Interesting comments from Chris Brown

Rubes

From Fan Friday...

In response to this question...

I saw a press conference recently that Doug Marrone conducted in the aftermath of Buffalo’s 34-31 loss to Atlanta. Based on that, It seems like he is still changing the losing culture in the locker room. Earlier this week, the Bills had signed Tony Moeaki. Just wondering if this was because of the turnover suffered by Scott Chandler?

It appears to me that whoever the player is, no matter how talented they are, if they are not committed to winning (or at least if he sees it that way), he will get rid of them. Now, I have no problem with that approach, but will he over time overturn the whole roster? He had a private meeting with Stevie Johnson, ( is Stevie Johnson not committed to winning?) Is this a sign of things to come?

...came this answer:

CB: As I said on the radio earlier this week, there are roster changes on every NFL team every year, but I foresee changes here in Buffalo that will surprise some people in the offseason. This first year, Marrone has been very thorough in making assessments of the players on this roster and whether he can win with them his way.

If he feels he cannot they will not be here long term. And let me be clear in saying what can earn a player a ticket out of here sooner rather than later goes far beyond athletic ability. Work ethic, commitment to team and professionalism are all qualities that are coveted by Marrone and his staff too.

In fact in some cases lacking in one of those three areas might lead to a player dismissal (cut or traded) even if said player has the ability to help them win.

Now, I know we don't put a whole lot of stock into what CB has to say, but these are some fairly strong words coming from him. It really sounds like we'll be seeing some folks get cut this offseason we might not expect. Stevie certainly comes to mind, but it does make me wonder who else.

Oh, and also this point:

Da’Rick Rogers should’ve served as a prime example at the beginning of the season. A ton of ability, but no professionalism or commitment to team.

If players on this roster didn’t get that message then, they may end up learning the hard way.

Kind of interesting given all the goings-on in the Rogers thread.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the impression Marrone isn't as fascinated with Spiller as us fans are and would prefer more of a power type back.

I dont see Spiller leaving this offseason, maybe the one after, but he has little trade value after this down year and his contract is up after this one. If he does really well then we can franchise and trade him.

The players that come to mind that could leave are Pears, Chandler, Stevie (hope he stays though), Bradham, Graham, Urbik

I hope Marrone really puts his imprint on the team this offseason.

Wonder if super M fits in that category....?

I don't think so. Everything I heard about Mario is his strong work ethic and he hasn't done anything to cost us games. Stevie Johnson alone as costs us 2 games this year. He catches that ball week 1 against NE, we get the first down run out the clock and win and we all remember against ATL. Those were the two biggest games of the season as far as momentum goes and he comes up short when we needed our star to come through. I personally love SJ13, he's fun to watch and has amazing abilities but he doesn't come through when he needs to. I hope he gets traded to a contender and gets to play in the playoffs, but he will never lead Buffalo there.

I have the impression Marrone isn't as fascinated with Spiller as us fans are and would prefer more of a power type back.

I don't know about that. Spiller is a consummate professional and a real homerun hitter. I would be stunned if they cut or traded him. What they need to do is watch all the tape from last year, and use him in the exact same way as Chan did.

I won't comment on the guys on this team that we can only speculate on but there will be some surprises this offseason IMO.

I will comment in Rogers though. One of the preseason games I was sitting with a fan that said his friend was the one that cut all their hair (maybe all those crazy cuts they all had in camp) and said that Rogers acted as if he didn't care and had the general attitude that not only Buffalo wouldn't be his last stop but he got the feeling that Rogers felt he was bigger than this team and he was looking forward to an opportunity elsewhere. He also said Rogers was high as a kite.

Now, all this information could be false but this guy seemed to know a but of inside information. Either way, his information was somewhat confirmed when Rogers was cut. He had a better camp than others yet felt the hammer when most thought he would stay a while.

I don't think so. Everything I heard about Mario is his strong work ethic and he hasn't done anything to cost us games. Stevie Johnson alone as costs us 2 games this year. He catches that ball week 1 against NE, we get the first down run out the clock and win and we all remember against ATL. Those were the two biggest games of the season as far as momentum goes and he comes up short when we needed our star to come through. I personally love SJ13, he's fun to watch and has amazing abilities but he doesn't come through when he needs to. I hope he gets traded to a contender and gets to play in the playoffs, but he will never lead Buffalo there.

maybe our expectations of Stevie is too much. Who ever said he had to be the guy to "lead us to the playoffs"? Why can't he just be a solid WR that has decent to good numbers and a decent to good career. No one ever said he was Calvin Johnson or Jerry Rice.

I won't comment on the guys on this team that we can only speculate on but there will be some surprises this offseason IMO.

I will comment in Rogers though. One of the preseason games I was sitting with a fan that said his friend was the one that cut all their hair (maybe all those crazy cuts they all had in camp) and said that Rogers acted as if he didn't care and had the general attitude that not only Buffalo wouldn't be his last stop but he got the feeling that Rogers felt he was bigger than this team and he was looking forward to an opportunity elsewhere. He also said Rogers was high as a kite.

Now, all this information could be false but this guy seemed to know a but of inside information. Either way, his information was somewhat confirmed when Rogers was cut. He had a better camp than others yet felt the hammer when most thought he would stay a while.

maybe our expectations of Stevie is too much. Who ever said he had to be the guy to "lead us to the playoffs"? Why can't he just be a solid WR that has decent to good numbers and a decent to good career. No one ever said he was Calvin Johnson or Jerry Rice.

