What is your EJ Manuel Confidence Level?

Beerball

EJ and Alex Smith tested similar athletically. There is a perception among those that don't watch him regularly to think that Smith isn't an outstanding athlete but he is a big, quick footed, fast and super-smart dude. You could nearly flip their combine results and pertinent measurements. Smith had an off-the-charts wonderlic of 40. They both entered the NFL looking very raw. All those smarts and all of that athletic ability didn't make Smith better in just a couple of seasons. EJ has a laundry list of issues to improve as did Smith. There are a lot of apologists on here who are simply expecting him to come out next season and be a completely different QB and I think what we have seen this year..........in this age of passer friendly football.........suggests that EJ probably needs a lot of seasoning. Perhaps many years.

Smith was #1 overall pick and threw 1 td and 11 ints as rookie. Manuel has threw 11 tds to 9 ints (4 in one game). Oh wait, I forgot stats don't count.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly disagree. If the assertion is that the team needs better QB play, that's one thing; if it's that the team needs someone else in order to get better QB play, that's totally different.

what if both statements are true ?

#1 - the team needs better QB play - TRUE (almost everyone agrees)

#2 - the team needs someone else in order to get better QB play - TRUE (but not everyone agrees on EJ's upside, i say EJ going from 27th to 20th will be his peak, which i keep saying isn't good enough. Top 10 is good enough to me.)

Edited by papazoid

what if both statements are true ?

#1 - the team needs better QB play - TRUE (almost everyone agrees)

#2 - the team needs someone else in order to get better QB play - TRUE (but not everyone agrees on EJ's upside, i say EJ going from 27th to 20th will be his peak, which i keep saying isn't good enough. Top 10 is good enough to me.)

That's what I was asking you--if you thought it was 1 or 2. Obviously, statement 2 requires statement 1 to be true.

I agree with statement #1; I do not agree with statement #2.

I'd say about 50%. Half of me thinks he could become a player like Big Ben (a lot of ppl in Pittsburgh were saying he was a game manager, etc. after his first year), but the other half thinks he is an injury prone player whose ceiling is Andy Dalton mediocrity.

I'd say about 50%. Half of me thinks he could become a player like Big Ben (a lot of ppl in Pittsburgh were saying he was a game manager, etc. after his first year), but the other half thinks he is an injury prone player whose ceiling is Andy Dalton mediocrity.

For a guy who taken a crap franchise like the Bengals to the playoffs all 3 years of his career, Dalton sure gets a lot of crap. It's solely based on his hair color. That's racist.

I'm pretty disappointed he's not playing. I would have loved to see him in a divisional game and see if he can put 2 good games together. however in the big scheme of things, it's pretty meaningless. EJ will have a full offseason as the QB. Use a few picks to upgrade the talent around him. IF next year he continues to struggle with injuries/ consistency, it will be time to move on.

I disagree on the Big Scheme of Things. In the Big Scheme of things you need to strap it on and come hard on Divisional game. A divisional game that is very important to the entire AFC. This is not a meaningless game. The Dolphins can get the 6th seed if they win out and knock the Defending Super Bowl Champions out of the playoffs.

If you're a franchise QB you get out there and you win the last home game in a playoff game (For the dolphins.) In the Big Scheme of Things two extra weeks isn't going to help heal any faster for OTAs.

I disagree on the Big Scheme of Things. In the Big Scheme of things you need to strap it on and come hard on Divisional game. A divisional game that is very important to the entire AFC. This is not a meaningless game. The Dolphins can get the 6th seed if they win out and knock the Defending Super Bowl Champions out of the playoffs.

If you're a franchise QB you get out there and you win the last home game in a playoff game (For the dolphins.) In the Big Scheme of Things two extra weeks isn't going to help heal any faster for OTAs.

Sounds like he's being held out by the staff--I can't fault EJ for not going out there if that's the case.

Now, if they left it up to him, and he decided not to play, then yes, I agree with that.

Aaron Rodgers is probably sitting out his 5th game in a row and they are in a playoff hunt. Trust me, EJ was my biggest reason for getting excited about this game. But if really worth seriously getting him hurt long term for a 5-9 team? I can guarantee you if he was up to him, he's try to play. You have to save the player from himself and think long term.

