Kelly 86 vs. Manuel 13

dezertbill

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jimbo was the unquestioned leader from day one, how did the "Bickering Bills" come about?

The Bickering Bills didn't come around until 89 when they started winning and developed some egos.

And it may not sound like much, but Kelly came in and threw for over 3500 yards, which at the time was crazy. Throwing for 3000 yards in a season was the bar to reach for QBs in the mid-80s.

Edited by QCity

This whole thread is lolbad.

You are comparing a raw rookie who many thought was a reach and has battled injuries twice this season to the greatest QB in franchise history who was technically in his 3rd season as a pro and what should have been his 4th as a Bill. It is apples and oranges here.

If we could just draft Shane Conlan next year AND trade our next few first rounders for Cornelius Bennett, then still manage to draft Thurman Thomas in the second round the year after. Then sign a big free agent wide receiver (future HOF) and I think we might be able to build something for just about any quarterback to work with. Oh wait, its 2013, not 1986. My bad.

Just wondering if you actually watched Kelly in 1986 or decided to pick up the stat book?

Earlier in the season I entertained the notion that this team resembles the 86 Bills team. I think I was very wrong, because there's a huge gulf in QB ability.

I actually did watch that 1986 season, specifically when the 2-6 Bills went to Tampa against a 1-7 Bucs team and lost 34-28 after falling behind 20-0 when Jim Kelly's pass to Robb Riddick went through his hands in the endzone in the final seconds cuz Riddick had that cast on his hand. I remember that game being a HUGE heartbreak for the team and fans. Sitting at 2-7 with their "savior QB" in the fold, everyone in the lockerroom was talking about how they were sick of losing and the sportscasters were opening questioning the direction of the team and if they would EVER break the losing funk that they had been stuck in for the last 3-4 years. The feeling was bringing Jim Kelly on would make them a playoff team AUTOMATICALLY. Little did we know it took 3 years to do so.

Good thing the Bills were patient.

Those who are saying I was comparing EJ Manuel as the next Jim Kelly obviously didn't read my whole post. I specifically saying I'm not. I'm just saying it's too early to say he WON'T be a great leader for this franchise. Im also not comparing the personalities of the two. I understand Jim had a different makeup. However because someone doesn't have a "linebacker" mentality doesn't mean they aren't competitive. Just because he doesn't take on defense lineman who sack him doesn't mean he can't be a champion.

For all of the nostradamus' out there, I'm amazed how your able to see in the future and absolutely GUARANTEE that Manuel's career can NEVER compare to Kelly's. Whatever job you have, you need to quit immediately and go to some swank future-telling parlor and make some serious cash!

IT'S TOO EARLY TO TELL.

For those of you that think Johnny Football is the answer, did you see the articles written about him this past summer...parents worrying whether all of the pressure will get to him. He couldn't even go to a college party without someone threatening to kick his a**. Reading about his father saying his biggest fear is getting that phone call in the middle of the night hearing that his son did something grave that he can't take back? Have you ever heard of Ryan Leaf...one of the cockiest most talented QB's who had a rocket of an arm and gaudy numbers at Washington St. and was actually being compared to Peyton Manning as to who would have a better NFL career? I remember all of the writers comparing Manning to Heath Shuler, and predicting that Peyton's talent wouldn't translate into the NFL, and that Leaf had "it" and a QB mentality that would make him a champion.

You just don't know.

Marrone made it clear that he expanded the playbook on Manuel from earlier in the year when he was experiencing more success and he looked a bit lost in the process, so he wants to pull back a little bit. What's wrong with that? It's the coaches job to ensure your QB is successful. It doesn't make Manuel an idiot. It just means he needs a bit more time to digest the whole offense. Missing 1/3 of the regular season and half of the preseason can do that to a rookie. Compared to players like Aaron Rodgers and Steve McNair who had seasons to learn behind starting QB's, they didn't light it up their rookie years (cuz they were on the bench) and they turned out OK.

