Kelly 86 vs. Manuel 13

dezertbill

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is also dumb is putting your eggs all in one basket with a QB that has clearly has shown the warning signs of being a bust this season. I am not saying the Bills should be done with Manuel, but if they lose out they will be picking in the top 3 & at that point I think you really need to consider drafting the best QB on the board. Worst case at least your hedging your bet if Manuel does not work out, best case you got 2 good young QB's on the roster; a pretty good problem to have..

Fair point but I think the whole trading young QBs for high draft picks has been murdered by guys like RJ, Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, etc. I think it's laughable that folks act like a guy like Cousins could fetch a high draft pick. Teams are very vary of trading for these one game wonders.

EJ is a sunken cost. The general rule of thumb is to give a new coach/ draft pick at least 3 years before making an evaluation. I think you can do that after 2 years. You get more talent around EJ (how would Mat Stafford look if he didn't have Calvin Johnson to throw to?) and you evaluate him at the end of next season. For some reason, people act like there aren't talented QBs every year. As it is every year, the next draft class will be better than the current one.

That said, if a guy like Aaron Murray slips to the 3rd, I'd be one board with that. But why not get as much possible talent (a top wr and/or TE and a upgrade on the oline) and see once & for all if EJ has it. And if he doesn't, the next guy steps into a great situation. But throwing back to back picks on QBs is the wrong way to build a football team.

Very good point, I'm surprised nobody has made comment on this.

Perhaps he just might play a lot better when he is confident and comfortable......and maybe....if we're really lucky.....he'll develop into a confident QB who is comfortable playing on the road and have similar stats across the board.

3-1 at RWS btw......with the loss being week one with the Brady comeback(21-23).

Good point as always. Obviously he's on another level, but Brees' numbers drop quite a bit away from New Orleans.

This is dumb.

Comparing stats of qbs is dumb.

Stats do not make a franchise qb.

Jimbo was the unquestioned leader from day one. EJ is just trying to fit in and get by and improve.

Jimbo was trying his heart out to make plays all over the field. EJ is trying not to mess up

Jimbo was trying to be the greatest QB in history, from day one. EJ is trying to do his best or something.

You can tell when you have a real franchise QB, even in his rookie year. And you can usually tell when you dont.

Yeah…pretty much nailed it.

Was hard watching Jerry Butler suffer that broken ankle again. IIRC, that was his last play as an NFL player. Fitting it was a TD.

GO BILLS!!!

I think that was it . Last play for him, he was very underrated. I put him third after Reed and Eric Moulds in Bills History. Even ahead of Lofton.

Until I have a reason to think negatively, I'm going to think positively. I like Marrone. I like Manuel. I like our new defensive coordinator. I like that our O Coordinator can win with back-up QBs. I like our new talent. I'm excited about the future of this franchise. I am a reasonable sportsfan that puts faith in a front office that knows more about the game than I. Until I see plenty of evidence (such as 3 years of Jauron, and the list goes on and on) to the contrary, I'm not going to lump the current Bills in that group.

They deserve a chance.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Just wondering if you actually watched Kelly in 1986 or decided to pick up the stat book?

Earlier in the season I entertained the notion that this team resembles the 86 Bills team. I think I was very wrong, because there's a huge gulf in QB ability.

I think this may have been an attempt to show that if Kelly had been judged on QB stats alone, people would be screaming "off with his head!" (and they were at times).

Like you, Gerry, I was really hoping this season and this team was going to head in the direction of 1986, not 1984, sigh.

BTW: I was looking at stats for the hell of this before reading this post.

STATS for EJ and a 1988 Kelly were quite similar, but the TEAM win/loss record was 12-4 and they had the "blizzard defense" too!

I have not given up on EJ, but I am also not sold.

The people of TBD have spoken. Statistical analysis has been debunked as the pseudoscience it is. Players should only be evaluated by the gut and eye test, cause that don't lie. After all, you can always tell. Everything else is for losers!

I know you're being facetious, but I don't think anybody is down on statistical analysis, but here's the thing: Stats alone don't tell the whole story.

It's kind of one of those deals like when a two-win team's defense puts up great numbers against the pass. Are they really that good against the pass, or is it because opponents run the ball because they always seem to have the lead and want to kill clock?

I know you're being facetious, but I don't think anybody is down on statistical analysis, but here's the thing: Stats alone don't tell the whole story.

It's kind of one of those deals like when a two-win team's defense puts up great numbers against the pass. Are they really that good against the pass, or is it because opponents run the ball because they always seem to have the lead and want to kill clock?

Read through this mess.

Stats are for losers. Stats are dumb. Stats do not apply to the game of football. Only wins and losses should be considered in evaluating QBs (except for when the trends are inconvenient to the specific argument). Everything else is bull ****.

This thread is replete with this asinine rhetoric. Stats in the hands of idiots certainly produce some losing conclusions, but that doesn't mean stats aren't useful. No one has argued that statistics alone tell the whole story, yet every time someone wants to take a look at the numbers, there is a chorus of misapplied Parcells and Belichek quotes about records and stats.

Read through this mess.

Stats are for losers. Stats are dumb. Stats do not apply to the game of football. Only wins and losses should be considered in evaluating QBs (except for when the trends are inconvenient to the specific argument). Everything else is bull ****.

This thread is replete with this asinine rhetoric. Stats in the hands of idiots certainly produce some losing conclusions, but that doesn't mean stats aren't useful. No one has argued that statistics alone tell the whole story, yet every time someone wants to take a look at the numbers, there is a chorus of misapplied Parcells and Belichek quotes about records and stats.

No argument there.

If you are a true stat believer then you must be a hardcore left winged democrat and a hardcore right winged republican at the same time because one look at politics will tell you just how effective stats can be at twisting the truth.

In sports, stats are constantly used to conveniently help make a false statement appear true. The fact of the matter is that the really important stats aren't even measured. You could have the best QB in the league trying to force passes to receivers who can't get open and can't catch. He will have poor stats even though he is a terrific quarterback. You can have a below average quarterback throwing passes to an exceptionally talented bunch of receivers and have it make him look like an elite quarterback. Just look at Chicago.

The stats that matter the most aren't the stats that people track and report and mention in forums like this one. The stats mentioned in forums like this one are more like smoke screens used to blur the truth and twist it in the posters favor.

Well, like it or not we have another whole year to evaluate ej. There's no way they draft another quarterback.

With the obvious holes that need to be filled (ol,wr,te,lb) they would be stupid to even draft one in the late rounds that will probably be no better than Thad.

Granted, I'm as sceptical of ej as the rest of you, but rest assured if he sucks next year there will be quarterbacks in the 2015 draft.

How about comparing EJ's rookie season to more contemporary QB's the game was different back then.

Matthew Stafford? Eli Manning? Hell even Drew Brees had an under 60% 28TD 31 INT in his first 2 seasons as a starter in SD. I guess he was done then too.

28 TD's and 31 INT'S is a lot different from what Manuel is doing. Brees was taking too many risks. EJ can't score consistently. I know what QB I would want. A penchant for throwing into double coverage is easier to fix than learning how to throw.

I think Losman and Edwards looked like they had more potential during their first years as QB. EJ just doesn't look like he has much to offer. He checks down more than Edwards, and he doesn't have a deep ball like Losman. I suppose the marketing guru Brandon felt like the Bills had to draft a QB this past year to sell some tickets. Fans were pretty tired of Ryan Fitzpatrick. It's just too bad that it was a bad draft class for quarterbacks...typical Bills luck.