Lewis to start / Manuel out

26CornerBlitz

If Marrone feels the way you say he does, that says a lot.

Again TBC, this is a hunch. But I can see us winning this football game with our defense and Lewis. NE doesn't have a great defense, and our strength is our defensive line, as well as our defensive coordinator. I would not be surprised if the Bills front hits Brady several times.

I would LOVE to see Thad take off and run and I predict that he will. He does this better at this than EJ who imo waits too long to decide.

Yes, I am psyched about this game!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thad for the Win !

Marrone was obviously learning to play the "questionable " game with Billy. Same with the announcement that Thad has a rib thing.

Coach Doug will get the hang of it after a couple seasons and some analytics. No seriously

You gotta think that EJ is being protected by the coaching staff. NE playing for a possible home field advantage through the playoffs is going to be pretty invincible. Throwing EJ in there and watching him get beaten up is only going to fuel talk of him being a bust. The problem with that mentality is the perception that others on the team will think EJ is being favorably treated. If he his healthy he should go - rise or fall with the team. By all accounts that's what he wants to do. Why this staff is protecting him is beyond me. Let the guy play.

Now, to prevent others on the board from near certain attacks to follow. THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION WHEN LOOKING AT MARONE'S OWN COMMENTS AND THE FACTS AND CIRCUMSTANCES AS THEY PRESENT THEMSELVES.

Edited by davspo

How many first round quarterbacks picked in the last 10 years have missed significant time in their first full season (declared starter at the beginning of the season)?

Please give me some names, because a mobile QB like Manuel having THREE different periods of time out due to knee injury is leaning bust, which is a shame because he has flashes of brilliance. This is most certainly the worst case scenario if this trend continues in 2014, and we certainly do NOT need an RGIII-like situation here. I am distressed to see him not able to play this Sunday.

To add, a lot of players are probably playing hurt, and if they are protecting him, then it just flies in the face of this win the game mentality in a bad season. It says that Manuel is different than everyone else, which I HOPE is not true.

Edited by BmoreBills

Again TBC, this is a hunch. But I can see us winning this football game with our defense and Lewis. NE doesn't have a great defense, and our strength is our defensive line, as well as our defensive coordinator. I would not be surprised if the Bills front hits Brady several times.

I would LOVE to see Thad take off and run and I predict that he will. He does this better at this than EJ who imo waits too long to decide.

Yes, I am psyched about this game!!!!!!!

Agree with everything.

I meant more so that more faith in Thad means the QB search continues.

110% chance that it's on like a mofo!

:lol:

What I don't understand about this knee - both times it came up lame, he didn't look like he was hurt during the game, nothing is said after the game, and we find out a day or two later...........How does that even happen?

How about the obvious... that EJM's knee is not 100%, and the game has no implications for the Bills, so the right thing to do is start the healthy guy (Lewis)? Marrone likely thinks a healthy Lewis gives a better chance to win than EJM with a bum knee. Not a huge leap there. The grassy knoll theories about "protecting" EJM from the inevitable loss, etc are comical. So are the posts that TL gives us some kind of better chance to win than if a healthy EJM were to start. We are not yet good enough to win this game at Foxborough because we would have to do nearly everything right. This team is not there yet. Weak special teams, erratic run defense, and penalties will do us in yet again vs Pats. TL or EJ starting right now gives us about the same chance to win. So EJM needs to get much better, and I doubt TL is capable of getting much better.

:lol:

What I don't understand about this knee - both times it came up lame, he didn't look like he was hurt during the game, nothing is said after the game, and we find out a day or two later...........How does that even happen?

My guess is it is an aggravation of the previous injury. Nothing apparent during the game, then swelling afterward. Sounds like the same injury flaring up again. Sprains have a tendency to do that, as players rarely miss enough games for it to heal completely. The season is too short. Probably won't be fully healed until the offseason.