The numbers between Manuel and Kelly are an example of how similar the two player's production is on the field early in their careers. I'm sorry, but an extra yard per play or 20 yards per game doesn't make Kelly's first year all that more extraordinary than Manuel's. Kelly's stats certainly didn't translate into more wins either. I think the fact that Manuel has scored more points than Kelly is worthy. I also think the fact that Manuel has less games in which his INT's are more than his TDs also holds weight. Just ask Geno Smith.

One poster asked what great things Manuel has done? How about after missing two weeks of preseason throwing 2 TD's and 0 INT's and coming within a few seconds of beating a Patriots team with a 105 QB rating on his first game as an NFL starter? How bout the Carolina comeback when he led the Bills down the field 80 yards in 1:38 with no timeouts for the game-winning TD? How about the Jets game when he completed 71 % of his passes with a QB rating of 121.9 and put up 37 points on the Rex Ryan led Jets defense ranked 11th in the league? But of course, stats don't mean anything. They are worthless, right?

Ignorance.

Give the kid time. Give the coaching staff time. Bills need to focus their draft picks on other positions that need help. That way Manuel might actually get time in the pocket, or have a receiver that he can count on to make a play late, or have a defensive player that is actually able to make a play on 3rd down or when the other team is deep in the red zone so that we aren't having to score 30 points every week.

Just a thought, call me nuts.

This isn't two years of Fitzpatrick nightmares or seasons watching Trent Edwards stink up the joint as veterans. Were not watching Kelly Holcomb play seasons of crappy football after 8 years in the league. No one sitting their butts behind their computer right now is qualified to say whether EJ will or won't be successful based on a handful of games his rookie season. If that were the case, you wouldn't be commenting on your PCs, but making the decisions yourself in Buffalo's front office.

Until I have a reason to think negatively, I'm going to think positively. I like Marrone. I like Manuel. I like our new defensive coordinator. I like that our O Coordinator can win with back-up QBs. I like our new talent. I'm excited about the future of this franchise. I am a reasonable sportsfan that puts faith in a front office that knows more about the game than I. Until I see plenty of evidence (such as 3 years of Jauron, and the list goes on and on) to the contrary, I'm not going to lump the current Bills in that group.

They deserve a chance.

Edited by dezertbill

I actually did watch that 1986 season, specifically when the 2-6 Bills went to Tampa against a 1-7 Bucs team and lost 34-28 after falling behind 20-0 when Jim Kelly's pass to Robb Riddick went through his hands in the endzone in the final seconds cuz Riddick had that cast on his hand. I remember that game being a HUGE heartbreak for the team and fans. Sitting at 2-7 with their "savior QB" in the fold, everyone in the lockerroom was talking about how they were sick of losing and the sportscasters were opening questioning the direction of the team and if they would EVER break the losing funk that they had been stuck in for the last 3-4 years. The feeling was bringing Jim Kelly on would make them a playoff team AUTOMATICALLY. Little did we know it took 3 years to do so.

Those who are saying I was comparing EJ Manuel as the next Jim Kelly obviously didn't read my whole post. I specifically saying I'm not. I'm just saying it's too early to say he WON'T be a great leader for this franchise. Im also not comparing the personalities of the two. I understand Jim had a different makeup. However because someone doesn't have a "linebacker" mentality doesn't mean they aren't competitive. Just because he doesn't take on defense lineman who sack him doesn't mean he can't be a champion.

For all of the nostradamus' out there, I'm amazed how your able to see in the future and absolutely GUARANTEE that Manuel's career can NEVER compare to Kelly's. Whatever job you have, you need to quit immediately and go to some swank future-telling parlor and make some serious cash!

IT'S TOO EARLY TO TELL.