The C on his chest. Hes a team captain and needs to lead by example.

Please tell me Marrone is not another my way or the highway guy. That got "fat guy" Pat Williams about 5 pro bowl years.......for the Vikings. London Fletcher got moved out....Spikes....Lynch....and others....all because coaches/GMs whose egos were too big to realize that they are a part of the team.....not the whole team. They all think they are General Patton. Instead of looking inwardly and improving their coaching skills to motivate guys like this, who are inevitable on any roster of 53, they "make examples" of them and assemble a minor league roster. Get the talent....coach the talent. A real malcontent can go, but if you're waiting for 53 perfect individuals you'll be waiting for a while. This guy can't handle the relatively innocent Stevie Johnson? A guy who wants to stay in Buffalo and wants to win here? If he can't do that he should simply resign instead of cutting Johnson to look like some sort of tough guy. If he is unable to handle Stevie his failure is inevitable. Spare us the misery; we've had enough.

Marrone looks more and more like Gregg Williams every day. It's too bad really. I think either one could have been a good coach if they had just an ounce of humility. Greggo didn't/doesn't. Marrone???????

I posted this in the pre-season:

For what it's worth, I have an "inside source" (the best friend of one of the vets on the team), and he told me that there's a feeling amongst the vets that Marrone is somewhat over the top in terms of being hands on and controlling. The one example cited was that the Bills had a lesson during TC in how they were all supposed to stand during the national anthem (i.e., hold your helmet in this hand, put your feet like this, put your hand like this, etc.).

I sort of remember that and honestly at the time I was ok with it because we all have to learn and adapt. I was hopeful Marrone would. Now he is starting to look like Greggo 2.0 and has the Soviet media aka Brown running interference for him.

QB in the first round.

Every year.

Not committed to winning, commitment to team, work ethic, hard working, professionalism, blah blah BLAH

I can't wait until Marrone is gone in 2-3 years.

You should keep in mind those are Chris Browns words not Marrone's, but you won't.

I posted this in the pre-season:

For what it's worth, I have an "inside source" (the best friend of one of the vets on the team), and he told me that there's a feeling amongst the vets that Marrone is somewhat over the top in terms of being hands on and controlling. The one example cited was that the Bills had a lesson during TC in how they were all supposed to stand during the national anthem (i.e., hold your helmet in this hand, put your feet like this, put your hand like this, etc.).

After reading the brown answer, this was the first thing I thought of. Was going to reference that there's a balance to be had and i hope he lands in a reasonable spot here.

I'll also be curious how far it gets past players and into coaches.

Re:

Mario Williams leaving. No. Williams is a hard working devoted player. He may get a lot of celebrity but he earns it by dedication.

Re:

Steve Johnson leaving. No. Steve Johnson IS a team player. I know he has his selffish moments and I know he has a lot of instances where he does boneheaded things but he is a Buffalo Bills teammate and a player who loves his teammates. And, by all accounts, they love him. He is not a Tashard Choice type of player, a leader in the locker room and a friend to all. He is a player who makes a difference and does give it his all even when he has struggles or clutch failures. Go back and look at some of his catches this year in traffic, they are many spectacular examples.

Re: CJ Spiller leaving. Very possible. For as low as a 2nd or a packaged 3rd+ Spiller could be sent elsewhere. He has shown he is not a team player and has many examples of me-first type of behavior. I want CJ Spiller on this team but his cieling is clear on this team; a limitted role player.

Re: Chandler leaving. Hell no. I hope not. I do not know his cap #'s but as a #2 TE he would be among the best in the league. Lee Smith might be cut before the end of the season but I think there is a reason he's hung in there. On special teams he is almost a Mark Pike.

Interesting.

Ive been a big fan of Stevie Johnson over the years but I've done a 180 on him over the last year or two. The dude is a good WR and certainly a WR2 if not a low end WR1 but the drops he has on his resume at the most critical times are just killing it for me. Stevie has been lectured time and time again that he needs to adjust his mentality and act more like a professional and time and time again he keeps making hte same boneheaded mistakes(remember when he said they should nuke boston?). Eventually you get to the point where you gotta sever ties even though you know the guy has talent, I think marrone knows that a guy like Stevie is a cancer in the locker room

as for other players on the team who fit the bill of getting the axe:

Chandler (too many drops....player left over from old regime who was never really that great anyways), Searcy (not great in coverage, taken a couple bad penalties...old regime leftover), TJ Graham ( I know it, you know, marrone knows it...hes not going to ever be a good WR), lastly...both of our LGs will not be a starter on this team next season.

Great, cut all of the talented selfish guys, like Stevie and Da'Rick, and give me more Johnny Trie-Hards like Hogan.

No one is perfect. I will take the selfish me-first players over the ones who wouldn't make 30 other NFL rosters. They are WRs they are supposed to be selfish. Every stud has to be selfish to win. They want the ball and they make big plays. They don't want anyone else getting the ball and I dont blame them.

This makes it sound like we would cut Randy Moss and Michael Irvan.

Edited by peterpan

When a veteran of the team says that the tipped ball he had that ended up leading to a td didnt matter cuz it was in the beginning of the game, then my friend its time for him to go. Only the elite may be overlooked for something stupid like that, but hes not. Im sick of his BS. I would put money on it that hes shown the door by trade or cut. Edited by billsfan_34

Stevie, at this point, will not be a leading contributor to any deep playoff team.