Marcell Dareus benched for 1st qr. for habitual lateness

@JoeBuscaglia: According to a league source, the #Bills benched Marcell Dareus in the 1st quarter for tardiness. Described to me as being "habitually late"

@JoeBuscaglia: The tardiness has been an ongoing thing with team meetings throughout the year, according to the source.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems to me like his head isn't in the game as much as some players. However, he is having one hell of a season...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever it was this quote by Dareus from Tim Graham's twitter doesnt make me feel good.

"It's not really nothing important," Dareus said. "It's just a quarter. I just missed a quarter. It's a team issue.

Depends on what happened.

Frankly, if Dareus was 5 minutes late a couple of times, then gimme a break. I work with people and clients that are always running 5 minutes late to meetings and calls. Not a federal offense.

Frankly, if Dareus was 5 minutes late a couple of times, then gimme a break. I work with people and clients that are always running 5 minutes late to meetings and calls. Not a federal offense.

Not a federal offense, but chronic lateness is a pet peeve because it usually indicates a lack of respect and accountability. Especially seeing as it's a problem that can be fixed by simply giving yourself a 15-minute cushion to account for unexpected happenings.

I think we all know a guy or gal like that..."Alarm didn't go off. Traffic was terrible. Had to walk my dog. Late night yesterday." Nope. If you cared to arrive on time, you'd arrive on time.

I suspect it's worse than that--for the reason you mention, namely that it would be an overreaction to something like that. I'd guess that it's more likely being perpetually late even after being spoken to and warned about it....

Whatever it was this quote by Dareus from Tim Graham's twitter doesnt make me feel good.

"It's not really nothing important," Dareus said. "It's just a quarter. I just missed a quarter. It's a team issue.

By the way, this is all the quotes from the Buffalo News article. Gives it a whole different context. He seemed to show remorse for whatever he did.

-----------

Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus sat out the first quarter as punishment for breaking an unspecified team rule this week.

Dareus said, “It was probably one of the hardest quarters I’ve ever played,” because, well, he didn’t.

Dareus stood on the sideline in a rain coat and stocking cap until the second quarter began. He played the rest of the way, recording three tackles and a quarterback hit.

Neither Dareus nor Bills coach Doug Marrone would reveal why the punishment was warranted.

“It’s not really nothing important,” Dareus said. “It’s just a quarter. I just missed a quarter. It’s a team issue.

“You suffer the consequences, roll along with them, do the best you can.”

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

FWIW Thurman tweeted this was inaccurate and WGR needs to check its source

I will take WGR over Thurman on this issue. Joe B over Thurman by a slight edge, only because it's Thurman. I mean, neither are Pat Moran.

@JoeBuscaglia: According to a league source, the #Bills benched Marcell Dareus in the 1st quarter for tardiness. Described to me as being "habitually late"

@JoeBuscaglia: The tardiness has been an ongoing thing with team meetings throughout the year, according to the source.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems to me like his head isn't in the game as much as some players. However, he is having one hell of a season...

I am not worried about Dareus. I am wondering if Marrone is trying to set up an example by laying in to one of the big boys. It could backfire if Marrone loses any traction in the locker room

Again, I really don't care about this because Dareus is good enough I am not going to worry about such a minor issue. I believe it occurred because we are one game away from the off season and Marrone wants to make sure his players know he is going to be all business this offseason, too. That just because it's the end of the year, balblablablabla...

If this has been a problem all year then why did it take until this week to do something about it

Maybe the coach isn't the uncaring, egomaniacal idiot that some think?

We don't and won't know the specifics. The tweet mentions ongoing. Is that once a month? Once every 6 weeks? Don't know, therefore I don't think we can say whether the punishment fits the crime or not.

Wow the passive aggressive statements, knives and barbs come out...for Dareus...he's " fat, overweight", "its a result of Coach Saban".....but he "has an upside"..wow guys a player sat out a quarter and then played well, we squished the Fish, pitched a defensive shutout...We lead the league in sacks, the HC is making an accountability statement...whatever...Love all of my fellow Bills fans but wake up and smell the win baby... and Merry Christmas to every one of you

Sad because he still has upside. It's an insult to his teammates also.

I doubt his teammates are insulted though.

I bet they think of him as a big, goofy kid who has to grow up.

I'm not making excuses for Dareus but again remember that he was a 20 year old rookie. Even in his 3rd season, he's young. In fact he and EJ Manuel were born 6 days apart.

Fat and lazy, shocker

However he has been really good this year. He could be a great one

Fat and lazy? How do you know this?

Maybe the coach isn't the uncaring, egomaniacal idiot that some think?

That was one of the all-time stupidest narratives this board has ever seen. We have zero idea what's going on behind the scenes but Marrone's being criticized for being a ruthless dictator.

With zero evidence and in fact, lots of evidence to the contrary.

Right on SJ Bills fan...just don't understand the need to pile drive on a guy who has been productive ,,,we will probably never know all the facts that led to the 1st quarter absence and that"s a good thing..Marrone promised that players wouldnt have to hear these team issues in the press...keeping it in house means just that.