How about the obvious... that EJM's knee is not 100%, and the game has no implications for the Bills, so the right thing to do is start the healthy guy (Lewis)? Marrone likely thinks a healthy Lewis gives a better chance to win than EJM with a bum knee. Not a huge leap there. The grassy knoll theories about "protecting" EJM from the inevitable loss, etc are comical. So are the posts that TL gives us some kind of better chance to win than if a healthy EJM were to start. We are not yet good enough to win this game at Foxborough because we would have to do nearly everything right. This team is not there yet. Weak special teams, erratic run defense, and penalties will do us in yet again vs Pats. TL or EJ starting right now gives us about the same chance to win. So EJM needs to get much better, and I doubt TL is capable of getting much better.

My guess is it is an aggravation of the previous injury. Nothing apparent during the game, then swelling afterward. Sounds like the same injury flaring up again. Sprains have a tendency to do that, as players rarely miss enough games for it to heal completely. The season is too short. Probably won't be fully healed until the offseason.

You are missing the point. It is not about resting someone who is hurt. It is about putting the player on the field with the best chance of winning, period. Coach feels that right now. Sometimes we over complicate things with an abundance of speculation. Sometimes you just make a decision and then move forward. Simple.

Because it is a Bills board and not every poster here sucks up to every move that the Bills make be it good or bad. Some of us don't even freak about sportswriters who do not say that our team is great. Some even dare to think it is ok to complain about no playoffs for 14 years.

I for one am glad that Lewis is starting. To take it a step further, I think that the Bills can actually win this football game.

Who irks you more, the Patriots or Bills Fans?

Lol. It's always entertaining to read people describing me as some Bills suck up because I won't grab my pitchfork and torch and join the rest of the peasants storming the castle.

I guess I am a party poop. I come in with reason and sanity and ruin the fun of a good old fashioned fan freak out. I guess that is what TBD exists for now. Not a place to discuss football and the Bills but rather a place to gnash teeth and howl about every little thing, real or invented.

PTR

I guess I am a party poop. I come in with reason and sanity and ruin the fun of a good old fashioned fan freak out. I guess that is what TBD exists for now. Not a place to discuss football and the Bills but rather a place to gnash teeth and howl about every little thing, real or invented.

PTR

Well, considering that Tampa Bay, Cleveland, St. Louis, Arizona, Cincinnati, Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland, and more have all made the playoffs since 1999, and for REALISM that slaps you in the face the Saints, Buccaneers, Ravens twice, and the Rams all have won Super Bowls (the pathetic franchises of ages past and a NEW one) some of us actually are fed up by this circus act at QB and want the coaching carousel to stop. We have reasons to gnash teeth as you put it, but to play "realist" by continually refusing to recognize pitiful coaching and play isn't smart either.

You are missing the point. It is not about resting someone who is hurt. It is about putting the player on the field with the best chance of winning, period. Coach feels that right now. Sometimes we over complicate things with an abundance of speculation. Sometimes you just make a decision and then move forward. Simple.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your argument...my understanding of the situation is that EJ isn't at a level of health that Marrone wants to see for him to play this game, thus Lewis is starting.

If you're implying that Lewis is in because the staff thinks he's the better player, well, that's not accurate.

Well, considering that Tampa Bay, Cleveland, St. Louis, Arizona, Cincinnati, Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland, and more have all made the playoffs since 1999, and for REALISM that slaps you in the face the Saints, Buccaneers, Ravens twice, and the Rams all have won Super Bowls (the pathetic franchises of ages past and a NEW one) some of us actually are fed up by this circus act at QB and want the coaching carousel to stop. We have reasons to gnash teeth as you put it, but to play "realist" by continually refusing to recognize pitiful coaching and play isn't smart either.

So what are you saying? Complaining will make the Bills better? The Bills cleaned house and drafted a QB like everyone wanted. But because we didn't make the playoffs you want to blow it all up again?

I say calm down and let the team do it's job. Are the Bills not noticeably better? Do we not have 3 pro bowlers and probably more before they are done?