For those of you that think Johnny Football is the answer, did you see the articles written about him this past summer...parents worrying whether all of the pressure will get to him. He couldn't even go to a college party without someone threatening to kick his a**. Reading about his father saying his biggest fear is getting that phone call in the middle of the night hearing that his son did something grave that he can't take back? Have you ever heard of Ryan Leaf...one of the cockiest most talented QB's who had a rocket of an arm and gaudy numbers at Washington St. and was actually being compared to Peyton Manning as to who would have a better NFL career? I remember all of the writers comparing Manning to Heath Shuler, and predicting that Peyton's talent wouldn't translate into the NFL, and that Leaf had "it" and a QB mentality that would make him a champion.

You just don't know.

Marrone made it clear that he expanded the playbook on Manuel from earlier in the year when he was experiencing more success and he looked a bit lost in the process, so he wants to pull back a little bit. What's wrong with that? It's the coaches job to ensure your QB is successful. It doesn't make Manuel an idiot. It just means he needs a bit more time to digest the whole offense. Missing 1/3 of the regular season and half of the preseason can do that to a rookie. Compared to players like Aaron Rodgers and Steve McNair who had seasons to learn behind starting QB's, they didn't light it up their rookie years (cuz they were on the bench) and they turned out OK.

The numbers between Manuel and Kelly are an example of how similar the two player's production is on the field early in their careers. I'm sorry, but an extra yard per play or 20 yards per game doesn't make Kelly's first year all that more extraordinary than Manuel's. Kelly's stats certainly didn't translate into more wins either. I think the fact that Manuel has scored more points than Kelly is worthy. I also think the fact that Manuel has less games in which his INT's are more than his TDs also holds weight. Just ask Geno Smith.

One poster asked what great things Manuel has done? How about after missing two weeks of preseason throwing 2 TD's and 0 INT's and coming within a few seconds of beating a Patriots team with a 105 QB rating on his first game as an NFL starter? How bout the Carolina comeback when he led the Bills down the field 80 yards in 1:38 with no timeouts for the game-winning TD? How about the Jets game when he completed 71 % of his passes with a QB rating of 121.9 and put up 37 points on the Rex Ryan led Jets defense ranked 11th in the league? But of course, stats don't mean anything. They are worthless, right?

Ignorance.

Give the kid time. Give the coaching staff time. Bills need to focus their draft picks on other positions that need help. That way Manuel might actually get time in the pocket, or have a receiver that he can count on to make a play late, or have a defensive player that is actually able to make a play on 3rd down or when the other team is deep in the red zone so that we aren't having to score 30 points every week.

This isn't two years of Fitzpatrick nightmares or seasons watching Trent Edwards stink up the joint as veterans. Were not watching Kelly Holcomb play seasons of crappy football after 8 years in the league. No one sitting their butts behind their computer right now is qualified to say whether EJ will or won't be successful based on a handful of games his rookie season. If that were the case, you wouldn't be commenting on your PCs, but making the decisions yourself in Buffalo's front office.

Until I have a reason to think negatively, I'm going to think positively. I like Marrone. I like Manuel. I like our new defensive coordinator. I like that our O Coordinator can win with back-up QBs. I like our new talent. I'm excited about the future of this franchise. I am a reasonable sportsfan that puts faith in a front office that knows more about the game than I. Until I see plenty of evidence (such as 3 years of Jauron, and the list goes on and on) to the contrary, I'm not going to lump the current Bills in that group.

They deserve a chance.

Out of all the optimistic posts I've seen here, this is the one that actually makes the most sense. Simply it's too early. History has shown us so many different examples of failure and success that we just need to give it a bit of time to know for sure.

They deserve a chance.

I agree with most of what you said, especially that it's still early. But c'mon man you titled this thread "Kelly 86 vs Manuel 13," what did you expect?

