Kelly 86 vs. Manuel 13

dezertbill

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing any Qb to the best Qb in our franchise history is silly. But do I expect EJ to be a better QB at 26 with a few seasons under his belt (like Jimbo)? Yes, I do. But it's hard to imagine the Bills having another Kelly or even being in the playoffs at this point. :(

Considering where each was drafted, it's not silly at all. Kelly was great, a legit hall of famer, but why can't we compare the career starts of two mid-first round QBs? It's hard to argue that one doesn't look way better than the other. Hell, I think Andy Dalton looked better in his rookie year than Manuel.

@Jester - Thanks I needed that. Much better mood now.

Man those games were fun!

I honestly don't see how anyone could ever think EJ is going to be as good as Kelly was. Come on man... Get real...

The only people who would honestly think that are people who did not witness those glory years firsthand.

It just goes to show you how misleading stats really can be. No doubt about it.

A couple of things:

As some pointed out, Kelly was a 3rd year pro during his "rookie" year in Buffalo, and,

Comparing the stats is an exercise in futility because of all of the variables, ie, professional experience, quality of opponents, quality of teammates, et al. If you could put Jimbo on the field with today's players, or EJ on the field with the players back then, that would yield more accurate results. But since that's not going to happen, what's the point.

Is EJ the next Jimbo? Maybe. Or maybe not. Let's circle back in EJ's 3rd pro season and take another look, shall we?

Considering where each was drafted, it's not silly at all. Kelly was great, a legit hall of famer, but why can't we compare the career starts of two mid-first round QBs? It's hard to argue that one doesn't look way better than the other. Hell, I think Andy Dalton looked better in his rookie year than Manuel.

Dalton had probably the 2nd best wr in football to throw to. How many Qbs become HOFers? It's so rare. But again, Kelly was 26 and had 2 years of pro ball under his belt before his rookie year. That's a huge help.

You can tell when you have a real franchise QB, even in his rookie year. And you can usually tell when you dont.

It also wasn't Kelly's rookie year.

Brett Favre was traded for nothing after his rookie year. Drew Breew was allowed to become a free agent after his rookie contract. Brady and Rodgers were burried on the depth chart their rookie year.

I'd love to see this list of QBs who you could just tell we're franchise QBs their first year? Troy Aikman?

Flacco? Nope, he was nearly run out of town his second season. Big Ben, try again, couldn't even win the starting job in preseason to a nobody.

So really who? Manning? Not Eli.

This you just know thing is stupid. The game is all about confidence, hard work and some physical attributes. The ones who succeed seem to have an over abundance of the first two... And that has ALWAYS been true.

What GREAT things r u r talking about that Manuel has done? I haven't seen any greatness... I think he plays the game w absolutely no emotion. And who wants humility from their QB? I want a cockiness that spreads throughout the team.. This is football, not student government. The problem w EJ besides his horrible accuracy and total lack of feel for the position is that he HAS NO ATTITUDE! That the team did not see this when scouting him is absolutely astounding. Bring on Johnny Football!!

You want Johnny Football rolling into Foxborough, slinging it into tight windows for game winning TDs and looking over at Belichik and making hand gestures.

This is dumb.

Comparing stats of qbs is dumb.

Stats do not make a franchise qb.

Jimbo was the unquestioned leader from day one. EJ is just trying to fit in and get by and improve.

Jimbo was trying his heart out to make plays all over the field. EJ is trying not to mess up

Jimbo was trying to be the greatest QB in history, from day one. EJ is trying to do his best or something.

You can tell when you have a real franchise QB, even in his rookie year. And you can usually tell when you dont.

I would also imagine that EJ has a MUCH BETTER cast of players around him than Kelly did in 86.

Draft a QB every year until we get a HOF type QB. It is that simple. Once you find the next great one, trade away the 3 or 4 average to good ones. Sure the league will make fun of us for 3 or 4 years. But when we have a HOF type QB no one will be laughing anymore.

Draft a QB every year until we get a HOF type QB. It is that simple. Once you find the next great one, trade away the 3 or 4 average to good ones. Sure the league will make fun of us for 3 or 4 years. But when we have a HOF type QB no one will be laughing anymore.

the thing is, you dont know you have a HOF QB right away

people saying EJ isnt that guy have their heads up their arses, as do people saying that he IS that gay....

you must be patient

I actually used to think like that but it's just not logical. What if the next guy you drafts struggles, as all rookies do? You just draft another one? At what point do you stop and say maybe we should give a guy more than a year to prove himself?

San Diego got nothing for Brees. Now, you couldn't trade Brees for 3 1st rounders. Rivers is a pretty good QB and that's eased the blow a little bit. But how many SD fans wish they would have been a little more patient with Brees right now?

P.S. In no way am I comparing EJ to Brees. But in Brees' first year as a starter (his 2nd year in the NFL), he threw 17 tds and 16 Ints.

God it hurts to see what a real team looked like.

Even more depressing!

and yet that team was 4-12, with Kelly throwing crucial 4th qtr picks in at least 3 games that i remember.

And the next year 7-8 in a strike shorten season...but they did not fire the whole damn team..

scoring only 7 in the last two games of the year when they still had a shot at the playoffs..again this place would have exploded!

Wonder what this board would have done to him with those picks

Edited by plenzmd1