Lewis to start / Manuel out

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole signing of Kolb was a joke because Kolb wasn't even as good as Fitzpatrick who we all know wasn't taking the Bills to a Superbowl. Fitzpatrick walks and the Bills replace him with a less talented, highly injury prone quarterback (Kolb) claiming that it is an open competition. Signing Kolb was the same as signing a back up quarterback and calling it an open competition for starting. There is no way anyone in that front office believed Kolb was good enough to take the Bills to the playoffs. They aren't that stupid. Kolb was a proven bad commodity. He sucked beyond imagination the year before when he played for the Cardinals.

I am sure they did intend to have Kolb start fully well expecting him to fail 1/2 way or 3/4 of the way through the season. They they could sprinkle in EJ maybe very late in the season. Then next year would be his "rookie" year. Instead, look where we are at. Major FUBAR by front office in my opinion coming into this season with Kolb as the "supposed" starter.

I think this is a drastic over exaggeration. I will agree the QB position was mishandled, but I do not think it is beyond salvageable as you imply. They also mismanaged the OL big time.

EJ is certainly healthy enough to play (by NFL standards) so the choice to go with Thad is interesting. I was at the Miami game but just watched the replay on NFL rewind and I have to say that Thad Lewis was very impressive. Extremely decisive with the ball. Willing to make the downfield throws into tight windows, something that has eluded EJ so far this year. Now no doubt EJ is the future of this franchise, but I have to believe Marrone thinks Thad gives him his best chance to win this Sunday, and a marginal injury to EJ gives him a convenient reason to go with Thad.

EJ is certainly healthy enough to play (by NFL standards) so the choice to go with Thad is interesting. I was at the Miami game but just watched the replay on NFL rewind and I have to say that Thad Lewis was very impressive. Extremely decisive with the ball. Willing to make the downfield throws into tight windows, something that has eluded EJ so far this year. Now no doubt EJ is the future of this franchise, but I have to believe Marrone thinks Thad gives him his best chance to win this Sunday, and a marginal injury to EJ gives him a convenient reason to go with Thad.

I was also at the game, and there's no way this assessment is accurate.

TJ Graham got absolutely screwed in that game. I was focusing on him....due to the inevitable WR/trade Stevie/get somebody discussions.

TJ Graham was open. Period. On practically every play, he ran his rout perfectly. Doubly so on speed up/turn in or out type routes. His speed forces the CB to commit to it, and then he can cut the rout off to either side...which means he's auto-open.

Meanwhile, especially early in the game, and consistently throughout, Thad couldn't even come close to hitting graham, when and if he could see his rout develop.

And, that's what concerns me the most: Thad simply "progressed" away from Graham's rout over and over. He just skipped it.

"Going through your reads" means you actually have to go through them.

Thad didn't. He skipped through the ones he can't throw, and if what was left was there, he would hit it. IF not? He'd run or get sacked.

In fact, this whole "THAD IS MORE DECISIVE!" argument....is BS. Thad skips his reads, so he gets to the end of them faster than EJ. This is not what we need.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

TJ Graham got absolutely screwed in that game. I was focusing on him....due to the inevitable WR/trade Stevie/get somebody discussions.

TJ Graham was open. Period. On practically every play, he ran his rout perfectly. Doubly so on speed up/turn in or out type routes. His speed forces the CB to commit to it, and then he can cut the rout off to either side...which means he's auto-open.

Meanwhile, especially early in the game, and consistently throughout, Thad couldn't even come close to hitting graham, when and if he could see his rout develop.

And, that's what concerns me the most: Thad simply "progressed" away from Graham's rout over and over. He just skipped it.

Thad didn't. He skipped through the ones he can't throw, and if what was left was there, he would hit it. IF not? He'd run or get sacked.

In fact, this whole "THAD IS MORE DECISIVE!" crap....is BS. Thad skips his reads, so he gets to the end of them faster than EJ. This is not what we need.

2-2 against playoff teams. I'll take it over EJ.

Honestly, as someone who is still taking a "wait and see" approach to assessing EJ Manuel, and without knowing how serious his injury is, I almost feel like EJ is resting so there is no chance of us heading into the off-season with one of his not so good performances in our craw... just listening to Marrone, it sounds a bit, to me, that he is being a little too over-protective of Manuel. I find it hard to believe, if this was a meaningful game for the Bills (as in "win and we are in" type game) that Manuel wouldn't be starting this Sunday. If he was able to practice all week, and is saying he really wants to play, but Marrone is saying "his lateral movement isn't what I would like it to be, from where I am standing", then ir seems this is an upper-management/coach decision. I have no doubt that the Bills are committed to Manuel being their #1 guy next season (they are not taking a QB in the first 2 rds of the 2014 draft!), but perhaps they feel there is more risk in putting him out there and playing horribly, than there is the chance that he goes out and plays well, and beats the Pats.

EDIT: just saw post above....exactly what I think the Bills are trying to stop

Edited by Buftex

Are you the team doctor?

If so, please let me know as that is the only way I will read past what I bolded.

In fact, this whole "THAD IS MORE DECISIVE!" argument....is BS. Thad skips his reads, so he gets to the end of them faster than EJ. This is not what we need.

OC,, I am agreeing with you on EJ. And, I think you are spot on about Thad too. He doesn't make all the reads, he knows where the ball is going (or where he wants it to go)...the problem is, EJ is much the same. Where I give Thad a slight edge, he will throw that ball no matter what, whereas EJ still hesitates a bit, to make sure the guy is open. Thad is also a bit more decisive when he chooses to pull it down and run the ball.

Call me crazy, but I still feel like EJ has a big chance to improve...I don't think he has come close to meeting his potential. I like Lewis as a back-up..no denying that he adds a sort of frenetic energy to the offense...his teammates seem to respond well to him. There are times when I think Thad gets a little "too excited", which contributes to some of his accuracy issues.

EJ is certainly healthy enough to play (by NFL standards) so the choice to go with Thad is interesting.

Hmm, now that's an interesting statement. Mike Shannahan thought the same thing about RG3 after 3 weeks(EJ has had 2 weeks) of rest off the exact same injury(LCL sprain) last December.

We all know how that turned out.

There's obviously no way they are being cautious with EJ after that incident.