christine Speidel, a tax lawyer at Vermont Legal Aid, said: “A lot of people do not feel that health insurance plans in the marketplace were affordable to them, even with subsidies. Some went without coverage and will therefore be subject to penalties.”

more at the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/us/politics/white-house-seeks-to-limit-health-laws-tax-troubles.html

It's a comfort to know that now every American man, woman, and child has healthcare.

Healthcare! Healthcare! It's as light and wonderful as a deep breath of mountain air.

Now that all Americans have healthcare, what other wonderful things will B. O. and his allies bring us - free guns?

It's a comfort to know that now every American man, woman, and child has healthcare.

Healthcare! Healthcare! It's as light and wonderful as a deep breath of mountain air.

Now that all Americans have healthcare, what other wonderful things will B. O. and his allies bring us - free guns?

Well, it depends on which end of the "us" continuum people find themselves. For example, if you are situated on the left side of the "us" continuum, there is lots of free stuff in the pipeline for delivery to you. If, however, you find yourself in the middle-to-right side of the "us" continuum, you're upside down because, not only aren't you getting "free stuff," you're paying for the things that are free to your countrymen persons on the left.

In keeping with that occurrence, I propose we simplify the redistribution of wealth by no longer "washing" it through the IRS. My plan is to perfect a system of direct pay that would work like this: If your taxable income is between 30k and 50k, the government will send you the address of a family deemed to be on the left side of the us continuum. You, in turn, send them 18% of your taxable income. If your taxable income is between 50k and 100k, the government will send you three addresses...you get the picture.

Clean, streamlined and could even lead to exchange of Christmas cards.