What's the magic answer?

Dorkington

Get a QB. That's it. A great QB gives you a solid and consistently good team with a winning record. Every player and coach will look better. New players will adjust more quickly. The winning atttitude will magically appear. All when you have a QB that can go toe to toe with Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers, etc.

We have to have patience, as fans. As much as it sucks to say that after all these years of sucking, but good QBs don't develop in one off season. Rookie QBs especially need to be given time to develop 3-4yrs minimum.

Now, I'm not saying give EJ time. I'm not saying draft another QB. I'm saying the FO needs to find a QB. And yes... draft a dozen guys, I don't care. Do what it takes (obviously I would hope it wouldn't take all that), bu find a guy. If the FO thinks its EJ, stick with him. If they're like alot of fans, not sure, then draft more guys. Because the bottomline in this leage is... get QB. But, we as fans have to realize that Whaley and Marrone 's careers will come down to who they settle on and how he develops in 3+ years. It sucks, but that's what it is. And until then... all the linemen, WRs, TEs, safties, waterboys, are just fluff.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ becomes a Pro-Bowl caliber QB...That's the quickest way to the Playoffs for this team as it is now...

That being said I would try to surround him with as many good players as possible at WR, TE, and on the O-Line...Then pray he comes around...At the very least the Bills would have a good amount of talent for the next QB if EJ is not the long-term answer... B-)

Last year and over the off season, many said the following changes were guaranteed to bring us more wins, and even the playoffs!

Replace Fitz - He, alone, was responsible for our offensive woes. Replacing him with a first round QB, and a solid vet would bring us success on offense. Drafted EJ, signed Kolb... and our offense has been roughly the same, and even worse in some metrics.

Fire Chan! - Chan is a softie. He's too old for the modern NFL. He doesn't know how to use his offensive weapons. Replacing him with an up and coming, no nonsense coach will result in our team being relevant. We hired some guy named Marrone... a plain spoken, package offense, no bull **** coach. Same record, maybe he needs to curse some more?

New Defensive Coordinator! - Stache was the worst. The guy before him was even worse! And the guy before that? UGH. We need a new, new guy! A guy that can get us pressure on the QB! Stop the run! In comes Pettine. Granted our defense has improved... we get more sacks and interceptions! But teams still, on average, have no real problems scoring on us. Scores are what counts, right? Or is it entertainment?

New Middle Linebacker! - Oh god, that guy last year... what was his name? Sheppard or something. Let's draft a stud! Legend of KIKO ALONSO time! Hey, also improved! Awesome! But wait... we're still 20th-ish in run defense, hm. He made a sweet leap over the pile though, that was cool.

----

Ok, that was mostly tongue in cheek. It's just frustrating that we do all the things we "needed" to do last off season, and still find ourselves at 6-10. What do we do next? Replace the cheerleaders?

Identifying the problem is only part of it. The harder part is FINDING someone better.

It was obvious that Fitz and Gailey needed to be replaced. We were headed nowhere with them. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything to suggest Marrone is a better coach than his predecessor. And the trio of Manuel, Lewis and Tuel haven't done much better than Fitz. Many would argue they have collectively played worse. Quarterback is still our biggest issue. Hopefully with Manuel only being a rookie, we haven't seen the best of his game.

I think it's obvious that Mike Pettine and Kiko Alonso have helped tremendously on defense. We are still struggling at stopping the run, true. But nowhere remotely close to as terrible as 2012. And in almost every other category, we've skyrocketed towards the top of the NFL - mostly notably #1 in sacks.

Ultimately, I look at coaching and playcalling.

See Kansas City Chiefs and Andy Reid.

It's easy to look good when you get to play a joke schedule to start the year followed by playing 2nd or 3rd string QB'S five weeks in a row. I know that you can only play the teams on your schedule, but that can sometimes create fools gold. 9-0 became 11-4 when they started playing starting QB's again... coincidence?

11-4 is still better than 6-9, and they beat us fair and square.

True. But I was just saying that they aren't all that good. What does them having a better record than us or beating us after getting manhandled by a Jeff Tuel led offense have to do with my contention that they are overrated? Do you honestly feel they are as good as their record? Please don't give coach speak ("You are what your record says you are.").

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Ultimately, I look at coaching and playcalling.

See Kansas City Chiefs and Andy Reid.

And what was the first thing Andy Reid did...he got a QB. Alex Smith may not be a top 5 QB in the league, but he's world's better than Cassel and the other guys the Chiefs had tried.

I can think of a few magic answers...

1. Replace Legursky and Pears on the offensive line. I'd spend 2 draft picks within the first four rounds on the offensive line, or spend 1 high pick and bring in a high quality free agent. Some people might disagree with me regarding Pears, but IMO he was wildly inconsistent this year. His run blocking was especially bad.

2. Bring in a legitimate #1 WR. A guy that is "open when he isn't open." Something this team has been lacking since Moulds. Mike Evans in the draft would be nice.

3. Bring in a legitimate QB coach to mentor EJ. Hackett is not that guy IMO.

4. We need to bring in a quality OLB to work with Kiko and Manny. Moats and Bradham are good back-ups/situational players...nothing more. I would like to see this done through FA so that we can draft offense, offense, offense.

5. Adding another pass catching TE would be nice, however, I personally do not see one worth drafting in the middle of the 1st.

6. Might seem like small potatoes, but we need a punter. Moorman was a band-aid (a terrible one at that), and we need a better player at that position. That said, I have tremendous respect for Moorman, and I hope he retires a Bill.

7. Find a way to adjust the offensive scheme such that CJ can get the ball in space. I realize that this has become cliche at this point, but really, it this that hard to figure out? Posts about CJ being a bust and trading him just make me sick. Most poorly utilized player in the NFL, IMO.

Very good post. I agree with all of that. And I think it wall builds on what we have done this year. It's all commons sense building stuff. I think this organisation had a good off season last year, but as dear old Buddy Nix once said "you can't fix everything at once". We fix some of the points above this off season and I think we have a real play-off shot next year, especially as I think there are signs of the Patriots coming back to the pack in the AFC East.

Name the last crappy team with a great QB.

Didn't New Orleans start the season 0-6 last year with Drew Brees?

And I suppose it depends on your definition of great...Eli Manning has 2 Superbowl MVPs under his belt, and the Giants are horrible this year.

Ditto for Matt Ryan this year.

It can certainly happen...I think the greater argument is that it's much tougher to win the Superbowl without a great QB, and next to impossible to be a perennial playoff contender without one.

Edited by thebandit27

We wait with patience for the team to develop under it's new players, coaches, and schemes, that's what. It takes time for rookie QBs to develop, an

d it takes time for teams to adjust and become comfortable with new schemes. Does anyone not think that our defense is going to be even better next year, with a full year of Pettine's scheme under their belts? They're just getting started.

Rubes you fool!

Don't you know that EJ is already a bust who will "NEVER" improve, the youth at WR is no excuse, there is a QB store where you can buy a franchise QB, if you aren't too cheap..."we are going to hold someone "accountable" just as the losers on talk radio say that we have to.

I agree with your patient view, but there are many who just don't want to wait any more and they clearly know the answer