I bet a lot of the hand wringing would subside if we could actually see EJ throw the ball over 15 yards in the air. I'm not talking bombs, just deep outs and middle seam routes. Right now it's just a QB who spins in the pocket and fires 5 yard checkdowns (and he does fire those screen passes like a laser for some reason). I'm sure it's not all him, Hackett calls a conservative passing game, but you can't statistically compare 2 QBs that are almost 30 years apart.

I'm sure there were people on talk shows then asking for the Bills to cut Kelly an draft Vinny Testaverde, the number 1 overall pick in 1987 from the same school that Kelly attended. Imagine had that happened????

There were sports talk shows in 1986? Maybe one talk show, right? I was 6 years old, though so I could be wrong. I remember Art Wander on weeknights on WGR in the early '90s but I don't know if he went back that far.

Kelly was a bit different though. Dunno if this was mentioned earlier but I think you have to account for his years in the USFL.

What GREAT things r u r talking about that Manuel has done? I haven't seen any greatness... I think he plays the game w absolutely no emotion. And who wants humility from their QB? I want a cockiness that spreads throughout the team.. This is football, not student government. The problem w EJ besides his horrible accuracy and total lack of feel for the position is that he HAS NO ATTITUDE! That the team did not see this when scouting him is absolutely astounding. Bring on Johnny Football!!

Agreed. Used to think he was calm & cool. Now it looks more like he doesn't have any passion. At least Thad brought it each time he hit the field.

Edited by BilLions

Not valid. I was too young for that league but the talent level was diluted, Kelly played in a run and shot, and the league was a little arena league like.

I have to disagree with 2 points.

1. The USFL was not "arena league like", not even close. The NFL today has a much better chance of being compared to the arena league. Yes, Kelly ran the Run 'N Shoot, but the Gamblers were the only team running it, even in the USFL. The most "radical" differences between the leagues at that point in time were things like 2 point conversions and instant replay.

2. The talent level was diluted. That's a bit of misnomer. Yes, I get the USFL took talent away from the NFL. But look at today's NFL compared to the NFL of the late 80's. There are 4 more teams. Today's NFL teams have to deal with a salary cap and free agency, making it almost impossible to acquire and retain superior talent across all positions. It also destroys depth.

As for EJ, IMHO, it's little early trying to make any judgements about the guy, good or bad. I do not get the rationale in the rush to judgement of a player that has yet to finish out his first year yet. Let him play the year out, then assess.

Patience isn't something this organization should expect of its fans. Not at this point. Not when potential relocation looms and failure is all we've known for so long. They can't afford to be patient and have it fail. If they decide to be patient with Manuel, then he HAS to turn into a pro bowl QB or it'll be time to clean house again. Rinse, wash, repeat. That cycle needs to end. Manuel isn't going to do that.

If you compare Jim Kelly's rookie season vs. EJ Manuel, here is where it stacks up so far....

Kelly 1986: 16 games

Winning Pct: .250

Pass Yds/Gm: 224

Completion %: 59.4

Y/A: 7.49

TD/Int Ratio: 1.29

QB Rating: 83.3

Games in which offense scored 20 pts or more: 5 of 16

% of games with more interceptions than TD's: 31%

Manuel 2013 9 games thus far

Winning Pct: .333

Pass Yds/Gm: 198

Completion %: 57.8

Y/A: 6.31

TD/Int Ratio: 1.12

QB Rating: 75.4

Games in which offense scored 20 pts or more: 7 of 9

% of games with more interceptions than TD's: 22%

In Jim Kelly's 8th game of his rookie campaign he was 13-26 for 166, 0 TD/ 2 INT in a 23-3 loss vs. Patriots. I'm sure there were people on talk shows then asking for the Bills to cut Kelly an draft Vinny Testaverde, the number 1 overall pick in 1987 from the same school that Kelly attended. Imagine had that happened????

Sunday was Manuel's 9th game.

I'm not calling Manuel the next Jim Kelly. However this does put Manuel's start in perspective. I don't feel it's nearly as bad as a majority on this board is making it out to be. Mind you, this was a Jim Kelly that was older than Manuel, and actually had pro experience playing in the USFL prior to joining the Bills.