Why would we risk our own assets for the good of other team's?

That's what I was asking you--if you thought it was 1 or 2. Obviously, statement 2 requires statement 1 to be true.

I agree with statement #1; I do not agree with statement #2.

The Statement was :

we need someone better for 2014.

I thought you were splitting hairs on the type of person. As in a nice guy, good family man etc.

You were just clarifying if he met someone other than EJ.

I don't see how that statement could mean anything other than someone other than EJ.

The Statement was :

we need someone better for 2014.

I thought you were splitting hairs on the type of person. As in a nice guy, good family man etc.

You were just clarifying if he met someone other than EJ.

I don't see how that statement could mean anything other than someone other than EJ.

Neither do I; I just didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Why would we risk our own assets for the good of other team's?

Everyone game is a risk.

There is a term "Battle Hardened". The Dolphins are playing for their playoff life. You can't put EJ Manuel in a better position to gain much needed experience than Week 15 home against the Dolphins in a game that the Dolphins are going to bring everything to win. This is much different than a nice cushy home opening weekend against the Panthers.

For the long term development of EJ Manuel and the improvement of the Buffalo Bills you need to get him out there and gain the experience. You can not recreate this situation in OTA, Pre-Season, or nice comfy September home opener games. This is a playoff game for the Dolphins and the Buffalo Bills have the opportunity to step and act like its a playoff game for them as well, or they can act like perennial losers and just pack it in for next year.

Everyone game is a risk.

There is a term "Battle Hardened". The Dolphins are playing for their playoff life. You can't put EJ Manuel in a better position to gain much needed experience than Week 15 home against the Dolphins in a game that the Dolphins are going to bring everything to win. This is much different than a nice cushy home opening weekend against the Panthers.

For the long term development of EJ Manuel and the improvement of the Buffalo Bills you need to get him out there and gain the experience. You can not recreate this situation in OTA, Pre-Season, or nice comfy September home opener games. This is a playoff game for the Dolphins and the Buffalo Bills have the opportunity to step and act like its a playoff game for them as well, or they can act like perennial losers and just pack it in for next year.

I think you just hate Miami and want to mess up for the playoffs for them which I totally respect! :thumbsup: The idea of that team being in the playoffs freaking sucks. I loved for the Bills to knock them out. It'd be an early Christmas gift.

But ask yourself. Is the risk really worth the reward? So we knock Miami out but EJ makes his knee much worse like RG3. At least RG3 did that in a playoff game.

Mine is somewhere around 30-40%. I wish I could say he looks like he'll be the guy to lead this team for years to come, but I have not seen the progress that I'd like.

Major obstacles for me are his lack of awareness (to real or imagined pressure) in the pocket and his reaction to that pressure, his unwillingness to use the middle of the field, his propensity to try to guide the ball, his footwork, his accuracy and his inability to stay healthy.

Where is your EJMCL?

pretty much covered it all.

But ask yourself. Is the risk really worth the reward? So we knock Miami out but EJ makes his knee much worse like RG3. At least RG3 did that in a playoff game.

Maybe next year we sit him for last 3 games for "health" reasons :lol:

You have to learn to win games and command. I have hardly seen EJ do that in his rookie season.

In fact, I haven't seen only two QB's on this team win more than three games in a row since 2000

The Bills are BAD! But, I have faith they will turn it around.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I think you just hate Miami and want to mess up for the playoffs for them which I totally respect! :thumbsup: The idea of that team being in the playoffs freaking sucks. I loved for the Bills to knock them out. It'd be an early Christmas gift.

IF EJ Manuel can't get the uniform on and play, then he is no good to the Buffalo Bills. He is as important to the Bills future as Kevin Kolb (yes a bit of a dramatic statement.)

The point being Fast Forward to December 2014. The Bills need a win against a division opponent to make the playoffs (Guess what the NFL scheduling purposely back loads division games). EJ is banged up (its football everyone is banged up in December), Wouldn't be nice if EJ had the opportunity to step up in December of 2013 and knock the Dolphins out of the playoffs when he was banged, and now you know this isn't his first rodeo in a meaningful game late in December with playoff hopes on the line?

This experience is priceless for EJ.