Marcell Dareus benched for 1st qr. for habitual lateness

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A team of 53 guys, some who are millionaires. are not all going to be perfect A+ students and arrive early/leave late types. Just like at any workplace. For some that does not affect production. Marrone can't expect everyone to be like Kiko and I am sure that is why he pointed out his habits as exceptional. But that doesn't mean you cut or trade a top performer because he is late to meetings. You fine him or bench him for a qtr. You cut or trade a guy at his level who maybe gets a DUI, has drug/alcohol issues, conduct detrimental to the team, etc. This is minor stuff. JMO. The 49ers aren't cutting or trading Aldon Smith, that's for sure. You help the guy get to the place you want him to be. That's what Marrone is doing.

Aldon smith is whats wrong with the NFL.

But Dareus just needs to understand what is expected from him . ooh that word "accountable" just crept into my head again

I will not be surprised by any off season moves.

If Marrone is disciplining a player for being late than good for the team. How Dareus "rolls with it" is up to him. simply just dont be late . Would be the correct answer i suspect ?

Chris Brown is being odd stirring a pot that doesnt need to be stirred .

The Miami game showed some progress as a team .

Go Marcel !

I listened to the radio pregame too .One of the questions to the guys was about offseason upgrades , and the guys were pretty quick with a list.

I found it a bit offensive really. Brown has been a bit over the top . Someone eat his sandwich or something ?

what the hell...really??! you don't want him to report what hears/knows/sees?

the "blame the media" mentality around here is astonishing.

regarding Dareus...no one knows what the hell happened so it is stupid to pass judgment. y only comment is that i imagine marrone has been extra patient with Dareus, ans he is one of the few guys on the roster with big time talent....whether he ever realizes it or not is another issue, but the guy is a stud, and you don''t just pick on guys like that without GOOD reason.

Edited by jester43

what the hell...really??! you don't want him to report what hears/knows/sees?

the "blame the media" mentality around here is astonishing.

regarding Dareus...no one knows what the hell happened so it is stupid to pass judgment. y only comment is that i imagine marrone has been extra patient with Dareus, ans he is one of the few guys on the roster with big time talent....whether he ever realizes it or not is another issue, but the guy is a stud, and you don''t just pick on guys like that without GOOD reason.

Chris Brown is a mouth piece . I like the fellow well enough but this one seems a little puffed up to me. In regard to the heads will roll thing.

i am hardly blaming anyone . I just see what i see and i certainly dont know the facts .

And i am a Mr Big stuff fan no doubt. But he pissed some one off.

Edited by 3rdand12

Jimmy Johnson once said:

"I can't be writing what the rules are because my rules vary from player to player... In Dallas we had a linebacker named John Roper who got cut for falling asleep in a meeting. If Troy Aikman fell asleep in a meeting, I'd go over and whisper, `Wake up, Troy.' "

I suspect that given the season that Dareus has had he's already gotten a lot of leeway for whatever has been going on.

Edited by vincec

I think its good what Marrone did. Trying to say its was one time or didnt happen it putting your head in the sand. This lackadaisical attitude that its no biggie is what has to change to take this team to the next level. Same thing with SJ and hey it was just the first quarter when that happened attitude. But what do I know. Im sure Tom Coughlin and Belichick and their rings would let it slide.

I like the message it sent...he didn't pick on a Rookie and yet Dareus isn't exactly what I would call a "Vet" yet, as to me a vet is someone with six or seven years in the league. I like that he took a guy who CAN perform at a high level and addressed it appropriately. He didn't scold him publicly, he didn't fine him in dollars that makes no sense, and he didn't berate him in front of players. He took a quiet, yet effective means to communicate that being a professional means showing up to meetings on time...like at any other job.

Someone mentioned Marrone is taking some risks and I agree but it is needed. I think it is similar to early Belichick who had to establish control in the beginning. Because he wins no one complains about it but he is definitely in control. As much as I can't stand him he is a great coach. Look how he is winning this year with plenty of adversity. It's because he LEADS a TEAM. Marrone can't get there if he doesn't try to establish himself. If it doesn't translate into wins he'll just be another Williams but...

Everyone responds to different motivation and Dareus just might need a kick in the rear more routinely. As far as surprises I am 90% sure Stevie Johnson is the one that's gone and a perfect example of the me first player who makes mistakes at the wrong time. We can lose without him but can't win with him.

Obviously Marcell doesn't figure the Bill have anything worth listening to at their meetings. And if you watch the Bills play you can see he has a valid point. If I was him I wouldn't show up late, I wouldn't show up at all. Why waste your time listening to some clowns who are in over their heads trying to compete in the NFL.

Edited by littlelouie

Don't know what happened to the guy, but maybe the lifestyle went to his head. Who knows, but I don't remember this stuff happening last year with Gailey at the helm. Perhaps it was happening but nothing leaked out.

I can see Dareus traded in the offseason for a mid round pick. The gifts of Nix that keep on giving.