What is your EJ Manuel Confidence Level?

Beerball

Overall: 50% with a strong upward trend.

Intangibles: 100%

Arm strength: 100%

Mechanics, upper body: 100%

Mechanics, lower body: FUBAR. It's almost as though two different people were created in some weird science project gone awry.

It sucks that his rookie year has been curtailed by missing so many snaps due to injury. But I've seen enough glimpses to want to see him with more experience under his belt.

GO BILLS!!!

This is good for me. But I am really worried about the injuries. Sometimes the injuries come in bunches and then they seem to stop happening. I hope that is the case for EJ.

Have to give him another year, and decide this spring if you want to draft somebody else or get a vet for insurance. Or both. And you have to decide if this new guy, Thad, or Tuel are good enough with the premise that EJ may turn out to be injury prone so your backup had better be somebody you have confidence in.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't necessarily an indictment of EJ or the front office. Made sense to roll the dice on him-- but from what I have seen so far, too many mechanics issues, trentative issues, injury issues, pocket presence issues, making the right read issues, accuracy issues to place a lot of hope in the future.

Although my confidence level is higher than yours, I have to admit your concerns are fair.

It would be interesting to know the direction they would have taken if they had not identified EJ as their guy and rolled the dice. Do they take Warmack? Thus meaning they couldn't trade back and get that extra pick. We got one of the top five players in the draft (IMO) with that pick. We took Woods before Kiko so maybe they still take Woods and we don't get Kiko. Then they probably don't take Goodwin in the 3rd without addressing MLB or QB. Who knows what would have happened. Hell, we could have ended up with Geno. Terrifying.

Question for everyone. If EJ doesn't pan out, would you still consider this draft a success? Would you give back the pieces we got in this draft to go back and not draft EJ.

15%

Cons:

Ability to scan the field, throw the deep ball, stay healthy, his footwork and accuracy on 3rd downs.

Pros:

Scrambling ability. Size. I like the kids persona and work ethic.

I wish I could say I love what I've seen, but I can't. Don't even like what I've seen. The fact that he has 3 sprained knees that has caused him to miss games over the course of ONE season is scary. Up til this last sprained knee, I would've been ok if we don't draft a QB in the first 3 rounds next season. At this point, I think we must. 3 sprained knees in less than 4 months? Eh

IF EJ Manuel can't get the uniform on and play, then he is no good to the Buffalo Bills. He is as important to the Bills future as Kevin Kolb (yes a bit of a dramatic statement.)

The point being Fast Forward to December 2014. The Bills need a win against a division opponent to make the playoffs (Guess what the NFL scheduling purposely back loads division games). EJ is banged up (its football everyone is banged up in December), Wouldn't be nice if EJ had the opportunity to step up in December of 2013 and knock the Dolphins out of the playoffs when he was banged, and now you know this isn't his first rodeo in a meaningful game late in December with playoff hopes on the line?

This experience is priceless for EJ.

with respect sir i had to jump in right there.

wouldn't be it be prudent to have him to see how its done first ? like he and Hackett have ever been in that situation. He is NO position to carry the team at this point and exacerbating the delicate condition fandom sees the Bills in right now might be better left alone.

I have rethought this call by Marrone. I hate the loss of reps for the kid . But i think he was not healthy when he came back and just has not improved his knee issues. It probably worse than WE think .

Thats the only reason to not start him and i think it is probably better to err on his long term health than develop his killer instinct , or his man up training.

My confidence that he will lead the Bills to a playoff berth next year = 10%

My confidence level that he will be a top 16 QB next year by the end of the year if he starts next season = less than 10%

My confidence level that he could become an above average QB in about 4 more years if he had a good quality veteran to learn from for the next few years = 60%.

I would prefer if the Bills could find (somewhere) a decent veteran at least as good as Fitz was to come lead this team for the next 2 years while we still have the defense in place to be a playoff caliber football team.

My confidence that he will lead the Bills to a playoff berth next year = 10%

My confidence level that he will be a top 16 QB next year by the end of the year if he starts next season = less than 10%

My confidence level that he could become an above average QB in about 4 more years if he had a good quality veteran to learn from for the next few years = 60%.

I would prefer if the Bills could find (somewhere) a decent veteran at least as good as Fitz was to come lead this team for the next 2 years while we still have the defense in place to be a playoff caliber football team.

You may be right. I think we actually should "commit to mediocrity" if we get the chance right now. We aren't winning the super bowl any time soon. I'd gladly upgrade everything else via draft and sign an average QB. This is a serious opinion btw....and I usually hate the idea of this. With this franchise...and this current team being halfway decent...making a wildcard with a mediocre QB once or twice would be amazing.

Edited by SameOldBills

with respect sir i had to jump in right there.

wouldn't be it be prudent to have him to see how its done first ? like he and Hackett have ever been in that situation. He is NO position to carry the team at this point and exacerbating the delicate condition fandom sees the Bills in right now might be better left alone.

I have rethought this call by Marrone. I hate the loss of reps for the kid . But i think he was not healthy when he came back and just has not improved his knee issues. It probably worse than WE think .

Thats the only reason to not start him and i think it is probably better to err on his long term health than develop his killer instinct , or his man up training.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. However you can not replicate a game with playoffs on the line. Watching Thad Lewis from the booth isn't going to help Manuel's development anymore than watching game film of Thad Lewis on Monday.

You have to learn to play when you're hurt. You'll always be hurt.

I really don't think he is injured.

Mine is somewhere around 30-40%. I wish I could say he looks like he'll be the guy to lead this team for years to come, but I have not seen the progress that I'd like.

Major obstacles for me are his lack of awareness (to real or imagined pressure) in the pocket and his reaction to that pressure, his unwillingness to use the middle of the field, his propensity to try to guide the ball, his footwork, his accuracy and his inability to stay healthy.

Where is your EJMCL?

This pretty much sums it up. He gets next season and we go from there. Focus on getting a giant WR with our first pick and then an LG and lets see what the kid can do with a season and full off season under his belt, little-to-no progress....not the guy

My EJMCL is 60%, although this latest knee injury has me concerned.

I think Manuel has the intangibles. He's very poised and looks and acts like a leader.

His mechanics are good, but he has to get better. The two important things he has to work on is to stop checking down if the 1st option is not open. He does this far too much. He also at times appears to over-think plays, which leads to him throwing bad passes.

He can get better and I hope he does.

Now my confidence in Nathaniel Hackett as an offensive coordinator is at 25%, and I'm being generous. To me this is the bigger issue with our offense.