Backup QB options for next season

YoloinOhio

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Schaub only goes to a team where he has a shot to start. He would be the best choice on the list though unlikely for him to join the Bills. After watching Fitzbeardy play against Indy the other day I am not interested in yet another team's suspect starter. You get what you saw previously.

Thad was serviceable and my guess is that he is the guy unless the Bills draft someone.

Why WOULDNT we want Thad as our backup?

Personally I think our QB situation is set......best we have had in years.

We need a REAL number 2 guy that isnt named TJ Graham.......a TE that can run and block......a dominant left guard.......

Something else to think about.....I wonder if Pettine is just playing with what he has this year but TRULY wants to go to a 3/4 scheme....if that is the case we need to start looking for a big fatty true nose to go in the middle.

Link? Not doubting you just haven't seen that

Ohio sports radio was talking about it today - basically because they want to know if Dalton should be re-signed in Cincy or they should look for someone else or draft a guy. Cousins would be someone to come in and compete with Dalton for the job. It sounded like it was a hot topic so not sure where the report/rumor originated that Skins wanted to trade him for picks. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I have seen some people say they think Thad is a viable backup and others say we need to draft another guy to be EJ's backup/compete for the starting job. I would like to see the Bills sign a veteran instead of adding yet another rookie to the mix. Here are some options and former starting QBs who are either FAs or likely to be cut as teams move on or draft a new guy:

Gabbert - Jags moving on, could be an OK backup but not really a "vet"

Ponder - will get cut, not sure about fit as backup b/c EJ/Ponder duo at FSU kind of weird

Schaub - will get cut, could be an OK backup because vet with playoff exp

Cousins - would require trade, low experience but high upside for success based on limited action

Mallett - FA after this year, not sure if Pats will sign him

Sanchez - could be OK? Will get another chance somewhere, likely. Playoff experience?

Freeman - FA, Vikes will likely not re-sign

Vick - Interesting option, not sure about mentorship for EJ which is what I would want from a vet

Would you want any of these guys over Thad? Move Thad to 3rd QB or cut him?

The loser of EJ Manuel vs. first round pick

If this staff likes Thad, why go in any other direction?

Really the only thing is he's a (restricted) free agent next year. I imagine we tender him, but would have to do it at the 3rd round level to get any compensation since he was a UDFA

Kirk Cousins has become the most overrated player in the history of the NFL. The second he gets extended playing time, folks will finally realize how completely average he is. If the Slurs get a 3rd or higher for him, it would be an absolute heist.

I think Thad is a solid backup but I also won't mind a more seasoned backup like Schaub. I also still like to see what Freeman could do with real coaching. Dude's still only 25.

I think Schaub only goes to a team where he has a shot to start. He would be the best choice on the list though unlikely for him to join the Bills. After watching Fitzbeardy play against Indy the other day I am not interested in yet another team's suspect starter. You get what you saw previously.

Thad was serviceable and my guess is that he is the guy unless the Bills draft someone.

Unless EJ lights up the last month here - he may be one of the sorter leashes next year. I don't think they draft a guy high but I think a guy like Schaub could see a path to playing time here... Once you knock out the 12 playoff teams and the 3-4 teams that draft guys, then some of the teams like Atlanta, Pittsburgh and such.... Were one of the top 10 destinations potentially for a vet that hopes to play.