Please don't play the 14 year no playoffs card with this regime. They are on year one.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This. There is no conspiracy... EJ didn't show he had the mobility with the knee to effectively run the offense. It involves a lot of read option. Why play him... maybe if his backup was someone who had never taken a snap and wans't ready, it would be different. But that's not the case here. Plus it is supposed to be torrential rain. Just throw Thad out there. You wouldn't accurately "learn" anything additional about him anyway as the potential franchise QB by watching EJ play on a bum knee in a rainstorm.

@ChrisBrownBills

EJ lobbied coach to play Sunday http://wp.me/plmrg-9tx

@buffalobills

Marrone: No surgery will be required for EJ Manuel's LCL injury. Rest and offseason strength training.

He must have listened to Mike Schopp on WGR who kept saying the EJ needed to be "banging down Marrone's door" to play. Yeah right - he probably has never listened to that show... but regardless Marrone made the right call.

You've missed the point. This is about a guy who is healthy vs one that is not. EJM's knee has been a problem, why risk it in this game? Get another look at Thad vs a division opponent on the road to see if he is a capable backup going forward. Simple. Always a manufactured controversy here...

He must have listened to Mike Schopp on WGR who kept saying the EJ needed to be "banging down Marrone's door" to play. Yeah right - he probably has never listened to that show... but regardless Marrone made the right call.

EJ's smart enough to know what happens if Lewis beats the Pats and has even a decent game.

EJ's smart enough to know what happens if Lewis beats the Pats and has even a decent game.

I like how it's "if Lewis beats the Pats* as if he could single-handedly will the Bills to victory. I imagine if Manuel were starting and somehow won, it would surely be due to the defense, the big punt return, etc, blah,blah.blah. EJ wanting to play is to be expected. A decent game by TL means nothing. EJ had a "decent" game vs NE in week one. An excellent game + a Bills win with Lewis? By all means have TL at least compete for the job next year. Any Bills fan that has watched the last 12 years or so of games at Foxborough knows the chances of TL doing this are practically non-existent. It's barely worth mentioning as a possibility.

the bills are only noticeably better on defense (Pro Bowlers kyle williams, mario & byrd. with Dareus and kiko likely alternates).

on offense the passing game got worse (which is hard to do). 2012 Fitzpatrick played BETTER than 2013 EJ Manuel (that is sad).

the Bills are still in need of a Franchise QB in 2014. waiting til 2015 is a mistake.

the bills are only noticeably better on defense (Pro Bowlers kyle williams, mario & byrd. with Dareus and kiko likely alternates).

on offense the passing game got worse (which is hard to do). 2012 Fitzpatrick played BETTER than 2013 EJ Manuel (that is sad).

the Bills are still in need of a Franchise QB in 2014. waiting til 2015 is a mistake.

Fitz in 2012 was a seasoned veteran with several seasons in the same offense and largely the same WR's. That his numbers would be better than a rookie is hardly surprising. We knew that Fitz was not good enough. The thought is that EJM could eventually be much better than Fitz. It was not likely to be in year 1. I doubt any "franchise" QB's will hit the FA market in 2014. If none do, you must continue on with EJM. That is what you are signing up for when you take a 1st round QB. Not just a one season look-see. !st round picks are far too valuable for that.

Fitz in 2012 was a seasoned veteran with several seasons in the same offense and largely the same WR's. That his numbers would be better than a rookie is hardly surprising. We knew that Fitz was not good enough. The thought is that EJM could eventually be much better than Fitz. It was not likely to be in year 1. I doubt any "franchise" QB's will hit the FA market in 2014. If none do, you must continue on with EJM. That is what you are signing up for when you take a 1st round QB. Not just a one season look-see. !st round picks are far too valuable for that.

fyi....the 2013 Fitzpatrick(on a new team) is playing better than the 2013 EJ Manuel (so sad).

2013 Passer rating:

#40- Ryan Fitzpatrick

#50 - Thad Lewis

#51 - EJ Manuel

EJ MANUEL will be lucky to crack the Top 20. he will NEVER be a Franchise QB.