I believe these stats clearly state the obvious, that half way through a players "rookie" season in the NFL is not enough time to make a judgement on how a player's career will end up, or whether they have the skillset or ability to lead the Bills to great things. No matter how horrible you make his performance out to be, it's too early to tell.

In the following year 1987, Kelly's completion percentage was STILL below 60%, including the final two games in which his QB rating was in the 40s and the Bills were held to 7 points in both games, which were losses. Those two losses led the Bills to ANOTHER losing record.

It's rare that champions are built overnight, especially teams that are starting from scratch as the Bills did this past year.

Patience is required in situations such as ours. I said week one that it's going to take atleast a season and a half to get a feel for Manuel's growth, and I still believe that. I want to see him after an off season, where things slow down for him, he gets a full preseason and enters the year with his rookie season in the past. Thats when an honest assessment can be made about his progress.

So, for now, history is just about repeating itself. Whether that continues or not, now is not the time to say.

I like Manuel's attitude, his competitiveness, his humility, and his maturity. He's done some great things. He just needs to be more consistent.

I'm thinking positive on this one, and I have history on my side.

That was a totally different era, today's game is much more favorable to QBs, Jim would be Peyton Manning with more talent today.

Even in his first year with the Bills, you could tell that Kelly was a franchise QB. Manuel looks terrible. We haven't even seen a glimpse of anything to get excited.

Manziel's attitude sort of reminds me of Kelly's.

You can tell a winner when you see it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EJ in home games:

3-2 record, 91.8 rating, 62.8%, 7 TD, 3 INT, 7.22 ypa, 213 ypg

Very good point, I'm surprised nobody has made comment on this.

Perhaps he just might play a lot better when he is confident and comfortable......and maybe....if we're really lucky.....he'll develop into a confident QB who is comfortable playing on the road and have similar stats across the board.

3-1 at RWS btw......with the loss being week one with the Brady comeback(21-23).

Edited by Dibs

He was 26 and already had 2 years of pro football under his belt. I think anyone saying EJ will be the next Kelly is dumb. At the same point, anyone saying EJ is done after 1 year is also dumb.

What is also dumb is putting your eggs all in one basket with a QB that has clearly has shown the warning signs of being a bust this season. I am not saying the Bills should be done with Manuel, but if they lose out they will be picking in the top 3 & at that point I think you really need to consider drafting the best QB on the board. Worst case at least your hedging your bet if Manuel does not work out, best case you got 2 good young QB's on the roster; a pretty good problem to have..

Edited by Gordio

IT'S TOO EARLY TO TELL.

You just don't know.

Ignorance.

They deserve a chance.

Excellent post. :thumbsup:

I have to disagree with 2 points.

1. The USFL was not "arena league like", not even close. The NFL today has a much better chance of being compared to the arena league. Yes, Kelly ran the Run 'N Shoot, but the Gamblers were the only team running it, even in the USFL. The most "radical" differences between the leagues at that point in time were things like 2 point conversions and instant replay.

2. The talent level was diluted. That's a bit of misnomer. Yes, I get the USFL took talent away from the NFL. But look at today's NFL compared to the NFL of the late 80's. There are 4 more teams. Today's NFL teams have to deal with a salary cap and free agency, making it almost impossible to acquire and retain superior talent across all positions. It also destroys depth.

As for EJ, IMHO, it's little early trying to make any judgements about the guy, good or bad. I do not get the rationale in the rush to judgement of a player that has yet to finish out his first year yet. Let him play the year out, then assess.

I will definitely differ because I was really young at that time. But it seems like it was like the ABA/ NBA. There was talent in both leagues but since the NFL was the more established league, there was more talent there. Thus, Kelly in the USFL was playing against CFL and Arena players at times. His numbers were still crazy though.